Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2020, 06:36 PM   #161
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
This is going to be weird following sports like this. I mean, how many games will players miss because of "covid-like symptoms" or because they actually have covid? Just imagine game 7 of a series and 3 or 4 of your best players have to sit it out because they caught covid....
I’ve got serious doubts that they will get to the playing of games.

Hope I’m wrong.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 07:29 PM   #162
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I’ve got serious doubts that they will get to the playing of games.

Hope I’m wrong.
I feel way better about the NHL than the NBA. Edmonton zone has 240 active cases where Florida had 10,000 new cases in a day. Hearing more about big name basketball players skipping the Disney tournament for various reasons.

NHL was smart to put both hubs in Canada and I think their plan will work and we will be watching games. Basketball seems less likely
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #163
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I feel way better about the NHL than the NBA. Edmonton zone has 240 active cases where Florida had 10,000 new cases in a day. Hearing more about big name basketball players skipping the Disney tournament for various reasons.

NHL was smart to put both hubs in Canada and I think their plan will work and we will be watching games. Basketball seems less likely
My point being , the teams will be training in their home cities. I’m skeptical that some players ( teams) are going to get through that portion of the process.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:00 PM   #164
kurwamac
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Report: Blues cancel practices due to 'multiple' positive COVID-19 tests
kurwamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #165
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwamac View Post
Red hot fata
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #166
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yea, this isn't good. I'm guessing we'll see a few more reports like this from other teams over the next several days as more players get tested, particularly players who live in the U.S.

I'm also betting that this entire endeavor gets delayed again as a result.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-st-louis-b...ests-1.1492047
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #167
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
I'm interested to see if any NHL players decide to opt out of the return as is now permitted and has happened in other sports.
Max Domi should opt out. He is a type 1 diabetic and that has shown to be a huge risk to COVID-19 severity. There are probably others as well that aren't public about personal health issues.

IBD, Crohn's and Colitis are also fairly common diseases that increase the COVID-19 risk and I would be surprised if there aren't a few NHL players with one of those.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:26 PM   #168
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Yea, this isn't good. I'm guessing we'll see a few more reports like this from other teams over the next several days as more players get tested, particularly players who live in the U.S.

Especially now that the players have found out they are going to Edmonton
Old 07-03-2020, 09:30 PM   #169
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently Rutherford mentions that practices will re-open on Monday. I wonder how many positive tests are there. Was Tkachuk skating in St. Louis prior to coming to Calgary? Has he returned to Calgary?
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:03 PM   #170
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
especially now that the players have found out they are going to edmonton
https://twitter.com/user/status/1279198119113093120

Last edited by troutman; 07-03-2020 at 10:05 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #171
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Max Domi should opt out. He is a type 1 diabetic and that has shown to be a huge risk to COVID-19 severity. There are probably others as well that aren't public about personal health issues.

IBD, Crohn's and Colitis are also fairly common diseases that increase the COVID-19 risk and I would be surprised if there aren't a few NHL players with one of those.
He may end up being in a safer spot in a bubble playing than where ever he is.
Not saying for sure but if the bubble is done right especially in a Canadian city it may be one of the safest places to be.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:16 PM   #172
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
He may end up being in a safer spot in a bubble playing than where ever he is.
Not saying for sure but if the bubble is done right especially in a Canadian city it may be one of the safest places to be.
Not safer than proper self isolation which is what he could be doing
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #173
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

Lol, that line about the Coyotes having an advantage because they're used to playing in front of nobody... that's comedy gold right there.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:16 AM   #174
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

A big one in the NBA today as former second-overall pick, Victor Oladipo, decided to opt out of the remainder of the season for injury mitigation. Oladipo was an all-star in both 2018 and 2019 but missed the majority of this season with a brutal lower body injury having made his season debut at the end of January, starting 10 games since.

The Pacers have clinched a playoffs birth.

“I really want to play, and as a competitor and teammate this is tearing me apart. I feel like I’m at a great place in my rehab and getting closer and closer to 100 percent. With all the variables, from how I have to build my 5-on-5 workload back up, to the increased risk of a soft tissue injury which could delay my rehab, and the unknown exact set up of the bubble, I just can’t get my mind to being fully comfortable in playing. I have to be smart and this decision hasn’t been easy, but I truly believe continuing on the course I’m on and getting fully healthy for the 2020-21 season is the right decision for me.”

Imagine the #pleaselikemysport crew's reaction to a bonafide NHL all-star whose team has already clinched a playoffs spot opting out of the playoffs.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 07-04-2020 at 01:22 AM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 01:23 AM   #175
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

Basically of they want a chance at this working they need to hold camps at the hubs.

Needed to be the plan from the outset.

If they wait 3+ weeks to fly teams out there then you'll have a far too many unavailable/sick/quarantining players.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #176
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Basically of they want a chance at this working they need to hold camps at the hubs.
I don't think they needed to go that far. But they did need to implement far more stringent isolation policies for training camps. There is no reason that these guys can come to come to camp healthy and not leave healthy.

Although if the system is going to crack best to put the stress up front before it gets going. If they get thru camps and to the hub cities it likely has a really good chance of finishing. If too many problems arise in the next three weeks you can call it off before it starts which although not ideal, is better than doing so after it gets going.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #177
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) the NHL players are being tested multiple times
2) There is no indication of how many have covid symptoms or were surprised that they had it
3) The Blues said it was no big deal and are planning on practicing on Monday.
4) Far better to have Covid now and get immunity. If you don't get immunity from getting covid then we are in the end of the world scenario as it would likely mean that a vaccine will not provide immunity.

There was a news clip over the last week that said that 26 out of the 250 NHL players tested have covid.

To me that means that in the general population there would be at least 10% of people having covid at this point in time, not being tested and not knowing they have it.

That would mean that over the last 3 months a significant number of us have had the covid, went shopping to Costco or Superstore and spread it and are blissfully unaware.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #178
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
A big one in the NBA today as former second-overall pick, Victor Oladipo, decided to opt out of the remainder of the season for injury mitigation. Oladipo was an all-star in both 2018 and 2019 but missed the majority of this season with a brutal lower body injury having made his season debut at the end of January, starting 10 games since.

The Pacers have clinched a playoffs birth.

“I really want to play, and as a competitor and teammate this is tearing me apart. I feel like I’m at a great place in my rehab and getting closer and closer to 100 percent. With all the variables, from how I have to build my 5-on-5 workload back up, to the increased risk of a soft tissue injury which could delay my rehab, and the unknown exact set up of the bubble, I just can’t get my mind to being fully comfortable in playing. I have to be smart and this decision hasn’t been easy, but I truly believe continuing on the course I’m on and getting fully healthy for the 2020-21 season is the right decision for me.”

Imagine the #pleaselikemysport crew's reaction to a bonafide NHL all-star whose team has already clinched a playoffs spot opting out of the playoffs.
Valimaki?

Anyone coming of a serious injury deserves to be fully recovered.
Old 07-04-2020, 10:20 AM   #179
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Needed to be the plan from the outset.

If they wait 3+ weeks to fly teams out there then you'll have a far too many unavailable/sick/quarantining players.
Information is being limited.

I find it hard to believe that for a group of individuals making at the very least 1M USD / year that there is not universal antibody testing.

How many players have had Covid and have the antibodies?

Why would this information not be made public?