Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #721
Firebot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I don't know why you're going on about masks, I didn't refer to them at all.

Yes, you're right, the hospitalizations are up, albeit a little. My question, if anyone can answer it, is why are they not increasing in proportion to the number of increases in daily cases?
Over 50% of new cases are people under 40, past outbreaks were linked to old folks home causing a disproportionate number of hospitalizations. Also note that 90 cases today is far different than 90 cases in March, where testing was only available to those who recently traveled. The situation now is still much better than it was even mid March, but we will lose all the work we did if we continue this path instead of making adjustments.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 05:01 PM   #722
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
This brings up an interesting question -- are scientists any further along in understanding why COVID can be completely asymptomatic in some people, and crippling (if not deadly) in others? I recall early on people talking about potentially two different strains, but I don't think anything ever came of it.
Some interesting info on this that I randomly saw just now - basically they don't know yet.

Quote:
What’s causing these long-term symptoms?
Scientists are still learning about the many ways the virus that causes Covid-19 impacts the body — both during initial infection and as symptoms persist.

One of the researchers studying them is Michael Peluso, a clinical fellow in infectious diseases at the University of California San Francisco, who is currently enrolling Covid-19 patients in San Francisco in a two-year study to study the disease’s long-term effects. The goal is to better understand what symptoms people are developing, how long they last, and eventually, the mechanisms that cause them. This could help scientists answer questions like how antibodies and immune cells called T-cells respond to the virus, and how different individuals might have different immune responses, leading to longer or shorter recovery times.
https://www.vox.com/2020/7/14/213242...ects-treatment
Old 07-14-2020, 05:36 PM   #723
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup. 90 cases with significantly more testing, and the cases moving to a younger and healthier demographic is not nearly as bad as 90 would've indicated in March.

Got to start being more accountable from person to person though if we want to avoid shutdown measures in these next weeks.

Just think before you go to your parties and group outings. We're no longer looking at a potential one off. Positive cases are notably climbing now.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #724
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Do you mean everybody in the entire world? Because that's the only way that would work. And completely impossible.

Maybe just close the borders until each country is given an all-clear.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #725
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:35 PM   #726
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
I don't know why you're going on about masks, I didn't refer to them at all.

Yes, you're right, the hospitalizations are up, albeit a little. My question, if anyone can answer it, is why are they not increasing in proportion to the number of increases in daily cases?
In addition to the demographic changes the following also affect it.

1-2 week lag of cases vs hospitalizations.

Also you would have to be looking at new hospitalizations rather than total hospitalizations to correlate with cases as total hospitalizations Includes both people leaving the hospital and people entering the hospital which adds an extra variable when comparing to cases.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:47 PM   #727
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

In news that will surprise no one, the Canada/US land border will remain closed for non-essential travel for another 30 days.

Any predictions on when the border opens again? My guess is Christmas...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #728
memphusk
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
In news that will surprise no one, the Canada/US land border will remain closed for non-essential travel for another 30 days.

Any predictions on when the border opens again? My guess is Christmas...
I would guess later due to travellers insurance.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:32 PM   #729
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, this hurts me a lot because I have family I can’t see for a prolonged time because of this. I had a trip to Montreal planned for the summer and my sister always visits us at Christmas. I’m just sad for so many reasons these days. I hope the travel restriction doesn’t last that long.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:56 PM   #730
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1283145909874896907
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 09:07 PM   #731
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sadly when you look at it, the USA, Russia, Brazil, India, Mexico, South Africa there is no stopping it anymore.

The same also goes with most of the third world nations. I fear this is going to run its course through a lot of nations before a vaccine ever becomes available.

Alberta is starting to lose containment, it's time to go to the mask mandate.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #732
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Israeli school openings didn't go so well:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/israel...lockdown-gains
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:31 PM   #733
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just so I'm clear.

It's "listen to the experts" when it's something I like and "the experts are idiots why don't they make masks mandatory" when they say something I don't like.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #734
Flamenspiel
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
I would guess later due to travellers insurance.
Yes, I don’t think any of the insurers will cover Covid-19 claims if you travel to the US.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:20 PM   #735
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Just so I'm clear.

It's "listen to the experts" when it's something I like and "the experts are idiots why don't they make masks mandatory" when they say something I don't like.
It’s the same with experts saying there’s a very low risk of outbreaks from opening schools. “They can’t possibly have enough evidence to make that call.”
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #736
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Yes, I don’t think any of the insurers will cover Covid-19 claims if you travel to the US.
Travel insurance with medical coverage for COVID-19 has been pretty tough to find, but there are 3 options I've seen that appear to be valid for Canadians...

https://ydeals.com/#covid19insurance

www.sevencorners.com - a U.S. insurance agency that will also insure Canadians and offers medical insurance plans that cover COVID. Their Liaison Travel Plus plan specifically mentions medical coverage for COVID worldwide.

www.trawickinternational.com - Trawick International's 'Safe Travels International Cost Saver' plan. Trawick claims that COVID-19 expenses are covered and treated as any other sickness. However they explicitly state that travel to the United States is not covered.

www.medipac.com - Medipac is the official insurance provider for the Canadian Snowbird Association and they've announced that their 'Early Bird Special' plan provides coverage for COVID-19 medical claims.

Further investigation of Seven Corners and Medipac would be prudent to be absolutely sure that U.S. travel would be covered. Trawick is out.

--

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 07-14-2020 at 11:50 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote