Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #261
burning_acid1
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully my blizzaks will last a couple more winters...
burning_acid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #262
Pablothegreat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think I have read a few post here that the Nokian WRG2 would be considered a "jack of all trades" all weather tire. I get the impression that they do an adequate job as a winter tire (but not as good as a dedicated winter tire), and can be left on your car for all season driving. (That's seems to be a real plus for me as the convienence is nice)

I don't think I have the budget or space to keep 2 sets of winter/summer tires, but I do want some comfort that the winter tire I am considering buying is good.

Most likely will pick up some WRG2 in the next few weeks, but do any members feel very strongly that the WRG2 is a complete waste of money. This will be on our family Honda Accord, mostly used as a city commuter to trek the kids from A to B. Longer drives will be handle by our truck, as we need to pack a kitchen sink to go anywhere.
Pablothegreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #263
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the previous version of the WR G2 and it was a fantastic tire. It worked well in the snow also. Much much better than an all season. I don't think you can go wrong with a WR G2.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #264
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablothegreat View Post
I think I have read a few post here that the Nokian WRG2 would be considered a "jack of all trades" all weather tire. I get the impression that they do an adequate job as a winter tire (but not as good as a dedicated winter tire), and can be left on your car for all season driving. (That's seems to be a real plus for me as the convienence is nice)

I don't think I have the budget or space to keep 2 sets of winter/summer tires, but I do want some comfort that the winter tire I am considering buying is good.

Most likely will pick up some WRG2 in the next few weeks, but do any members feel very strongly that the WRG2 is a complete waste of money. This will be on our family Honda Accord, mostly used as a city commuter to trek the kids from A to B. Longer drives will be handle by our truck, as we need to pack a kitchen sink to go anywhere.
Try this place for the WRG2s:

http://www.pmctire.com/?___store=pmb...om_store=pmbfr

They're supposed to be legit.

If you decide to get them at Kal Tire, do not go to the one at Chinook Centre. They're totally incompetent.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:12 PM   #265
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Walmart just dropped price of their nexen tires to 90 bucks per tire. Has anyone used these before? I am just looking for a decent tire on snow and ice for the wife
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #266
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

B-b-bump. It's that time again.

I switched one car over to winters on Friday at my father-in-law's shop. Earlier in the thread I asked some questions about doing my own changeovers as I'd like to learn how and also not have to bug someone else to do it for me.

A couple more questions for those not so inept as myself, if I may:

- Anyone had any experience with electric impact wrenches? I have a compressor, but an electric one just strikes me as more convenient. The compressor doesn't have a huge tank and I'd be doing this in a fairly enclosed space (standard 2-car garage), so if I can avoid having it constantly running, my ears and sanity would benefit greatly. This is one that I am looking at:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en

- A torque wrench for final hand tightening seems like the smart thing to do, even with an impact wrench. Would an el cheapo torque wrench do the trick for this? Or should I invest in something more?

Keep in mind that I'll be using this stuff precisely twice per year - spring and fall wheel changeovers on two cars. Anything more advanced than that and the car goes to the father-in-law's shop. So I'd rather not spend an arm and a leg on something that is way more than what this grasshopper needs.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #267
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

That electric impact is quite a bit more powerful than a regular pneumatic one. You only need 100-125 ft/lbs for lug nuts, that things is 240. I'd be careful using that for tightening them.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #268
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I picked up a Torque wrench on sale from Canadian Tire for $45 last week. I will only use it twice a year for tire changes.

Seems alright for that.

An regular impact wrench would be enough for me, but my car only needs 85 lbs-feet, so un-tightening isn't that difficult.

Question for people who use jack stands, where do you place them under the car, and where do you place the jack? My car manual only had the locations for the jack mounting point on the side of the car.

I'm assuming you need to jack the car from the back or front of the car, to get both jack stands in but I didn't see a spot to do that.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #269
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post

I'm assuming you need to jack the car from the back or front of the car, to get both jack stands in but I didn't see a spot to do that.
Just do 1 corner at a time, you don't need to use jack stands.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #270
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can put the jackstands on the pinch weld, away from door frames ect and so long as their isnt the fuel line running along it. I usually put them on the suspension so the pinch welds arent squished. You'll have to jack it up one wheel at a time.

Honestly just skip the jackstands, they are a waste of time. You wont be under the car and if you put a peice of wood behind the tires the car wont roll.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #271
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
That electric impact is quite a bit more powerful than a regular pneumatic one. You only need 100-125 ft/lbs for lug nuts, that things is 240. I'd be careful using that for tightening them.
Good to know - thanks. I was incorrectly assuming that you could set it to a specific level of torque.

Do you think that an impact wrench is overkill for what I'm trying to do? My cars are both small (VW and Mazda), and I'm no lightweight either.

If I was to still go the impact wrench route, would pneumatic one provide me with the ability to set varying strengths? A couple that I looked at online seemed to be more powerful than the electric version.

This is awesome - thanks for continued info.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #272
hockeycop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

For those of you who are procrastinating in regards to putting them on...

City of Calgary
10:38 AM MST Monday 15 November 2010
Winter storm warning for
City of Calgary issued

Snow and blowing snow overnight into Tuesday.

This is a warning that dangerous winter weather conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions...Listen for updated statements.

A fast moving Alberta clipper is forecast to develop near Calgary tonight tracking southeastwards into Montana by Tuesday morning. Snow will develop along the northern foothills late this afternoon spreading towards the Cypress Hills overnight. Snowfall amounts along the foothills are expected to be near 10 to 15 cm. Along and north of a line from Calgary to Brooks, snowfall amounts of 10 cm are expected tonight. Heavy snow will continue into Tuesday morning in the Medicine Hat and Cypress Hills regions giving amounts of 10 to 20 cm. The heaviest snow will taper off Tuesday morning for the foothills and Tuesday afternoon over the Cypress Hills.

Strong northerly winds will develop behind the clipper giving wind gusts to 70 km/h over Southern Alberta. These winds will combine with falling snow to reduce visibilities to near zero at times in blowing snow.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/warni...rt_e.html?ab12
hockeycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #273
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canadian Tire also has this model:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/6/Tools/1/CompressorsAirTools/ImpactWrenches/PRD~0541265P/Mastercraft%252BMaximum%252BImpact%252BWrench%252B with%252BDigital%252BControls.jsp

Lets you dial in the torque to a desired setting and it is electric. Some reviews are mixed on it, and the sale price seems too good to be true. The cynic in me wonders if there is a flaw and they're trying to get rid of them.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #274
yads
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As with most master craft products, it's probably not the greatest. As the reviews seem to suggest the torque settings are likely way off.
yads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yads For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #275
Pinner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

Do you think that an impact wrench is overkill for what I'm trying to do?
Yes, a small ratchet or a longer breaker bar will easily produce enough torque for wheel nuts.

Edit: or the stock OEM wheel nut wrench

Last edited by Pinner; 11-15-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #276
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
- Anyone had any experience with electric impact wrenches? I have a compressor, but an electric one just strikes me as more convenient.
I have this bad boy. I'm in the same situation as you- I have a compressor but for the sake of having to fill a 17 gallon tank just for the tire change seemed silly.

Plus now when I build stuff (decks, playstructures) they all include a silly number of lag bolts. My dad let out a Tim Allen "man grunt" when helping me put together my niece's play structure and I was able to drive an 8" lag bolt in with no trouble. (He's getting one for Christmas now too.)

For tightening I just bought a T shaped tire iron and manually torque them. I may not be able to eyeball torque- but I can feel it in my arms.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #277
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do

Go there if you havent ordered tires yet.

The shipping cost is an extra 40/tire but youll probably end up saving around 400 bucks on a set of tires.

My dad and girlfriends parents tires should be here this week, Locally they wanted ~1000 for a new set... online is under 400 for the tires and an extra 120 for shipping... done and easy.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #278
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good to know - thanks. I was incorrectly assuming that you could set it to a specific level of torque.

Do you think that an impact wrench is overkill for what I'm trying to do? My cars are both small (VW and Mazda), and I'm no lightweight either.

If I was to still go the impact wrench route, would pneumatic one provide me with the ability to set varying strengths? A couple that I looked at online seemed to be more powerful than the electric version.

This is awesome - thanks for continued info.
Personally I'd just use a breaker bar unless you're doing the change over often. Most pneumatic impacts have a dial to adjust the power level.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:38 PM   #279
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm slowly swaying myself away from the impact wrench - based on the feedback here it may be overkill for twice a year changeovers.

Am I correct with this assessment: a breaker bar is essentially a torque wrench but without the fancy torque readings/adjustments? So a torque wrench set on the highest level of torque becomes, fort all intents and purposes, a simple breaker bar?

Is a torque wrench essential, or is a breaker bar all that one needs? Is "as tight as I can go" going to be safe, or is this not something that an amateur like me can properly gauge?

I guess I'm just trying to decide whether a good torque wrench can do the whole job, or whether I need to get a breaker bar for loosening. The factory wrenches that came with the car are a bit flimsy, and I'd rather just keep them in the spare tire compartments because the day I forget to put it back in is the day I'd get a flat.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #280
TylerSVT
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Torque wrench is required to get the feel of how much torque you need.

Now i only use a breaker bar to do mine, i can tell how much torque it needs and at what point is too much.

If you dont have a torque wrench, get a good one. They are expensive but worth it.
TylerSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerSVT For This Useful Post: