Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2020, 08:20 PM   #301
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
So Reese jacked a pretty good one I heard?

lol I'm sorry. I'll show myself out.

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/1283175833419554816

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #302
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So Reese jacked a pretty good one I heard?

lol I'm sorry. I'll show myself out.
before The Show 20 came out, I was still playing '18 and they didn't say McGuire's name automatically, so I added the audio for his last name, but Reese wasn't an option for first names, so after the incident I made his first name audio "Tug"
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 10:52 PM   #303
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Julien Merryweather has an oblique strain.

Maybe we will see this guy throw a pitch for the Jays by the time he hits 40.

Sounds like some of the bullpen arms have been looking good so far. Rafael Dolis and Jordan Romano have looked pretty nasty according to reports, for example.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #304
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really like Santiago Espinal. I don't think he will an everyday player, but he does a lot of little things well that will make him a very good bench player. He has good speed, plays well defensively, can play multiple positions, looks alright at the plate.
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 PM   #305
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I missed the intrasquad game today but I guess team Grich threw a no hitter
Old 07-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #306
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1283560233365897216

Nice to hear this. I remember he looked like he had late inning shut down stuff last season too when he first came up, but then he had an injury of some sort and when he came back the velocity was way down. So glad he's healthy now and has the nasty slider to go with the high 90's heat.

If Dolis is as advertised, the Jays late inning shut down crew could be really strong with Giles/Dolis/Romano.

If Ryu/Shoemaker/Pearson can all stay healthy, that's a pretty strong start to a rotation too. Team might surprise a few peeps this season.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #307
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1283560233365897216

Nice to hear this. I remember he looked like he had late inning shut down stuff last season too when he first came up, but then he had an injury of some sort and when he came back the velocity was way down. So glad he's healthy now and has the nasty slider to go with the high 90's heat.

If Dolis is as advertised, the Jays late inning shut down crew could be really strong with Giles/Dolis/Romano.

If Ryu/Shoemaker/Pearson can all stay healthy, that's a pretty strong start to a rotation too. Team might surprise a few peeps this season.

I guess it's positives. Though the way I'd look at it is probabilities associated with each. Guys like Romano sometimes come out of the woodwork and do wonders. Odds are he won't. Dolis, who knows? Same goes for Shoemaker. A lot of ifs with the pitching. There is almost certainly going to have to be two major signings next off-season to get the pitching to be up to batting potential. Once that's done, I could see this team really competing in the 2021 season.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #308
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I guess it's positives. Though the way I'd look at it is probabilities associated with each. Guys like Romano sometimes come out of the woodwork and do wonders. Odds are he won't. Dolis, who knows? Same goes for Shoemaker. A lot of ifs with the pitching. There is almost certainly going to have to be two major signings next off-season to get the pitching to be up to batting potential. Once that's done, I could see this team really competing in the 2021 season.
Yes it's a lot of ifs for sure, but I wasn't talking long term, more for this short 60 game season.

Not sure I agree with your Romano point. He used to be a starter and always had decent control and SO numbers, then he got converted to a reliever and his stuff seems to be playing up which is not out of the ordinary. If he's got 96-99mph fastball, a wipe out slider and throws strikes, expecting him to be an effective late inning guy is not a stretch at all.

Dolis apparently is a guy that always had pretty good stuff but terrible control, and he's supposedly improved that aspect with a few years pitching pro over seas.

Guess we'll see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #309
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes it's a lot of ifs for sure, but I wasn't talking long term, more for this short 60 game season.

Not sure I agree with your Romano point. He used to be a starter and always had decent control and SO numbers, then he got converted to a reliever and his stuff seems to be playing up which is not out of the ordinary. If he's got 96-99mph fastball, a wipe out slider and throws strikes, expecting him to be an effective late inning guy is not a stretch at all.

Dolis apparently is a guy that always had pretty good stuff but terrible control, and he's supposedly improved that aspect with a few years pitching pro over seas.

Guess we'll see.

What I meant was when there's a lot of uncertainty, as fans we tend to hope all the stars align and things go well to head to the playoffs. Things almost have to work out perfectly for those stars to all align. I think to the Riccardi era where he was signing a bunch of guys who were coming off injuries and if all the stars aligned, he'd look brilliant. Frankly most fans were sold. Me, I'm skeptical of these type players. To illustrate, let's say each guy has a 70% chance of being a solid player that you need on your roster every day to win. Let's also say you need all 3 to be at that level to be a contender. On each players own, 70% chances sounds good. Compounded though, there's a 34% chance all three play at that level, which isn't very good odds. When you bring in durable vets who have a trackrecord, you may have two guys with an 85% chance, and one with a 70% chance, and compounded, there's a 51% chance all stars align, which is still better than the unproven type. You do have a point with Romano and Dolis individually, but I wouldn't bank on either being impactful. As a fan it's always nice to think positive though.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #310
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1283753211850043393

Romano
Old 07-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #311
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1283912713060720643

Pearson
Old 07-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #312
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1283915809308446721

Giles
Old 07-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #313
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So excited for Pearson, sounds like Kay has been fantastic too
Old 07-16-2020, 09:26 PM   #314
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How Zach Britton, the ‘baseball rat,’ became a Blue Jays draft pick

Quote:
Before he was a baseball rat, Britton was a scrawny teenager in Batesville, Ind. As a sophomore at Batesville High School, he ditched his other sport — basketball — and started bulking up.

Britton packed on nearly 40 pounds by his senior season, thanks to lifting, a disciplined sleep schedule and double-chicken Chipotle bowls.

As a player, his growth was more difficult to track.

“There was so much that I didn’t see, due to the fact that Zach, 24/7, is working on his game,” Batesville baseball coach Justin Tucker said.

During the season, Tucker saw Britton hit soft-toss with his father, Barry, after practices and games, as well as on weekends. But in the winter, when the weather didn’t allow for outdoor reps, Britton had to get creative.

Batesville, with a population of 6,700, didn’t have an indoor hitting facility. So on school nights, Britton drove 50 minutes to Cincinnati to take swings. Then he’d go home and lift for two hours. Then he’d stretch or throw.

“I was very obsessive, but I’m a perfectionist,” Britton said, fittingly, on a recent car ride home from the Cincinnati complex. “I was always big on trying to work harder than anybody and kind of push the limits of what I could do, working-wise.”
Old 07-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #315
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1284560957298159616
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #316
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's confirmed, no baseball for you Toronto.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #317
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just the first imo. There's nowhere safe to play right now. It'd be a surprise if this season happens, it shouldn't.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #318
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Off to Buffalo it is.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1284566469502734337
Old 07-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #319
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 07-18-2020, 02:46 PM   #320
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Just the first imo. There's nowhere safe to play right now. It'd be a surprise if this season happens, it shouldn't.

Yeah, MLB certainly screwed this season up by taking the decentralized approach. Who in their right mind said that would be good for both parties? Clearly the MLBPA and MLB leadership have their heads up their rear. Puzzling to say the least.
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post: