Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #181
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay...I want to make a 'life of the party' joke at your expense here but I'm going to let it slide because...you're not wrong.

While minor differences in costs like those shouldnt really make a huge difference, I think you nailed the spirit of the argument.

I'd rather watch a movie or a hockey game with my friends and family in comfort. The cost element is important as well, we all know that going to hockey games or movies has become an abhorrently expensive proposition lately.

But I think the real element is comfort.

I can watch a hockey game on my couch, with my friends drinking what I want with food that I want and not have to worry about fighting 20,000 other people to get home.

You lose the atmosphere. Thats a sacrifice. If it was a crucial game, the playoffs, etc then thats a harder call. But Flames vs. Blue Jackets in November? Thanks. I'll stay home.

I think an element of what Schank's had to offer was a substitute for that atmosphere. You're not at the game, but you might be watching it with a few dozen other people in the same environment.
Until they start bottling Heroin Beer............

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #182
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Until they start bottling Heroin Beer............
I think if you're in the market for that you can get some on 12th Avenue and 4th street.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:19 PM   #183
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's all about balance.

You can go for a few drinks once in a while, and still get full value from the rest of your life. People all over the world do it. Adult men going to a pub is common in just about every place of the world, that allows drinking, but Canada, and specifically Western Canada.

In Canada the attitude that "priorities change" and only someone at a "different point in their lives" can enjoy a moderate amount of drinks with friends is strangely pervasive.

It's simple social conservatism and puritanism in sheep's clothing. I couldn't possibly enjoy drinks with friends unless I had not taken care of other priorities or was at a point in my life where I didn't understand responsibility?
I agree, balance is key. But that’s a far cry from blanket stating that all adults with kids and/or over 35 are lame and don’t hang out with their friends and are afraid to.
At no point did I suggest friends can’t hang out and it’s pervasive to do so. I’m not sure where that came from. Perhaps there’s more content back in this thread you were discussing that I missed as I didn’t read it all through, and if so I apologize.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #184
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac98 View Post
I agree, balance is key. But that’s a far cry from blanket stating that all adults with kids and/or over 35 are lame and don’t hang out with their friends and are afraid to.
At no point did I suggest friends can’t hang out and it’s pervasive to do so. I’m not sure where that came from. Perhaps there’s more content back in this thread you were discussing that I missed as I didn’t read it all through, and if so I apologize.
I was discussing why sports bars, generally, are not as popular in Canada as other parts of the world. Based on my experience, it seems far more common for adults to meet with friends for drinks and sporting events in other parts of the world. Even when I go to an international event like the Rugby 7s, the majority of the adults drinking seem to be migrants from outside of Canada.

It seems to be a thing in Canada, particularly in Western Canada, where there are extreme negative connotations associated with meeting with other adults for a few drinks.

It's also something relatively new. Hence, why a sports bar, in a city like Calgary, which is quite sport focused, just cannot succeed.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #185
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
in Western Canada, where there are extreme negative connotations associated with meeting with other adults for a few drinks.
There is not. Where do you get this idea?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 10:38 AM   #186
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It's also something relatively new. Hence, why a sports bar, in a city like Calgary, which is quite sport focused, just cannot succeed.
Schanks succeeded for 25 years with bad food, bad beer, and poor service, and was finally brought down by a ####ing pandemic. I've also never even heard of the idea that it's frowned upon for adults to gather for drinks in Western Canada, I would need octopus arms to count the successful bars filled with people over 30 on my fingers.

I'm not sure what reality you're living in, but it ain't the same as the rest of us.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #187
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Even in this thread, there were already comments about how drinking is only for people at a certain point in their life. Within that comment is the connotation that anyone who drinks is neglecting other parts of their life, like career, children, family etc... I'd call that a fairly extreme negative association between drinking and some kind of moral failure.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #188
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even in this thread, there were already comments about how drinking is only for people at a certain point in their life. Within that comment is the connotation that anyone who drinks is neglecting other parts of their life, like career, children, family etc... I'd call that a fairly extreme negative association between drinking and some kind of moral failure.
Drinking is bad and you're bad and should feel bad.

+1 example
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #189
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Schanks succeeded for 25 years with bad food, bad beer, and poor service, and was finally brought down by a ####ing pandemic. I've also never even heard of the idea that it's frowned upon for adults to gather for drinks in Western Canada, I would need octopus arms to count the successful bars filled with people over 30 on my fingers.

I'm not sure what reality you're living in, but it ain't the same as the rest of us.
Shanks is horrible.

Part of the reason for that was lack of resources to improve the place. Conversely, no new sports bars arose. Meanwhile, down south sports bars are getting bigger and bigger. Through the entire weekend, these places are packed with people of all ages.

Meanwhile in Calgary, where not only local teams are very well supported, but there is a significant following for non-domestic sports like the NFL, there isn't a single popular sports bar. Calgary is very much a sports town, yet no one is going out to see the games.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #190
Suave
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I guess we are all at home drinking alone?

Alcohol consumption per capita
Yukon Territory [13.5 litres per capita]
Northwest Territory [11.5 litres per capita]
Newfoundland & Labrador [9 litres per capita]
Alberta [9 litres per capita]
Quebec [8.5 litres per capita]
Saskatchewan [8.5 litres per capita]
British Columbia [8.5 litres per capita]
Prince Edward Island [8 litres per capita]
Manitoba [8 litres per capita]
Ontario [8 litres per capita]
Nova Scotia [8 litres per capita]
New Brunswick [7.5 litres per capita]
Nunavut [2.5 litres per capita]
Link
Suave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #191
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I don't like watching sports in a group - too many distractions, and quite often people in your group are not really that interested in the game and want to socialize during play. The game is just an excuse for them to get together and socialize.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #192
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
There isn't a single person who has said drinking is only for people at a certain point in their life. One person said Schanks was like that, citing the bad food and sports bar vibe, but not a single person has said drinking in general or going out to the bar in general.

