Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #1021
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Aside from opening night, I think the start to this season has been a success and I'm happy overall. Imagine a dream world where we could just change the outcome of game #1 to a Flames win... our record would be 13-7-0, and we'd be 1st in the division. The general consensus would be "Gulutzan for Jack Adams!".

My biggest beefs are... why does that 4th line get TOI when we're trailing/protecting by 1? I struggle to comprehend that one. Also, why does our PK suck so bad, despite the Smith over Elliott upgrade?
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:41 PM   #1022
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Uh, ties?
How many points were handed out in tie games?

How many points are handed out in shootout games now?

Care to rethink that argument?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:43 PM   #1023
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
So...

If the Flames win a game, it's in spite of GG.

If the Flames lose a game, it's because GG is awful at his job and should be fired.

If the Flames make the Playoffs, it's because our players ignored every thing GG tried coaching into them.

If the Flames lose in the Playoffs, it's because GG is awful at his job and should be fired.

If the Flames win the Cup, it's because our roster is full of legends who didn't need a coach to listen to.

If the Flames lose in the Finals, it's because GG is awful at his job and should be fired.

Am I doing this right?
I tend to think GG wont help this team take the next step, but then again they had a great game last night, and if they keep that up I will gladly eat my words.

However, remember that we won in Philly in OT, but had to first kill off a PP taken by Stajan who was inexplicably played with two minutes left in a tied game. That to me was a clear coaching mistake, and it could have easily lost the game. We harshly judge players for making bad decisions in a split second, but give GG a pass for some reason.

Today we haer that GG's favorite in Bartowski is now getting a game in for no discernible reason after last nights lineup played its most complete game of the season. Kulak stayed out later at practice, so he's likely not hurt.

Nothing would make me happier than GG being the next Scotty Bowman, but until he does better than a first round sweep I am going to be critical of dumb decisions.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Red
Old 11-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #1024
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
How many points were handed out in tie games?

How many points are handed out in shootout games now?

Care to rethink that argument?
That's a good point, instead we can just look at straight Win%. GG is behind only Crisp for that.

Even ignoring Coaches that didn't have the shootout to guarantee a winner per game, that still puts him ahead of Playfair and Keenan who had arguably better teams to work with.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:55 PM   #1025
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Fact is, there are cap consideration and roster limits which impact all asset decisions.

Cutting him out right at the start of the season doesn't make sense if it means taking on a cap hit of 2.2 million while he plays in Stockton. Maybe sometime in the back half of the season when you have a better idea where you stand with the cap would make more sense. Right now it doesn't.
- Sending Stajan down and bringing up Hathaway, Hrivik or Mangiapane would save cap space, not waste it.

- This is not the season start anymore, we're at the quarter pole and we want all the points we can get from the other 3 quarters, because every point matters. We came very close to losing in Philly because Stajan couldn't keep up and took a bad penalty, and it wasn't just the one time.

At the start of the season I really wanted to see Stajan hit 1,000 games, but honestly I don't anymore, at least not in a Flames jersey.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #1026
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
It is interesting. GG is 4th all time in points % for coaches who have coached over 100 games.

Not bad.
As other said, context, plus that's out of Flames coaches. Ex-Flames coaches are generally not a sought after commodity in the NHL
Old 11-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #1027
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
That's a good point, instead we can just look at straight Win%. GG is behind only Crisp for that.

Even ignoring Coaches that didn't have the shootout to guarantee a winner per game, that still puts him ahead of Playfair and Keenan who had arguably better teams to work with.
Win% dies for the same reason. In fact, the issue is more extreme.

And I think both Playfair and Keenan were terrible coaches, so at best, you're damning Gulutzan with faint praise.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 05:59 PM   #1028
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And I think both Playfair and Keenan were terrible coaches, so at best, you're damning Gulutzan with faint praise.
I think calling Keenan terrible is very unfair. I'm not saying he was great, but he did get results.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #1029
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Keenan did get results. More of a creative offense and less focus on defense. I think people often forget how beat up the flames were durng the 2009 playoffs before he got relieved of his duties. I think he got the shaft.

