Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2020, 07:26 AM   #101
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Vegas and Winnipeg going with just 3.

I figured most would go with 3 to be honest. Five seems like overkill.
Goalies is the only position where you can have an unlimited number of them for camp. Might as well err on the side of caution.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:34 AM   #102
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just did a 14 day Q after returning to Canada, I had a test done on day 5 hoping to be able to be mobile as I was just home for a quick trip to take care of some personal business. No dice, they were hard over that I had to stay in Q for the full 14 because the test is ~20% false neg.

If even one player sneaks through the testing the potential spread is going to be bad. Add in all the ways this virus can get into the bubble and I just don't see how they will not have issues.

How are these guys getting fed, laundry, rooms cleaned etc..... so many ways for the virus to get into the bubble.

I guess all they can do is pull out anyone who tests + and just carry on, but there will be a breaking point.

Will be interesting to see how this goes, Hopefully all the precautions keep it at bay and we have a good tournament. I'd hate to see this become a dumpster fire.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 11:36 AM   #103
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I just did a 14 day Q after returning to Canada, I had a test done on day 5 hoping to be able to be mobile as I was just home for a quick trip to take care of some personal business. No dice, they were hard over that I had to stay in Q for the full 14 because the test is ~20% false neg.

If even one player sneaks through the testing the potential spread is going to be bad. Add in all the ways this virus can get into the bubble and I just don't see how they will not have issues.

How are these guys getting fed, laundry, rooms cleaned etc..... so many ways for the virus to get into the bubble.

I guess all they can do is pull out anyone who tests + and just carry on, but there will be a breaking point.

Will be interesting to see how this goes, Hopefully all the precautions keep it at bay and we have a good tournament. I'd hate to see this become a dumpster fire.
Especially considering that someone could test negative but still be spreading it. It gives people a false sense of security. A negative result should be viewed more as a "probably negative".
Old 07-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #104
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Especially considering that someone could test negative but still be spreading it. It gives people a false sense of security. A negative result should be viewed more as a "probably negative".
Isn't this why people have to test negative two days in a row?
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:18 PM   #105
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wonder if we can use the Premier League as a rough comparison of how it could look in the NHL. I haven't read too deeply into how the Premier league managed the players during the time gap, but they were testing before they started play again on Jun 9th. results are here:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1670563

Since the start of play, they managed to keep the weekly results from 0 to 2 positive results.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #106
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not to be a arm chair lab technician - but can't they collect 2-3 samples and use different testing methods for all samples?
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:11 PM   #107
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Domi should not play. With the news reports out of New York about how many Covid patients ended up on Dialysis and/or with loss of kidney function I don’t think he should chance getting sick.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #108
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I think Domi should not play. With the news reports out of New York about how many Covid patients ended up on Dialysis and/or with loss of kidney function I don’t think he should chance getting sick.
Same case with Kakko as well, who I believe is also a Type 1 Diabetic. The teams have to take the responsible step, if players arent
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #109
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s one thing to be concerned about a players health, but I’d suggest we stay clear of the “I think this player should do this or that with his health” line of conversation - ultimately it’s their choice, and any sort of “I think they” style of conversation strikes me as odd when it probably should be “If I were in their position, I’d...” (which I’m sure is more closely to how you feel about it).
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #110
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
While I agree since he is type 1 he should probably not play... why are kidney issues a problem specifically?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:13 PM   #111
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
While I agree since he is type 1 he should probably not play... why are kidney issues a problem specifically?
It can attack all your organs, during and after.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #112
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kidney issues are going to be reported at a higher rate because people with diabetes are more prone to having adverse effects with the virus, correlating with kidney function.
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigBrodieFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2020, 05:21 PM   #113
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
Kidney issues are going to be reported at a higher rate because people with diabetes are more prone to having adverse effects with the virus, correlating with kidney function.
But why specifically kidney function and type 1 - what’s the connection? Or is it just that the virus attacks the kidneys and people with type 1 have worse outcomes?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #114
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
But why specifically kidney function and type 1 - what’s the connection? Or is it just that the virus attacks the kidneys and people with type 1 have worse outcomes?
We still don’t know. Now theory is it effects all vital organs. We still don’t have enough data to completely know the effects of the virus.

At first it was believed to only be an issue to he lungs. Now it’s showing signs of shutting down all vita organs and clotting issues.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 07:14 PM   #115
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Players Opting Out of/Missing Return To Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post

It’s do to the lack of zinc. Zinc levels in serum are decreased in Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes because of zinc loss due to excessive urination. It has been shown that supplementation of zinc to Type 2 diabetes patients improve the symptoms of diabetes because it decreases the level of cholesterol and HbA1c levels in blood. Might be a potential problem for diabetics over the age of 75. Seems to be the average age of people dying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #116
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Domi is back skating with the team, so probably will play in the play-ins.

https://www.tsn.ca/max-domi-on-ice-f...tice-1.1497501
Old 07-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #117
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

What in the hell is Boston going to do?

Quote:
Nine of his regulars were declared unfit to play: David Pastrnak, Ondrej Kase, David Krejci, Nick Ritchie, Charlie Coyle, Sean Kuraly, Chris Wagner, Torey Krug and Tuukka Rask.

Put another way, Cassidy was missing three of his four right wings, No. 2 center, entire third line, power-play quarterback and Vezina Trophy-nominated ace. It is unknown when any of the players will return to practice.

“We had no injuries to speak of,” Cassidy said. “Again, unfit to play. The league has asked us to continue along that line for the respect of the privacy of the players.”

This from The Athletic which is a subscription service, of course, but if you are a subscriber:

https://theathletic.com/1936871/2020...0Tuukka%20Rask.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:18 PM   #118
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if Dreger is again going to speculate about fitness/conditioning issues crap.

Tough for Boston though, and we are only 12 days out from the start of the play-ins/round robins. Luckily for Boston, the round-robins are not as critical for teams as the play-ins.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #119
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

What do they do? Play the aces as needed until their stars are ready to go again and re-integrate them.

They've planned for this. Its not ideal obviously but thats what they'll have to do.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:26 PM   #120
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do I remember someone reporting a month or so back, that Cassidy wasn’t interested in playing his top players in the round-robin.