In fact, you're the only person who came close, saying that to become a bar regular you had to "abandon your responsibilities." So, the negative connotation is weirdly coming from you? lol

Quote:
Shanks is horrible.

Part of the reason for that was lack of resources to improve the place. Conversely, no new sports bars arose. Meanwhile, down south sports bars are getting bigger and bigger. Through the entire weekend, these places are packed with people of all ages.

Meanwhile in Calgary, where not only local teams are very well supported, but there is a significant following for non-domestic sports like the NFL, there isn't a single popular sports bar. Calgary is very much a sports town, yet no one is going out to see the games.
Calgary isn't much of a sports town. Maybe hockey, but that's a stretch. The Flames do well enough when they do well enough. All of our other professional teams are largely ignored.

The answer is pretty simple and it has nothing to do with a shame around drinking. Calgary (and maybe Western Canada, I don't know) is obsessed with Irish Pubs and Brew Pubs. Sure, in the states there are sports bars opening up left and right. Here? That's brew pubs. I guarantee you couldn't name all the ones that opened in the last two years or are getting set to open.

Calgarians don't seem to care about sports as much as Americans, but they love drinking together, they would just rather drink a nicer beer and chat with their friends than sit with a room temperature bud light staring at a TV.

But even Irish pubs like Limericks balance both worlds. Their upstairs is filled with TVs and they're slammed during most sporting events.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:05 PM   #193
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
I guess we are all at home drinking alone?

Alcohol consumption per capita
Yukon Territory [13.5 litres per capita]
Northwest Territory [11.5 litres per capita]
Newfoundland & Labrador [9 litres per capita]
Alberta [9 litres per capita]
Quebec [8.5 litres per capita]
Saskatchewan [8.5 litres per capita]
British Columbia [8.5 litres per capita]
Prince Edward Island [8 litres per capita]
Manitoba [8 litres per capita]
Ontario [8 litres per capita]
Nova Scotia [8 litres per capita]
New Brunswick [7.5 litres per capita]
Nunavut [2.5 litres per capita]
Link
I read the article and didnt notice, but is that per year? And is it referring to pure alcohol (aka 355mL beer @5% = 17.5mL of alcohol) or beer/wine/spirits. 9 litres of beer is about 25 ish cans.
PaperBagger'14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:14 PM   #194
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it's like the Wikipedia listing(and the numbers would make sense that it is), they refer to it as "pure alcohol" which I presume means they converted it to 100% abv.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ion_per_capita
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 12:22 PM   #195
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I read the article and didnt notice, but is that per year? And is it referring to pure alcohol (aka 355mL beer @5% = 17.5mL of alcohol) or beer/wine/spirits. 9 litres of beer is about 25 ish cans.
Yes, on the one link that I could find that isn't dead, it says it's "litres of absolute alcohol". 9 litres of alcohol per year would translate to 180 litres of 5% beer ... or a little less than 1 Imperial pint per day.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #196
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I think it comes from this, which says pure alcohol. Not only does it show that Western provinces drink more than Eastern provinces, but that Canada also drinks more than the US, and that those in the age group 35-49 rank just behind 18-34 in terms of alcohol consumption. The exact opposite of what blankall is suggesting. There are a lot of other surveys scattered across the internet that all seem to confirm the same thing.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #197
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I think it comes from this, which says pure alcohol. Not only does it show that Western provinces drink more than Eastern provinces, but that Canada also drinks more than the US, and that those in the age group 35-49 rank just behind 18-34 in terms of alcohol consumption. The exact opposite of what blankall is suggesting. There are a lot of other surveys scattered across the internet that all seem to confirm the same thing.
But does it also poll the amount the of shame they feel?
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 12:54 PM   #198
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
But does it also poll the amount the of shame they feel?
Correlation or causation?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #199
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
It's not just the drinking. It's the social drinking. Apparently if Canadians are drinking, they're doing it quietly at home.

https://nationalpost.com/life/how-we...s-boozy-habits

Edit: My guess is that you'd also find the above figures stratified by age, with more people aged 35+ drinking at home alone. Like I said before, I just don't get this. For me drinking has always been social. What's the point of taking a drug that alters your cognition if you aren't around other people to converse and interact with.

Last edited by blankall; 07-02-2020 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #200
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
It's not just the drinking. It's the social drinking. Apparently if Canadians are drinking, they're doing it quietly at home.

https://nationalpost.com/life/how-we...s-boozy-habits

Edit: My guess is that you'd also find the above figures stratified by age, with more people aged 35+ drinking at home alone. Like I said before, I just don't get this. For me drinking has always been social. What's the point of taking a drug that alters your cognition if you aren't around other people to converse and interact with.
Well your point earlier was drinking in general. But preferring to stay home is also true with Americans. Interestingly, this also suggests the trend of staying home is bolstered by younger generations and will only increase. The point being, of course, that it's cheaper and easier to drink at home than it is to go to the bar.

Aren't you being sort of judgemental about people who prefer to drink at home? Isn't being judgemental about drinking something you were complaining about?