Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #61
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This Russian import came over two years ago to get a foothold on the North American game and has gone on to be a student of the college game with UConn. A tall lanky kid with a frame that could handle more muscle and weight, his bread and butter so far is his ability to play a solid defensive game using his four direction skating prowess to close down on attackers, disrupt the cycle, and move in and out of game situations with strong stride and push to his acceleration. You have to view his as a glass half full; his size, his feet and his soft hands are already evident and help him play a solid game, and contribute decent minutes 5 on 5 and some standout work on the penalty kill. The new age defenseman that continue to emerge play with strong active sticks, high end agility, foot quickness and use their skating ability to pressure as defenders. Has a heavy shot. This kid is starting to show similar attributes at a much bigger size. Granted he is not going to be considered as a premier attack style offenseman to anybody who has seen him, but there is a quite a bit of upsize there to build his game from one where he projects as a mid pairing defensive defender to one who will eventually build a creative attacking style where he is much more confident in jumping into the play.

--Bill Placzek--
I'll see you're big crappy Kanzig take, and raise you Erik Cernak.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #62
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The description not Kanzig/Sieloff/Wotherspoon. Seems like a better skater and puck mover.
I think the career high of 11 points at ANY level is a massive red flag that the upside just isn’t there

Is there an example of a top 4 D in the entire league who produced that little offensively?
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #63
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Nice. 11 points in 34 games is pretty good for a true NCAA freshman defenseman. Like taking guys who've played against more advanced competition and aren't overagers.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #64
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just worried about the NCAA loophole. I hope Kuznetsov will want to play in Calgary more than Fox did.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #65
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I think the career high of 11 points at ANY level is a massive red flag that the upside just isn’t there

Is there an example of a top 4 D in the entire league who produced that little offensively?
I don't think he's projected to be a top 4 D.
More so a stay at home 5-6.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #66
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He's a 17 year old in the NCAA!

Holloway had what a few more points than him and he's a forward.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #67
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't mind trading down in the first round, but I really wish we would have used one of those assets and traded up in the second to get an earlier pick.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #68
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's hard to get excited about a pick with such limited offensive upside. Ideally you like to see your defensive defencemen still put up points in lower leagues.

Not a fan of the pick, but if he does develop, he could turn into a pretty rare player. I just hope he's not a player who ends up spending a ton of time in his own zone because he can't move the puck up the ice.

Beyond that, I don't really see the upside and I prefer to use draft picks on upside.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #69
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Steve Koumianos - The Draft Analyst - Mar. 18th: "His biggest contribution on offense comes in the form of joining the rush and unleashing a heavy and accurate shot, but Kuznetsov also goes end to end thanks to a clean, powerful stride and impressive acceleration. His vision, creativity and pass accuracy are average, but he’s good at eluding pressure and playing keep-away long enough until forward support arrives."
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-d.../Yan-Kuznetsov

Flames haven't picked a defensive D man since Riley Bruce, Adam Ollas-Mattsson and Keegan Kanzig.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #70
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

seeing us draft Russian kids still feels a bit weird lol
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:26 AM   #71
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Knowing nothing about these prospects it seems like Poirier would have been the prospect to be excited about but glad they got a D.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #72
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Which is why I hate the pick

I think left shot bottom pairing guys are pretty much the easiest to find with trades and free agency so I don’t want second round picks used on them

Kylington, Fox, Rasmus all had big upside when they were drafted so I liked those picks at the time
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #73
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2020-nhl-d.../Yan-Kuznetsov

Flames haven't picked a defensive D man since Riley Bruce, Adam Ollas-Mattsson and Keegan Kanzig.
I think that's what scares some of the posters.

All 3 of those were complete strike outs.
Mattsson got a slight sniff in the AHL.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:27 AM   #74
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
He's a 17 year old in the NCAA!

Holloway had what a few more points than him and he's a forward.
Leave Holloway alone... he’s suffered enough... hahaha
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #75
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Russian
College player
Defensive Dman

Hopefully the Flames know what they're doing here. Personally I would have rather taken a swing for a higher upside player like Tristen Robins who could be a future #1C.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #76
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's hard to get excited about a pick with such limited offensive upside. Ideally you like to see your defensive defencemen still put up points in lower leagues.

Not a fan of the pick, but if he does develop, he could turn into a pretty rare player. I just hope he's not a player who ends up spending a ton of time in his own zone because he can't move the puck up the ice.

Beyond that, I don't really see the upside and I prefer to use draft picks on upside.
Not all defensemen need to put up points to be effective.

Honestly, Kuznetsov sounds like a biggy meaner Brodie. Also sounds a bit like Chris Tanev. Both very good top 4 defensemen who don't put up much points.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #77
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post

11 points in 34 games as a 17 year old in the NCAA is actually fairly impressive. Especially for a defensemen.

For example Hanifin had 23 in 37 games in a similar situation and he was a top 5 pick- heralded as a future number 1 defensemen.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #78
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:

This is a 17 year old playing against 20-22 year olds. 11 points is actually pretty impressive given the relative ages and competitiveness of the NCAA. Let the guy play an 18 year old season against the competition and we'll get a better idea of his upside.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #79
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default With the 50th OA pick the Flames select D Yan Kuznetsov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

Good thing we used a 2nd round pick on the kind of player who is available for nothing all the time.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #80
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which is why I hate the pick

I think left shot bottom pairing guys are pretty much the easiest to find with trades and free agency so I don’t want second round picks used on them

Kylington, Fox, Rasmus all had big upside when they were drafted so I liked those picks at the time
Russians seem to play their off wing or off side with no issues.

Kuznetsov could play the right side for all we know.