Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:
Default Coffee Makers

Good day all,

We need a new coffee maker, and not interested in the single cup ones. We have this one (still in the box) and I was wondering if anyone has any ones which they think would be better:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DCC-...ews/B006UKKLAI

Thank you as always!
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
Good day all,

We need a new coffee maker, and not interested in the single cup ones. We have this one (still in the box) and I was wondering if anyone has any ones which they think would be better:

Thank you as always!
We have that one at the office and it leaks like crazy when we pour a cup of. coffee. Absolutely hate it.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mccree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Anyone heard anything good or bad about this one?

http://www.thebay.com/eng/home-small...-thebay/238058

Do you think it would be more work to set up each morning as it is a french press?
Sort of looks like a automatic press
Old 06-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Whoa, apperntly these are the rolls royce of home coffee.... any comments?

Technivorm Moccamaster

http://orangeworkskitchenandhome.com...-coffee-maker/

No auto shut off switch which is a little weird though
Old 06-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Good day all,

We have this one (still in the box) and I was wondering if anyone has any ones which they think would be better:

My Wife bought ^ that one. Worked for 6 Mo. and then got funny, would turn off before brewing was finished.

This thing drove me crazy, the dam thing would just turn off and stop brewing when only a few ounces of water had passed through the machine. At the end, before I tossed it, it would take upwards of 30 min. to brew a pot of coffee because of the "re starts" every 30 freakin seconds.

I googled the make and model of the Cuisinart and found that many people experienced the same behavior. The cure was to throw it out!! ......I threw mine away and bought a $12 dollar machine from Superstore. That was14 months ago and I have been enjoying the richness of home brewed no name brand coffee ever since without any issues.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Methanolic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.bonavitaworld.com

Can be purchased from Fratello and Blackfoot Farmers markets (they sell some great roasted beans). It's about 170$ on sale and it's amazing. The design is incredible and you will see the beans are fully saturated.

On a scale of 1 to 10 this is a 10. My parents have the Cuisanart and the water has trouble getting up to the brew temp, it's more complicated but makes decent coffee. No comparison to the bonavita though!

Here is the CDN website I purchased from, but I would just get it at the Farmers Market

http://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee...navita-canada/

Last edited by calgarywinning; 07-01-2013 at 04:21 PM.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Zee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

French Press

Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Thank you for all the comments, it is down to the Bonavita and the Technivorm Moccamaster.

Funny enough, these two coffee makers are apparently considered quite equal according to one youtube comparison video I watched.

As for the french press, we actually bought a $20 Bonivta one this weekend, but I also would like a regular drip coffee machine.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:35 AM   #9
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just be mindful that you're deciding between two wicked coffee machines that are intended to get you the best out of good freshly roasted beans.

If you're going to brew anything pre-ground, or pre-roasted, (aka anything from a supermarket), you're better off buying an el cheapo machine, since the precise 200* brewing temp will be the least of your worries.

It would be analogous to buying a Ferrari and then filling it up with Kerosene and wondering why it still feels like you're driving a Lada.

That said, either of those with good recently roasted beans is going to be a great cup. I stick with a french press since I rarely need to brew more than 6 cups at a time and its not worth having an extra appliance taking up space.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Just be mindful that you're deciding between two wicked coffee machines that are intended to get you the best out of good freshly roasted beans.

If you're going to brew anything pre-ground, or pre-roasted, (aka anything from a supermarket), you're better off buying an el cheapo machine, since the precise 200* brewing temp will be the least of your worries.

It would be analogous to buying a Ferrari and then filling it up with Kerosene and wondering why it still feels like you're driving a Lada.

That said, either of those with good recently roasted beans is going to be a great cup. I stick with a french press since I rarely need to brew more than 6 cups at a time and its not worth having an extra appliance taking up space.
So dumb question, did you mean recently roasted or recently ground? Or both? I was under the impression the beans could have been roasted a while back, it was fresh grinding that mattered, is that incorrect?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So dumb question, did you mean recently roasted or recently ground? Or both? I was under the impression the beans could have been roasted a while back, it was fresh grinding that mattered, is that incorrect?
Ya, that's incorrect. Pre-ground is the absolute worst, and then pre-roasted (supermarket) is one step better, but still bad.

Coffee "snobs" will say the beans start to lose flavor after roasting and will generally want to brew them within a couple days (pretty hard for most people unless you have a home roaster, which some people buy).
That said, the consensus seems to be you want to enjoy the beans within 2-3weeks of roasting at most, at buy only what you'll use in that time period. (or freeze fresh and use as needed). Stuff in the supermarket (even unground), was probably roasted months ago.

Luckily there are tons of great local roasters in Calgary and Vancouver, and any good coffee shop sells them. You'll be able to get them within a couple days of roasting, even the stuff that comes from Vancouver.

Last edited by Ducay; 07-02-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #12
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

So freezing does work?
Old 07-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #13
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
So freezing does work?
My brother went to Stratford Chef School and said they brought in a coffee expert that told them freezing was a myth. Freezing coffee actually does more to damage the beans/grounds (something about separating the atoms).

Full disclosure, I didn't really listen to the explanation. When he said don't freeze them because they taught him that, that's all I really needed to know. I've learned once he starts to explain stuff he's so passionate about it, I stop listening as i don't understand. His explanations are so far over my head I just nod and think about boobs.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So freezing does work?
As noted, you'll find debates of pages and pages in online coffee forums about it, but consensus seems to be yes. There probably is some loss of flavor/oxidation, but I do it with my fresh beans for espresso with pretty good results, as do many coffee "purists" online.

Freeze beans if you can't use them within a couple weeks of roasting, and then thaw out what you'll use that day. If you're brewing a pot a day with either of those machines, you'll use a 1/2lbs or 1lbs bag up easily while its still good. If you're brewing one a week, then ya, freeze. Again, fresh, unfrozen is best, but not always feasible, but is always superior to supermarket stale coffee.

You'll need a burr grinder for the beans too. Its a slippery slope as you can spend anywhere from $40 up to $500, but using those bladed ones is like buying a Bugatti and then putting square wheels on it.

Brewing a "quality" cup of coffee boils down to 3 things (pun intended): Good beans, even grind, and 200 degree water brew. You can use extremely rustic lo-tech things to get them, or you can get $3000 gear to do it.
The coffee machine, even a badass Technivorm, only covers 1 of the 3.

Last edited by Ducay; 07-02-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've tried several methods over the years, from the old drip machines with the hot plate at the bottom, to percolators, french press, single drips and siphons. In the end, I bought a good dual boiler espresso machine and there is no going back. If that isn't in your budget, pick up the 2 cup hario drip setups and then get a instant hot water machine that can give you 195-205 degrees hot water. You can play around a bit to dial in the temperature but if that's not your thing, sticking with 200 is pretty decent.

As others have said though, do yourself a favor and get a good conical burr grinder and buy fresh whole bean coffee and you are off to a good start.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGrimm For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #16
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am sipping my pre-ground roasted frozen beans out of the Bonavita right now. Taste delicious. However, when I get fresh roasted and ground beans, tastes much better. I find the difference to be less acidity, brewed coffee lasting longer and smoothness with the fresh roasted just grounded good stuff.

I use an Elektra expresso machine at work, it makes beautiful coffee as well, but I like drip at home.

All the best
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Thank you all for all of the advice!

Don't lots of coffee vendors grind their beans in shop, and then you can freeze (assuming you believe in the freezing of beans)?

Might save a few $$ or put off a purchase of a grinder?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #18
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you all for all of the advice!

Don't lots of coffee vendors grind their beans in shop, and then you can freeze (assuming you believe in the freezing of beans)?

Might save a few $$ or put off a purchase of a grinder?
The problem is that you really should be using the coffee immediately after grinding it, even if they vacuum seal the coffee, it gets stale so much quicker. The one thing I really like about an espresso pull is that it can tell you a lot about how fresh your beans are. From the time it takes to pull a shot to the amount of crema (gas/coffee froth) you see in the shot will tell you that your coffee is fresh and your extraction time is perfected.

This is the grinder I use which I love, it grinds very evenly and is dead simple to use. It's a bit less precise to dial-in, but is doable and can produce a great result (and it's cheap by conical burr standards)

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Bistro-E...d_sim_sbs_hg_3
Old 07-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #19
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The funny thing is, you will get WAY better results from buying a good grinder and a cheap Hario dripper then you will from a $150-200 dollar coffee maker.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

why brew at home, when professional baristas are on every third street corner looking to provide you with $6 of pure coffee goodness daily?