From https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008..._Flames_season

Quote:
The Flames revealed the true extent of their injury situation following the loss, noting that Dion Phaneuf, who missed game six, was playing with broken ribs, while Cory Sarich was playing on a fractured ankle. With Rhett Warrener, Mark Giordano and Robyn Regehr all sidelined for the entire series, the Flames had five defencemen either out or playing hurt the entire series. In addition, Craig Conroy, Rene Bourque and Daymond Langkow were all playing despite various ailments.[35] In spite of the Flames' injury situation, the team's fourth consecutive first round defeat led to new demands that head coach Mike Keenan be replaced as the team's head coach.[36] Keenan was fired on May 22.[37]
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:06 PM   #1030
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
I tend to think GG wont help this team take the next step, but then again they had a great game last night, and if they keep that up I will gladly eat my words.

However, remember that we won in Philly in OT, but had to first kill off a PP taken by Stajan who was inexplicably played with two minutes left in a tied game. That to me was a clear coaching mistake, and it could have easily lost the game. We harshly judge players for making bad decisions in a split second, but give GG a pass for some reason.

Today we haer that GG's favorite in Bartowski is now getting a game in for no discernible reason after last nights lineup played its most complete game of the season. Kulak stayed out later at practice, so he's likely not hurt.

Nothing would make me happier than GG being the next Scotty Bowman, but until he does better than a first round sweep I am going to be critical of dumb decisions.
I've said before, some of GG's player usage decisions drive me as crazy as the next guy. I literally scream at my TV and call for GG's head whenever I see our 4th line matched up against opposing 1st/2nd lines or when our 4th line is out there in the final 5 minutes of a tie or close game.

But also like I've said, no coach is perfect. Every fanbase has their own issues with their coach, which is why we should be happy about the fact that we only have a couple things to complain about with Gulutzan. He's not the best coach, but he's certainly not the worst and I'd take him over half of the coaches in the NHL today.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #1031
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Sure but it's not like that can't be accounted for. Using preshoot-out years as a baseline compared to post shootout years there was about 88.5% of games that ended in a win compared to 100% now. So there are about 13% more wins awarded last year compared to pre-shootout years.

Reducing post 2005 wins by 13% to normalize for the extra wins awarded puts GG 4th all time for winning %. Just behind Risebrough and ahead of Darryl Sutter.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #1032
BruceCody
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceCody View Post
Quote:
Wes Gilbertson‏ @WesGilbertson

Flames D Brett Kulak skated a lot longer than any other blue-liner today. I'm guessing D Matt Bartkowski draws in tomorrow against Blue Jackets.
Wes Gilbertson‏ @WesGilbertson

Flames D Brett Kulak stays in the lineup tonight. So I guessed wrong based on his lengthy skate yesterday.
BruceCody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceCody For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 10:24 AM   #1033
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. Okay that is pretty funny. I guess GG is a good coach again.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #1034
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Janko and vertseeg in OT? Gone. Get out of here
Wyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:03 PM   #1035
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Seven.
Two.
And one.

Before anyone posts any silly anecdote about player deployment or how they hate looking at that godawful silver tie of his, just know -- that's the Flames' record in the last ten.

This is a good team, for ####'s sake.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #1036
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyguy View Post
Janko and vertseeg in OT? Gone. Get out of here
There's nothing wrong with Janko and Versteeg on OT, they just need to play with a more veteran D.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #1037
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Seven.
Two.
And one.

Before anyone posts, any silly anecdote about player deployment or how they hate looking at that godawful silver tie of his, just know -- that's the Flames' record in the last ten.

This is a good team, for ####'s sake.
Do you have a thing against context? Or, just like to look at things in one dimension? Stats don't say everything, most people know that, so what is your problem?
Old 11-22-2017, 08:13 PM   #1038
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a thing against context? Or, just like to look at things in one dimension? Stats don't say everything, most people know that, so what is your problem?
What's your point?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:18 PM   #1039
Wyguy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
What's your point?
I am not going to spell everything I am saying out to you. Worst come to worse, pull out a dictionary and figure out what I was saying.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:21 PM   #1040
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am not going to spell everything I am saying out to you. Worst come to worse, pull out a dictionary and figure out what I was saying.
So why post all this GG hate in this thread? There is a Fire GG thread for that.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote