Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2023, 02:47 PM   #601
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not garage, but I use some of these inside my house to hold brooms etc. I like it better than the spring loaded ones.

https://www.amazon.ca/Command-17007-...s%2C143&sr=1-4

The straps recommended aren't bad. I just migrated to velcro cable straps because you can neatly leave it on the cable after undoing it so you won't lose the strap.

https://www.amazon.ca/Reusable-Trila...s%2C169&sr=8-5

I also saw a guy who used a system where he would staple these hook and loop cinch straps on the wall to hold things. It was kinda cool that it could hold a variety of things, but they look like ass IMO when they get too dusty, so you have to dust them off regularly with compressed air or whatever.

https://www.amazon.ca/EFFIET-Extensi...s%2C129&sr=8-6

Lumber garage shelves have always seemed odd to me. Those seemingly haven't been a hands down viable cheap option in many cases for a while now. It seems like it's kinda pricey (especially with covid spiking lumber prices) and a lot of extra work. Wire shelves on the other hand aren't too expensive and quite a bit less work than sawing and doing brackets/wall mounting etc. Plus they look nicer than raw lumber.

My buddy suggested I consider under the deck storage since I have duradeck. I might look into that as an option as well vs another shed.

If you do end up with a mezzanine, you should do a corner lift where you can use a pulley system to pull up heavy items. The platform stays up top when you don't need to use it. Comes to the floor when you do. (Can still park a car under it).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 05:16 PM   #602
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Bumping this thread for two reasons:

1. Never pass up a chance to take a shot at Fuzz's build.

2. Any cool garage organizational hacks?

I used to keep my #### so neat and tidy - but with growing kids, I am drowning in "stuff". What do you do with seasonal kids crap? Tools? Seriously considering a shed just for kids crap.

just get rid of the kids... it will be waaaay cheaper in the long run!
Old 05-10-2023, 09:31 PM   #603
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Great stuff fellas, keep it coming.

The metal coscto storage unit is much more attractive than 2x4s and plywood, but pricey.

I was actually thinking about building a bit of a mezzanine type of deal above where the car gets parked. I would classify myself as above average DIYer.
I went for a hybrid approach - built the frames from 2x4s but used Husky shelf inserts from Home Depot instead of plywood. I didn't want the shadows that plywood would create. Especially for the 4'x8' shelf above the garage door.

Last edited by kevman; 05-10-2023 at 09:36 PM.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2023, 07:35 AM   #604
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dude that looks amazing.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2023, 01:50 PM   #605
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude that looks amazing.
Seconded. I've never really been huge on garage pics, but those ones... damn. I want in. New projects added to the list!

And also, wtf kind of garage door opener is that? I've never seen that style before. That's cool and awesome AF.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:53 PM   #606
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice rack!
Old 05-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #607
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is definitely sweet. I had plans to install some tire racks up near the ceiling so that they are out of the way but I realized that putting them up and down on a ladder would not be an option. I didn't want to invest in some of winch system so I had to go with racks at should height which at least still provides some extra floor space.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 01:57 PM   #608
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never really had elevated shelves or hung stuff from the garage ceiling. I am the only one that feels a little nervous about it?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:03 PM   #609
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I've never really had elevated shelves or hung stuff from the garage ceiling. I am the only one that feels a little nervous about it?
I love the ceiling shelving platforms. I have four 4*8 platforms and it is great for seasonal stuff. Obviously you have to be able to get up and down an A-frame ladder with your stuff but overall it is pretty easy.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 02:03 PM   #610
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends what it is. If it's a tote of seasonal outdoor toys, skates, snow shoes, christmas lights, bikes etc. I wouldn't worry much.

But stuff over 100 pounds like tires on wheels... Damn. I get where you're coming from. Anything you'd die instead of getting a concussion if it hit you in the head, I'd avoid myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Nice rack!
I like how kevman was nice enough to offer both a covered and uncovered pic.
Old 05-12-2023, 10:57 PM   #611
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Especially when it's a ton of weight hanging off of trusses that were engineered to hold the walls and roof up, not to dangle heavy weights off of the bottom chords.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:30 AM   #612
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
And also, wtf kind of garage door opener is that? I've never seen that style before. That's cool and awesome AF.
Wall mount - gets rid of the middle track for more storage etc.

https://www.liftmaster.com/ca/garage...s#tab=products
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:

Tags
diy , garage , oh ####