Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #941
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
when brodano was a thing, brodie was bar none the best player on the flames and pretty much jesus

when gio went down everyone though this team was dead in the water but brodie kept the train going

i hate to speculate but i wonder how much of his decline has to do with his SO having ms. he has not been anywhere near the same player since she was diagnosed, its pretty night and day

Or even simpler play him as he was played when he had all that success/.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #942
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dont see how changing which side of the ice he plays on makes that much of a difference for the areas he has regressed in. he doesnt seem to have the wheels he used to, his passing isnt nearly as crisp, he has been good for at least a couple of completely boneheaded plays every single game, hes not as tenacious on the puck, etc

these aren't things i expect to regress this much from a guy who was the best player on a team with monahan, gio and gaudreau simply because he skates up the opposite side of the ice now(maybe the bonehead plays). i have hesitated to attribute most of his success to gio simply because he kept it up after gio went down, but i'm really starting to wonder how much of tj brojesus was a product of giordano
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #943
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
The day his 'decline' started was the day GG decided that left/right pairing absolutely had to be a thing. Brodie played RD his entire NHL career prior to that. When he got the full time gig with the Flames, Hartley lamented how Brodie had no idea how could he could be. During the early years of the rebuild, he was getting better and better every game.

I don't doubt his wife's diagnosis had an effect on him. But IMO the day his troubles started was the day he got shifted over to the left side simply because that's how he shot. Having Wideman as his partner didn't help of course.

I'm a patient guy and don't really get into the fire GG debate. But the one thing that drives me nuts about the coach is this LD/RD thing he has going on. Brodie on the RD was a top 20 D. A legit top pairing player. Brodie on the LD is a shell of his former self. He makes boneheaded plays that he simply never used to do. How many giveaways does he make a game now? He RARELY used to make those mistakes. Now it's a daily thing. Players aren't supposed to get worse in their primes years. Sadly, that is happening to Brodie.

Yes he has gotten better since Wideman left, there's no denying that. But no one can argue he's close to where he was previously. Even though Gio and Hamilton was a top pairing last season, I would still argue that Brodano was even better then them.

I hated how they got broken up, and I hate the LD/RD thing. Chemistry will always, 100% of the time triumph over having players play a position simply because of how they hold their stick.
I think Brodie's decline after the move to what the vats majority of coaches see as the the proper side (I've linked a Babcock video on this before) was more about who he used to play with. Brodie used to make boneheaded plays with Gio too, but Gio is great defensively and had a better knack for covering up.

I just can't see how being on one side or the other causes the issues I'm seeing. Especially after this amount of time.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #944
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
I dont see how changing which side of the ice he plays on makes that much of a difference for the areas he has regressed in. he doesnt seem to have the wheels he used to, his passing isnt nearly as crisp, he has been good for at least a couple of completely boneheaded plays every single game, hes not as tenacious on the puck, etc

these aren't things i expect to regress this much from a guy who was the best player on a team with monahan, gio and gaudreau simply because he skates up the opposite side of the ice now(maybe the bonehead plays). i have hesitated to attribute most of his success to gio simply because he kept it up after gio went down, but i'm really starting to wonder how much of tj brojesus was a product of giordano
Ofcourse it was. Anyone that plays with Gio has phenomenal performance, look at Hamilton? Can't be coincidence

But a simple start would be putting him back with Gio.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #945
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fire Glen Gulutzan

Honest question, does anyone feel the Flames have won even a single game where the difference was coaching? And if so, do those instances outnumber the times where they’ve won in spite of coaching?

In my mind Gulutzan may not be the worst coach in the world but he sure has this team fighting uphill more often than not because of his questionable decisions and unwillingness to adapt and make changes. It was the same way with Brent Sutter. (remember his marriage to the Bouwmeester/Butler and Iginla/Jokinen experiments?)

It just seems like we’re constantly making excuses with this guy.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 11-17-2017 at 10:16 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #946
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah Warrener said some interesting things today. Said when paired with a new defender he knew right away if it was going to work because you either clicked or your didn't and time wouldn't change that. Brodie and Wideman never clicked and things never improved but Brodie and Stone formed a decent pairing right away. It's looking like Brodie/Hamonic simply isn't going to work and playing them together for an entire season is likely going to lead to unfulfilled potential of the talent on the blue line. Unfortunately Gulutzan is probably the most stubborn head coach in the NHL so I feel this discussion is going to go long into the season.
I don't agree with this. It's not a simple a matter as "oh, it doesn't work, they're not feeling it so it's never going to work".

Our example of this would be the Giordano - Hamilton pairing. When it was first tried it was our worst defense pairing ever. When it was attempted again later on, they turned into one of the best top pairings in the entire league. Glen's approach of trying to force chemistry isn't necessarily the right one, but crossing it off his "list of defence pairings to try out" outright isn't realistic IMO.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:44 AM   #947
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
And there is where I completely disagree. Of our 10 wins, I give Smith credit for a majority of them. Of our 8 losses, I blame the goaltending on a minority of them. Basically, I think goaltending had covered up for the team not playing sound hockey.
Well their all situations save percentage is ranked 20th overall, so that's a bit of a stretch.

Smith was great in several games this season, but the numbers don't suggest the Flames are riding goaltending to a plus .500 record.

Smith is an important part of the hockey team, but it doesn't boil down to all wins are due to Smith in spite of Gulutzan and all losses are Gulutzan on his own.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #948
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
So is this going to be a thing?

