Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2021, 01:33 PM   #61
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't say I have watched DeBrusk that closely, but going by the recent comments from his coach, his diminishing production over the past couple of seasons, and being another left-shot LW, I just don't see how he fits.

Other players will become available as the season wears on, so I would consider the opportunity cost and be patient at this point.

Sutter did do well with Husleius back in the day though, so he isn't totally against one-dimensional players as long as it is a dimension the team needs.
Old 11-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #62
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Monahan for DeBrusk + pick --- I would be fine with that. Monahan is finished as a top 6 player imo.
Maybe the cap savings helps them sign Johnny and Chucky. Could make sense if they have to over pay to keep those two. Debrusk cant be any worse than current Monahan.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #63
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It baffles me that people look at the team this season as is and want to trade Monahan. We are winning. We need to add to the current group to increase our chances of winning the cup. Subtracting Monahan for lesser players (Debrusk is most certainly a less player by any metric) is stupid. Stop thinking about next season right now, we're winning in this season. Think about next season after this season. Think about winning this season.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 01:38 PM   #64
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

The trade chip we have on the roster is Valimaki. We could try and ditch pitlick for extra salary room. Then we have prospects and picks. Those are the types of moves we should try to make.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #65
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Tuuka Rask may be close to returning too. Bruins may want to clear some cap space.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #66
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
It baffles me that people look at the team this season as is and want to trade Monahan. We are winning. We need to add to the current group to increase our chances of winning the cup. Subtracting Monahan for lesser players (Debrusk is most certainly a less player by any metric) is stupid. Stop thinking about next season right now, we're winning in this season. Think about next season after this season. Think about winning this season.
Moving Monahan now allows you to take on a ton of salary this year. That's the reason to do it in season, otherwise 100% agree, it's an offseason issue.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #67
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

He was on a pretty nice uptrend as a player since making the Bruins, I wonder what happened there.

If the Flames continue to play like contenders, you wonder what irons Treliving has in the fire. Not a lot of cap room left.

I think unless there are serious injuries that need roster replacement, the D is what you get. They will live and die by the youth on defense.

At forward, I think they still need a 2 way top 9 forward. Preferably right handed. Pitlick just isn't doing it for me in a top 9 role. If Debrusk was right handed I think the Flames should be all over that. Another left shot winger? I dunno.

I do wonder how mid season trades would work under Sutter. Given the players issues, how long would it take for him to get up to speed?
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #68
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

If Flames aren’t rumoured to be in on it, then the ‘Tre is in on everything’ narrative blows up
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:52 PM   #69
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Brad probably just trying to up the price.

Really don't see the fit here. We are already super deep on the left side and also have Pelletier in the system.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #70
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Monahan for DeBrusk + pick --- I would be fine with that. Monahan is finished as a top 6 player imo.

Ruins likely aren’t taking on more cap than they are giving up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 02:07 PM   #71
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Unless the Flames are trading a LW back to the Bruins I don't see the fit. Wouldn't be surprised if Treliving called Boston just to see what the asking price was, but I don't think the Flames need him at all. I would be pretty stunned if they actually traded for him.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #72
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan has squat to do with anything the team is achieving right now. He's again the definition of a passenger that is possibly completely out of the league in 2 seasons unless he finds some magic beans.

This is a great time to move someone like him because there's no real pressure to do it. The bad part is that there isn't a team out there that would touch that bum unless the Flames give a lot more to sweeten the deal.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:35 PM   #73
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's probably the agent putting rumours out there. DeBrusk has ties to Edmonton and being in a contract year, would probably love to get DeBrusk as many McPoints as possible. The best way to make a team want a player is to make them think their main rival might get him, so by mentioning the Flames and Oilers, he is probably hoping to get the teams to ramp up to an offer Boston might accept.
GGG
Old 11-30-2021, 02:40 PM   #74
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It baffles me that people think other teams want Monahan, even with 50% retained I think teams would rather have the cap space.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:42 PM   #75
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Debrusk is simply not what the Flames need. They should be able to make one move before the deadline to improve the team, and adding a medium sized, softish, utility LW is literally the last item on the wish list.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:47 PM   #76
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure Treliving called because that's his job. Doesn't seem like a major need with him being a left hand shot LW. I'm not high on Valimaki but I certainly wouldn't trade him straight across for a middle 6 winger. Oilers can have him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:53 PM   #77
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's based on the fact that Monny has been a very bad player for Calgary this year.

If you look at which player is likely to give you better bang for your buck going forward, (including this year) most GM's would take Debrusk over Monny.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 02:59 PM   #78
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It’s fake news. Treliving is never in anything lately unless it’s for a depth dman or a plug.

That said I would do Monahan for DeBrusk without thinking twice.
At least there is some small hope with Debrusk and he is cheaper
I don’t think Boston would do it.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #79
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seems like a Tre player. LW part be damned.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:29 PM   #80
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm actually a bit weary of DeBrusk, I remember one of the Bruins analysts talking about him on the FAN last season. It's been a while so I'm obviously paraphrasing, but they said something like this: DeBrusk started seeing himself as a scorer after last season(19-20) so he stopped doing the little things that made him successful. Him and the coaching staff see different roles for him, so he is not too happy in Boston.

Again, I could be misremembering things, but I don't see that sort of attitude flying under Sutter.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote