Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #41
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is still a pandemic, there's no vaccine yet, and sports is not an essential service. Don't play roulette with people's lives. Cancel this season and get ready for the next season whenever a vaccine becomes available.

Just shut it down. No Hockey, Baseball, Basketball or Football until vaccine comes.

Goofs.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:27 PM   #42
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
There is still a pandemic, there's no vaccine yet, and sports is not an essential service. Don't play roulette with people's lives. Cancel this season and get ready for the next season whenever a vaccine becomes available.

Just shut it down. No Hockey, Baseball, Basketball or Football until vaccine comes.

Goofs.
Boo

Go make out with your Matthews poster or something.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:30 PM   #43
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Boo

Go make out with your Matthews poster or something.

And as for the part I bolded, no thanks. You can do that if you want instead.

Last edited by Karl; 06-29-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:38 PM   #44
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Goofs.
You're assuming a vaccine is coming, which is far from a guarantee - and if it does come it is at best still 2 years away from being available (but likely longer...). The world isn’t going to shutdown for that length of time. It’s about finding ways to continue on while developing strategies to keep people as safe as possible.

Things can’t stay shutdown for 2 years...it’s been almost 4 months already and the destruction of shutting down (necessary) is immeasurable at this stage.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-29-2020 at 01:42 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #45
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The likelihood of a vaccine ever coming seems unlikely - and it’s at best still 2 years away from being available (but likely longer...). The world isn’t going to shutdown for that length of time. It’s about finding ways to continue on while developing strategies to keep people as safe as possible.

Things can’t stay shutdown for 2 years...it’s been almost 4 months already and the destruction of shutting down (necessary) is immeasurable at this stage.
What's the 2 years based on?
China just skipped phase 3 for the same drug that is being tested in Canada, and has approved for us in military (which seems nuts but...)
Others have suggested early 2021.

I realize none of this is certain, but I don't think its accurate to say 'at best 2 years away' when some sources peg it now being available in early 2021.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #46
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The likelihood of a vaccine ever coming seems unlikely - and it’s at best still 2 years away from being available (but likely longer...). The world isn’t going to shutdown for that length of time. It’s about finding ways to continue on while developing strategies to keep people as safe as possible.

I'm not sure I agree that a vaccine isn't coming but professional sports is in a bit of a pickle as they aren't essential and as long as we can't contain the virus it's going to be difficult for them to conduct business. I'm very skeptical that hockey and football will work in this climate but I have no problem with the leagues giving it a shot if the players agree to it.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #47
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I agree but professional sports is in a bit of a pickle as they aren't essential and given we can't contain the virus it's going to be difficult for them to conduct business. I'm very skeptical that hockey and football will work in this climate but I have no problem with the leagues giving it a shot if the players agree to it.
Or Basketball or baseball as well.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #48
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
What's the 2 years based on?
China just skipped phase 3 for the same drug that is being tested in Canada, and has approved for us in military (which seems nuts but...)
Others have suggested early 2021.

I realize none of this is certain, but I don't think its accurate to say 'at best 2 years away' when some sources peg it now being available in early 2021.
Here's a pretty interesting article from the NY Times.

The idea of the "pandemic speed" is also horrifying. Rushing a vaccine out without fulling understanding the side-effects/long-term impact? It's just bad science. Sounds like a nightmare.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-29-2020 at 01:52 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 01:46 PM   #49
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Or Basketball or baseball as well.
Yeah Basketball also is in tough. Baseball may be able to pull it off seeing there's no contact but then again it's only a matter of it going through a locker room rendering an entire team unable to compete.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:50 PM   #50
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah Basketball also is in tough. Baseball may be able to pull it off seeing there's no contact but then again it's only a matter of it going through a locker room rendering an entire team unable to compete.
What? There is contact in baseball. You still have to tag the runner out on a stolen base attempt or tag a player out who's trying to move up a base during a sac-fly attempt or wild pitch.

Last edited by Karl; 06-29-2020 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 01:52 PM   #51
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Here's a pretty interesting article from the NY Times.

The idea of the "pandemic timeline" is also horrifying. Rushing a vaccine out without fulling understanding it? Sounds like a nightmare.
Bringing team sports back before having any real control of the virus and having no vaccine sounds like an even bigger nightmare.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #52
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Goofs.
Their lives will be safer in a hub than in the club.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #53
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Exactly. Safer where the league is spending millions to have them tested and contained in a low infection location. Bonus is they can keep fit and practice what they do for a living.

Failing to see what some players are up in arms about.

Closeness to family is a good argument against the idea, but safety is where the players lose me.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:54 PM   #54
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we assume LA and Vegas drop out because of infection numbers then which locations are still feasible candidates?

I do think edmonton works as one of them.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #55
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If we assume LA and Vegas drop out because of infection numbers then which locations are still feasible candidates?

I do think edmonton works as one of them.
Edmonton and Toronto. And that really makes the most sense for many reasons. But this is the NHL and LA and Vegas will likely be named.

And the players worried about their safety..... The controlled environment the NHL will provide will much safer then have they’re currently living. Again, long term concussion ramifications, equipment designed to be weapons and eye injuries are just as much of not more of a safety concern then Covid.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-29-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 04:42 PM   #56
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

LA county declared a dire warning today - i can't see any way they are still in the running

1. LA County coronavirus cases surge past 100,000 with record-high one-day tally
2. L.A. County is now projecting the possibility of running out of hospital beds in two to three weeks.
3. 1 in 140 Angelenos have COVID-19

Last edited by socalwingfan; 06-29-2020 at 06:38 PM.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:34 PM   #57
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Edm-Tor are really easy picks and going between hubs would be no issue.

If they were using common sense they'd name them hubs already but they're going to hold out for murcan cities because muurca.

At least one of the picks will be an eyebrow raiser that poses an actual safety risk but they'll risk it anyways.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #58
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

When the hell are they going to name the cities? I thought it was supposed to be last week .
Old 06-29-2020, 07:07 PM   #59
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
When the hell are they going to name the cities? I thought it was supposed to be last week .
It seems there are only two viable candidates left and I don’t know if the NHL wants both hubs in Canada.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #60
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It could be that they're recognizing how quickly things are changing wrt cases. Las Vegas was looking good a few weeks ago; not so much now. What if they come out and say Edmonton and Toronto and shortly after the cases explode in either of those cities? They might just be holding off making the decision for as long as they can in this volatile climate.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post: