Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #1
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default Do the Flames even qualify Jankowski this off season?

I see his name in trade proposals which got me thinking..

If they dont deal him, do they even bother qualifying him? He has arb rights (which should mean little as far as going that route) and takes up over 1.5M in space. Would the team be better off just allowing him to go to UFA and taking what will be very important space with a likely lower cap overall.

This last season was a...well...not sure what that was. It was something this team simply cannot carry moving forward though. He was god awful. Detrimental at times. He will be 26 before whenever next season starts and regressed like something rarely seen in guys his age.

So let him walk or bring him back and hope he re-discovers what ever was missing?
Old 06-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #2
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

He has a mini camp and minimum 3 games to prove himself. Seems like a great team guy too so you know it'll be a tough decision.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:35 PM   #3
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt he wants to come back. He’s probably hoping to see if there is a better fit with another organization

Also no I don’t think flames will qualify him. Don’t think any organization is going to give him $1.5 million next year. Probably looking at $900,000 show me contract

Last edited by kyuss275; 06-28-2020 at 12:37 PM.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we qualify him. Everyone had a down year this past season. I think he has value even if you qualify and trade later on.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think we qualify him. Everyone had a down year this past season. I think he has value even if you qualify and trade later on.
At 1.7M per, im not sure there is a market anywhere for him when its very likely the cap shrinks.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could be a situation where they negotiate outside of the qualifying offer, or they qualify him and he signs the 1-year deal.

No way the Flames let him walk for nothing. One down year, which as mentioned by dissentowner was shared across the roster, doesn't make you abandon a player.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

He had a really bad third season but he did have 32pts and was a key penalty killer in 2019. I think there is bounce back potential there but also not sure there is a fit on the team. I think he holds some value around the league
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Not a chance. Too much for what he brings.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 01:09 PM   #9
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I doubt they qualify him, but I won't be surprised to see something like a 1 year $1M contact

If he leaves I think a team like Detroit might try him as a 3rd line centre and hope his potential can be realized
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:12 PM   #10
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Janko is a prime candidate for another "don't qualify but keep negotiations open" situation.

Paul Byron wasn't qualified at his $643.5k salary after 2013-2014 but was then signed for $600k anyways.

Alex Chiasson wasn't qualified at his $800k salary, but the Flames kept negotiations open before he signed with Washington for $660k.

Joe Colborne and Josh Jooris weren't qualified because they were arbitration eligible, but the Flames kept negotiating instead of getting locked into a raise they weren't comfortable with.

Don't qualify Jankowski but see if he wants to return closer to the $1M area. A lower salary the team can comfortably work with could actually be the difference between him making an NHL team and not.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #11
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we do sign Hall we may need every extra dollar and cent for cap space. I think we can find a replacement 4th Line Center in the PTO bin dame was as Rieder and Rinaldo.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
If we do sign Hall we may need every extra dollar and cent for cap space. I think we can find a replacement 4th Line Center in the PTO bin dame was as Rieder and Rinaldo.
Yep, people talk about not wanting to overpay a big UFA... but that's what it takes to get them usually.

I'd rather "overpay" an elite top line player than overpay 3-4 players off the bottom of the roster.

Better to fill in the roster with hungrier players on their ELCs or PTO invites like Rinaldo and Rieder.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 01:26 PM   #13
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Janko is a prime candidate for another "don't qualify but keep negotiations open" situation.

Paul Byron wasn't qualified at his $643.5k salary after 2013-2014 but was then signed for $600k anyways.

Alex Chiasson wasn't qualified at his $800k salary, but the Flames kept negotiations open before he signed with Washington for $660k.

Joe Colborne and Josh Jooris weren't qualified because they were arbitration eligible, but the Flames kept negotiating instead of getting locked into a raise they weren't comfortable with.

Don't qualify Jankowski but see if he wants to return closer to the $1M area. A lower salary the team can comfortably work with could actually be the difference between him making an NHL team and not.
This.

Janko likely knows unless he has a great playoff run, he's lucky to get league minimum. Prime opportunity for penny pinching.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #14
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

This is what I see happening as well.

If the Flames want to play Lindholm at C the top 4 C's right now are:

Monahan
Lindholm
Backlund
Ryan

Flames can't afford to have the 4th/5th best C on their roster carry a $1.75m cap hit, especially when he doesn't ever really slot in on a higher line on the wing.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #15
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Agree with most that you don't qualify him. It will be interesting to see what the PTO crop looks like this year. I could see a large pool of players being offered PTO's to fight for 1 year 650k contracts when the next season starts. I think a lot of players who typically get between 1.3 to 2.5 per season will really get squeezed.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #16
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Agree with most that you don't qualify him. It will be interesting to see what the PTO crop looks like this year. I could see a large pool of players being offered PTO's to fight for 1 year 650k contracts when the next season starts. I think a lot of players who typically get between 1.3 to 2.5 per season will really get squeezed.
I'm also interested to see how it effects the top tier guys as well.

Last off season Pietrangelo would have got $12 million AAV easily, not many competitive teams will be able to swing that with a flat cap and no compliance buy outs or anything. Especially with rumors of a flat cap for the next three years potentially.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #17
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski floats way too much. If he just kept moving his legs he'd be a much more effective hockey player.

I'd be fine with the team parting ways.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 04:05 PM   #18
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think the only reason you qualify him is if another team expresses interest in trading for his RFA rights, a la Shinkaruk.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:10 AM   #19
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jankowski's qualifying offer would be $1.75 million. That's a LOT of coin to tie up with a fourth line center when the cap isn't going up at all next season.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 AM   #20
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

...and when you have Glenn Gawdin stewing in the minors, and both Elias Lindholm and Sam Bennett able to shift over to centre.

I think it's more likely we see Jakob Pelletier in Calgary than Mark Jankowski next year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote