Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #321
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dream of one day seeing an angry and engaged Monahan.
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #322
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Have read a few times about CGY's "inexperience in the playoffs" - that's bs.

The Avs top line has 4 more games total than CGY's top line in the playoffs. The Avs top d pairing has 7 games LESS playoff games than Gio & Brodie.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:43 AM   #323
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The concern for me is that this is an extension of how our top 6 played for the last 30 games of the season - but now it’s caught up to them playing a hungrier team that took a step up for the playoffs.

First 51 games (pre all-star break) Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, and Lindholm combined for 101 goals. Last 34 games (including playoffs) those 4 have combined for 33 goals.

And it’s not just the production that’s an issue, because that can dry up, it’s that they’ve looked pretty lost on the ice. Just look disinterested, with no real urgency or hunger to their game.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 AM   #324
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

At the end of the day the Flames just have no game breakers on the team.

Really starting to see that johnny is only a great reg season player. And Monahan is a ghost.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 06:48 AM   #325
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

It’s my pretty firm belief that targeting Stone was actually a longterm play where we’d see Gaudreau moving on after his contract (or the deadline before). Hard not to believe this team would have more playoff success with the much larger skilled winger.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:53 AM   #326
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
He's never played like that in his life, so there's no sense even complaining about it. Myself, I'm looking forward to hearing about what injuries he's got now.

Also, other than throwing the body in game 1, Lindholm hasn't done sweet f all either. Johnny needs some linemates if we're going to win another game, let alone the series. And by that, I don't mean James Neal's below-NHL-calibre staking.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #327
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
It’s my pretty firm belief that targeting Stone was actually a longterm play where we’d see Gaudreau moving on after his contract (or the deadline before). Hard not to believe this team would have more playoff success with the much larger skilled winger.
The issue with Stone is the assets we would have had to give up for him combined with the chance we may have lost him as a UFA at the end of the year. Vegas has quickly become one of the most desirable places to play in the NHL. Calgary on the other hand is in the lower tier for destinations.

We will always have to overpay players who are UFA. Stone signed for 9.5 x 8. I have no doubts between the tax difference and other factors of desirability, the Flames would have had to pay 11 plus a year.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:55 AM   #328
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the game was interesting.....

Gaudreau wondering if he can or has the ability to play his style of game in the playoffs? In all three games his game is non existent.

Flames backs are against the wall, they have not played well in any of the 3 games so far.

Avalanche has controlled and or dominated the last 2 games..

Can the Flames wake up.....
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:57 AM   #329
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Well the game was interesting.....

Gaudreau wondering if he can or has the ability to play his style of game in the playoffs? In all three games his game is non existent.

Flames backs are against the wall, they have not played well in any of the 3 games so far.

Avalanche has controlled and or dominated the last 2 games..

Can the Flames wake up.....
Johnny was noticeable, but not good enough
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #330
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watching Marner block two big shots in the last 10 seconds of the Leafs game was shocking. I used to argue with Leafs fans how much better Gaudreau was - but I’m questioning that belief now after seeing his playoff performance.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:59 AM   #331
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_F.T.W View Post
Not in his makeup, he is very similar to Jaybo, great player, but no extra gear
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:00 AM   #332
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
We have been down the road of trying to win cups with your best player being a winger and even with that player being a HOF talent outside of one season the Flames have nothing to show for Iginla's career. The Flames just don't have that elite center and it's a lot to expect a small winger to carry a team in the playoffs as Iginla outside of one magical season couldn't tip the scales. Gaudreau can be better but he needs help. Maybe we have hit that point were we are seeing the limitations of Sean Monahan as the number one center on a supposed Stanley Cup contender. I will not argue his knack for quietly going about putting pucks in the net but he just doesn't have that extra gear that we are seeing from MacKinnon.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:11 AM   #333
Flames_F.T.W
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Not in his makeup, he is very similar to Jaybo, great player, but no extra gear
That's a pretty good comparison actually.
Flames_F.T.W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames_F.T.W For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2019, 07:12 AM   #334
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think we're gonna see an enormous change to the top-six this summer. I think the Flames need another centre and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see someone like Matt Duchene brought in. They need someone more dynamic.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:13 AM   #335
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames89 View Post
Watching Marner block two big shots in the last 10 seconds of the Leafs game was shocking. I used to argue with Leafs fans how much better Gaudreau was - but I’m questioning that belief now after seeing his playoff performance.
I can't honestly say Gaudreau is better than Marner. Id put them on the same level offensively. However Marner is one of the top forwards in the league for blocking and intercepting passes(approx 9th overall total and 3rd best in the oz zone, as well as loose puck recovery is phenomenal. Marner also kills penalties. Marner plays a much better 200 ft game.

I'm not shocked Marner blocked them at all. He's done that before. 43 blocked shots this year.

Playoff stats

Gaudreau 12 points/18 games
Monahan 13 points/18 games
Marner 16 points/16 games

Last edited by soulchoice; 04-16-2019 at 07:22 AM.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:14 AM   #336
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
So after three games, rush scoring chances are 42-12 Avalanche. They are doing an outstanding job forcing the Flames to dump-and-chase and over-pursue or turn it over at the Avalanche blueline attempting a high-risk entry. The Flames are falling right into the trap and getting MURDERED in transition.

Per ThePoint

We’ll see how good Peters and the team are at adjustments.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:17 AM   #337
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulchoice View Post
The issue with Stone is the assets we would have had to give up for him combined with the chance we may have lost him as a UFA at the end of the year. Vegas has quickly become one of the most desirable places to play in the NHL. Calgary on the other hand is in the lower tier for destinations.

We will always have to overpay players who are UFA. Stone signed for 9.5 x 8. I have no doubts between the tax difference and other factors of desirability, the Flames would have had to pay 11 plus a year.
Fully agree - but I’m under the impression we were very interested in him, and would’ve signed him longterm given the chance. If we’re going to build a different 1st line that is capable of playing playoff hockey, a 6’4 upgrade to our star winger makes sense. The acquisition costs of an upgrade to a 1st line will be heavy unless we dip into free agency.

It’s brutal that our first line can be shut down by a bunch of plug dmen skating hard and playing physically. These Avs are not good defensively at all, but Gaudreau has nowhere to go, and Monahan can’t find the quiet areas because there aren’t any dummy - you’re in the playoffs.

I think, however, Treliving sees this - and will seek out a solution.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #338
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
We’ll see how good Peters and the team are at adjustments.
Exactly. Maybe an embarrassing ass kicking was what they needed to help get their #### together.
The beauty of best of 7 is, when you lose one at home, you get 3 chances to take home ice back.
Flames really blew it with the first chance. Now we see what this team is made of.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:21 AM   #339
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who could have imagined you could say "The Flames are playing like the Lightning" and it would be a bad thing? Totally disinterested out there. Gaudreau is playing by himself, his linemates haven't showed up yet. Brodie might be the worst pincher in the history of defense. They're being skated out of the rink
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #340
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Johnny was noticeable, but not good enough
If Iginla is known for "the shift", then that debacle Gaudreau demonstrated in the 2nd after the club had just scored was "the anti-shift".

Honestly not sure i have seen one guy be that bad in the space of 30 seconds....ever.

So yeah he was noticeable, but for all the wrong reasons.

It's just one game but his play just doesn't translate in the playoffs. He needs space to work, and this time of year it very much disappears.