Win three and a row and all good. Lose one and we fire the coach again?

I've just never been the high of highs and low of lows guy so it always strikes me as a tough way to exist.
This probably isn't a fair categorization of my original position that GG isn't the coach to take this team - which I view as a strong stanley cup contender on paper - to the cup.

I laid out five issues with GG's coaching. Lets revisit them with updated comments in red:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

1) Defensive coverage is passive and lacks intensity - work in progress, but there seems to be marked improvements here

2) Special teams are terrible. PK is worse than terrible.
PP looking better

3) Outside of the 3M line, no one battles well in the offensive zone. As a result, there is no zone pressure Huge improvement here -
the 1st and 3rd lines are getting pressure. Even the fourth line is looking better

4) Ice time management is piss poor. The fourth line is getting 10-15 minutes a game, but is composed of Stajan and Glass, two players that are AHLers at best. Huge improvement here -Glass and Stajan are no longer getting ice time!!!!!

5) Bennett - the highest draft pick in flames history - isn't developing properly This is getting better since Jagr began helping him along, but he still looks very weak in terms of confidence and knowing where to be on the ice.
So of the five issues I laid out, two have been fully corrected (#3 and #4). Two look to be work in progress (#1 and #5). And one is still a problem (#2)

Things are definitely looking up...
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:13 PM   #949
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

We beat the Flyers 5-4 in OT. Obligatory bump.

Sent from my LG-V522 using Tapatalk
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 12:57 AM   #950
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Still can't believe how many people hate GG/don't think he's a good coach when all the evidence points towards him being a very good coach.

Yes, he makes some very questionable decisions that drives all of us nuts, but so does every coach. His player usage isn't the greatest, but there's absolutely no denying how incredibly far we've come as a team since he took over from Hartley.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #951
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post
Still can't believe how many people hate GG/don't think he's a good coach when all the evidence points towards him being a very good coach.

Yes, he makes some very questionable decisions that drives all of us nuts, but so does every coach. His player usage isn't the greatest, but there's absolutely no denying how incredibly far we've come as a team since he took over from Hartley.
Mike Smith is saving his butt this season.The D is supposed to be top 3 but they look top 20.Pk is killing us.

Last edited by Kybb79; 11-19-2017 at 01:20 AM.
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #952
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Brina Burke in fine form

Quote:
“Unless you’ve got it in the room, unless you draft and trade with an eye towards lifestyle and culture, it doesn’t matter (how good your coach is). Jesus Christ couldn’t get 20 idiots to win,” Burke proclaimed.

“The guys we put in the room, we want a certain level of professionalism, we want certain attributes,” he added moments later, after everybody had recovered from the God reference. “Coachability, listening skills, empathy for teammates — all the stuff we look for, it takes time. You can’t change the room, you can’t change the whole thing overnight.”
http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/...4-952d5b3f2568

Last edited by Dion; 11-19-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 AM   #953
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

GG=NG, regardless of if the team wins.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 AM   #954
Dr. Doom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't mind GG as coach but one thing I can't seem to understand is...

on paper defensively we should have one of the best in the league.
So why is it that we don't?
Dr. Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:08 AM   #955
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Matt Stajan out there in the last 2 minutes of a tied game. That sums up everything about GG regarding situational awareness and bias to veterans.

The goal against total in the last 5 games even without the disaster in Detroit indicate a major issue with team defense. Thats on all 3 coaches.

Has the P.P been solved or was yesterday an anomaly? Time will tell, but the fact that we have a repeat of last year suggests to me that the rest of the NHL has figured out how to PK against us and we haven't adjusted.

Glad they pulled out the win yesterday. It shows the team has character, but the optics don't seem to reflect the results at the moment. I liked their game better against Pittsburgh and Washington in terms of control. This is far more entertaining, but likely not sustainable.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:31 AM   #956
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I won't defend our PK because it's been god awful, but the power play has always been decent with this team.

We are currently 13th at just over 20%. Yesterday helped obviously, but that's what happens over the course of a season. Some games you can score and others it becomes a real challenge. I think a sample of roughly 20 games is big enough to see that the PP is working, but the PK is in serious trouble.

Part of the reason for the rough PK is system, but the other part is personnel. Our defense group has mostly not been very good on the defensive end this year, apart from Giordano.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #957
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
GG=NG, regardless of if the team wins.
Don't know if serious, but if so, how much winning does that statement cover?
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:37 AM   #958
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol, the rallying cry of the no good fire GG crowd:

"Visually worse!"
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #959
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
I don't mind GG as coach but one thing I can't seem to understand is...

on paper defensively we should have one of the best in the league.
So why is it that we don't?
5 on 5 the Flames have the 6th best GA, pretty respectable..
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #960
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are ebbs and flows to a season. Not many teams will be playing at there peak from game one. I think a sign of a good coach is teams don't go on prolonged losing streaks. Every team, and I mean every team is going to lose games this season. The key is minimizing streaks.

Regards to the pk, we have allowed 20 ppg so far. 14 of those came from 6 games. And 6 of the 20 goals are from two blow out losses. The % sucks, but it is heavily weighed down by a few games. I think you are better to look at the results.

5 games where multiple ppg are scored against we are 1-4-0
In the remaining games we allow one or less ppg we are 10-4-0
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote