Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2020, 12:09 AM   #3021
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenAbootman View Post

I played Inglewood on Friday and the course is in fantastic shape and was an easy walk. Easily my best round of the year so far.
Never had a bad round at Inglewood. Gets pretty tight on the front when the wind blows. 16 is one of the best par 4s in the city.

It's a great track on a relatively flat piece of land.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #3022
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got out to Kananaskis and played Mount Lorette for only my second round this year. Course was in beautiful shape and it was fun. Triples on 1 and 15, but other than that an okay round, shot 88. I need to get out more, my last three rounds were yesterday, June 6th 2020, and August 27th 2019. lol
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:09 AM   #3023
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^^

What the hell, man? It used to feel like daily updates with your golf rounds, sometimes twice in the same day!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #3024
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Man was going to book a couple foursomes at Kananaskis sometime in August. The course is basically booked the entire month, wow. Guess I won’t be playing there this year.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #3025
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Man was going to book a couple foursomes at Kananaskis sometime in August. The course is basically booked the entire month, wow. Guess I won’t be playing there this year.
Look 4 days out from when you want to play. Everything gets fully booked in March but you have to cancel 4 days out to get your money back.

I've played there 3 times this year when I wanted to by just checking the site often.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #3026
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah..I was there last Saturday and Played Kidd.

I booked in March though.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:41 AM   #3027
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
I played there yesterday and the starters were talking about how accessible the tee sheet is this year because of no Americans playing the course. Almost like a sales pitch to book more times in the future. As was suggested try to book a little closer to the day you want, should probably work.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #3028
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We just booked a foursome, took one of the first available times we could find (that worked for us) - September 3.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 12:23 PM   #3029
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's never been easier to play Kananaskis if you're flexible. We played yesterday morning at 8:33 and when we finished, there was a 1:57 on Kidd available that we considered taking, but ended up coming home.

Check 2 days out, as their cancellation policy is 48 hours.
Old 07-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #3030
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
It's never been easier to play Kananaskis if you're flexible. We played yesterday morning at 8:33 and when we finished, there was a 1:57 on Kidd available that we considered taking, but ended up coming home.

Check 2 days out, as their cancellation policy is 48 hours.
Did it change? Last year was 4 days.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 03:42 PM   #3031
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Did it change? Last year was 4 days.
*shrug* must've!
Old 07-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #3032
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Anyone played in Whistler? Heading out next week to see the in-laws who live in Squamish. We are staying in Whistler for three nights at the Hilton. Going to play Whistler Golf Club, Big Sky in Pemberton and need to decide on the third, either Nickalus North or Fairmont.

Any thoughts?
How was your trip? Really sad about not being able to head home to Calgary this summer and was hoping to swing a trip to Whistler too.

I kind of hope you played the Chateau course. It is beautiful, heavily wooded and you can actually shoot a decent score, particularly on the back nine. Not like NN is slumming though.

Agree with the other poster who praised Big Sky, a nice course and an easy walk.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 04:04 AM   #3033
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

TL;DR - Should I buy a set of left clubs if I might only use them 2-3 times a year?

I think I have concluded I should be golfing left (leftie in hockey) but have been renting and borrowing right clubs for nearly 2 decades. I even took lessons several times as a rightie. Most rental leftie club sets are so trash, I golf worse using them than when I use decent right clubs.

But recently, I was goofing off with a set of nice longer leftie clubs at a driving range and it just felt natural for seemingly the first time ever. I realized all the leftie clubs I ever borrowed or rented were absolute trash, wrong size/shorter or something, mismatch or something etc. Within about half a dozen balls, I was getting nice hits off the tee and turf 60-70% of the time with very little pre-swing set up vs 50-70% of the time with rightie clubs with far more repositioning and practice swings.

My brother and sister in law are hoping to get my wife to go to the driving range with them in the future and potentially maybe we will try to golf together in the next few years.

Should I buy a set of decent leftie clubs in anticipation for that? Or should I pay the extra to rent decent leftie clubs? I'm assuming I'd use them 1-3 times a year on average for driving range and/or possibly a course.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:03 AM   #3034
MJK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dealing with golfers elbow; had a cortizone shot in the off-season that helped but now back golfing and fishing it's acting up again.

Switching from Callaway X-22 Tour irons to TaylorMade M6 Graphite shafts

Does anyone else struggle with golfers elbow and if so, find switching to graphite help?

Last edited by MJK; 07-15-2020 at 05:33 AM.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #3035
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post
Dealing with golfers elbow; had a cortizone shot in the off-season that helped but now back golfing and fishing it's acting up again.

Does anyone else struggle with golfers elbow and if so, find switching to graphite help?
I used have a problem in my left elbow. (right handed golfer) Hasn't bothered me in years since I stopped gripping the club like I was trying to squeeze the life out of it.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to prarieboy For This Useful Post:
MJK
Old 07-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #3036
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Agreed - I'd say it has something to do with your grip or the grips of the clubs. I had all sorts of issues with blisters, hand/wrist pain in the past few years, but then I got new grips and it all went away. I was just gripping the club too tight.
MJK
Old 07-15-2020, 10:20 AM   #3037
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone know where I should go in town to have my irons extended? They're graphite shafts, so a bit more of a complicated process than it would be with steel, I gather.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #3038
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Anyone know where I should go in town to have my irons extended? They're graphite shafts, so a bit more of a complicated process than it would be with steel, I gather.
Check out Modern Golf
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarlLester For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2020, 12:41 AM   #3039
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Do NOT go to GolfTown for anything other than grips.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:57 AM   #3040
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK View Post

There's a good chance that your grips are too small for your hands and you're gripping the clubs too tight. I had similar problem in tennis where my grip was too small and caused tennis elbow. Built up the grip this summer and the problem never returned.

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow