Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #2541
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Bennett is a day in day out contributing NHLer so I don't see that as a bust, but as I say, I seem to be somewhat alone in that.
I agree with you, he may not have developed as we hoped, but he's far from a bust.

If he was a 3rd round pick, it would have been an excellent pick.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #2542
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I agree with you, he may not have developed as we hoped, but he's far from a bust.

But he wasn't a 3rd round pick. I'm not sure he belongs in the bust category but massively disappointing for sure and he doesn't seem to be getting any better.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #2543
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The draft position needs to be thrown out the window now as I don't think there is getting past it. That being said, I think even as a second round late first he would still a good pick.

He will probably play 500+ games for this organization. That isn't to bad for an asset. It also isn't like the 3 players drafted after him are having a ton of success either. If anything, the Flames were unlucky to have that 4th pick in that draft year.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #2544
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

In an 82 game season you're probably only going to receive 30 great games out of Bennett, maybe 1/3 or a 1/4 of those 30 great games with a great offensive game. It is what is is, but he has not stepped up at all. At this point we can only hope that he has the trajectory of Brett Connolly, a player that was a high pick but won't his his stride until he's 26/27. For all we know, he finds his game with a different team.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:47 AM   #2545
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion a bust is a player that can’t stick in the league like Yakupov and potentially Puljujarvi. Bennett could easily play 1000 games in the league. He just will never live up to the hype so he is disappointing but not a bust
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 11:48 AM   #2546
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But he wasn't - you can play the What-If scenario all you want and it won't change the course of history one bit. However, the future is yet to be played out and if Treliving can get back even a 3rd rounder for Bennett or something better in a packaged deal to improve the team, heck why not rather than holding on to a potential dream that's declining in value over time? I'm sure that declining value will level off at some point until it's basically worth nothing by the time the player retires. It's also kind of sad to know that all of the previous packaged deals actually didn't involve Bennett because other GM's probably came to the same conclusion about his value.

So, yeah, I've come to accept that he'll be part of the Flames for a bit more longer as a mainstay on the 3rd/4th line winger. I was kind of please with how well he played in the playoffs last season. However, I'm just miffed when he gets into those brain-fart penalties for no good reason!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #2547
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin, Pasternak any of them would be looking good today
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 PM   #2548
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I know these past Flames weren't drafted as high, but I wouldn't call 'em busts, just underwhelming.

Eric Nystrom
Chuck Kobasew
Oleg Saprykin
Chris Dingman
Kent Manderville
Stephane Matteau
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #2549
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Nylander, Ehlers, Larkin, Pasternak any of them would be looking good today

Completely agree. Sam sure blew it drafting himself at #4 instead of one of these guys.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #2550
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
In my opinion a bust is a player that can’t stick in the league like Yakupov and potentially Puljujarvi. Bennett could easily play 1000 games in the league. He just will never live up to the hype so he is disappointing but not a bust
Bennett could very well be a washout, and we'll find out in the next year or so. He is definitely not worth the money he's being paid, and should he not pick up his pace and become a consistent player, they team should cut bait. As to if he's a bust on the same scale as Yakupov, the Oilers' pick managed to score 62 goals and 136 points in 350 games played. Bennett is at 58 goals and 121 points in 331 games played. Bennett needs four goals and 15 points in 19 games to match Yakupov for production. He might have a chance to catch him in goals, but I think he's going to come up short on the points. Bennett looks pretty busted any way you slice it IMO, but he's got until the end of the year to prove it. Frankly, I'd be dangling him as trade bait and see what you can get in return.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:30 PM   #2551
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Once you’ve entered the semantic forest of bust vs massive disappointment vs disappointment etc you’re kind of wasting time. Label it however you’d like: the highest draft pick in franchise history is a middling bottom six player. That sucks. Nice moustache though.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 12:45 PM   #2552
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Bennett could very well be a washout, and we'll find out in the next year or so. He is definitely not worth the money he's being paid, and should he not pick up his pace and become a consistent player, they team should cut bait. As to if he's a bust on the same scale as Yakupov, the Oilers' pick managed to score 62 goals and 136 points in 350 games played. Bennett is at 58 goals and 121 points in 331 games played. Bennett needs four goals and 15 points in 19 games to match Yakupov for production. He might have a chance to catch him in goals, but I think he's going to come up short on the points. Bennett looks pretty busted any way you slice it IMO, but he's got until the end of the year to prove it. Frankly, I'd be dangling him as trade bait and see what you can get in return.
This just isn't true by any math standard I'd look at.

His Points/60 pace last year was equal to a $3M player, and this summer he got a deal at $2.25M

Will never understand the obsession with running this guy into the ground.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #2553
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

He isn't bad. Its the dumb ass penalties he takes. I've no doubt we could trade for players with a similar skill set quite easily that dont have a target on their back. If he could play his game without going to the box every game I would have no issues with him.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #2554
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
But he wasn't a 3rd round pick. I'm not sure he belongs in the bust category but massively disappointing for sure and he doesn't seem to be getting any better.
In labeling someone a bust or not, the draft position is not relative.

A player who ultimately plays 500 games or so can never be labeled a bust, although there still might be some level of disappointment.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #2555
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In labeling someone a bust or not, the draft position is not relative.
Strongly disagree, it's the absolutely most important part in my opinion. Expectations are huge in deciding if someone busts, and that comes in large part based on their draft position.

A 7th round pick can never bust, because if they do nothing, they pretty much meet their expectation.

A 1st overall like Daigle was a massive bust given his expectations. Heck, Doug Wickenheiser and Brian Lawton were too in part because of who came after them.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #2556
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
Jesus, I get that you may not like the guy, but I don't think euthanizing him is the solution to his on ice problems...

haha, not him, just his career. That said, I think Bennett will stick around longer in the NHL because of his 'toughness'.

I think that coaster really applies to Jankowski though, that guy will be out of the league in a year or two if he doesn't figure out his current funk.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:54 PM   #2557
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

4 OA picks going back to 1980:

Spoiler!

Didn't particularly research this, I'm sure you could argue a few guys up/down from their brackets or within their lists. Makar and B Tkachuk seem to be trending to the top 2 brackets, but still early.

To me, Bennett is right in the middle of this list, with lots of potential to move up or drop down. A more interesting analysis would be to see what age each of these guys 'became who they were'. I don't think many forwards in the 'hmmm' group had 4 seasons of 10+ goals by age 23.

Semantics, but I don't think he's a bust, but rather a disappointment.

edit: initially had Dylan Strome (3OA) instead of Marner

Last edited by powderjunkie; 11-15-2019 at 02:08 PM.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:59 PM   #2558
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Once you’ve entered the semantic forest of bust vs massive disappointment vs disappointment etc you’re kind of wasting time. Label it however you’d like: the highest draft pick in franchise history is a middling bottom six player. That sucks. Nice moustache though.
Seriously underrated post.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:05 PM   #2559
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Hmmmmmmmm
Joni Pitkanen
Stephen Weiss
Rostislav Klesla
Sam Bennett
I think Pitkanen is getting underrated. He was a 25 minute a night, 40 point number one defenseman for a near decade before the injuries derailed his career. Don't think he's anywhere near comparable to Bennett.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #2560
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
4 OA picks going back to 1980:

Spoiler!

Didn't particularly research this, I'm sure you could argue a few guys up/down from their brackets or within their lists. Makar and B Tkachuk seem to be trending to the top 2 brackets, but still early.

To me, Bennett is right in the middle of this list, with lots of potential to move up or drop down. A more interesting analysis would be to see what age each of these guys 'became who they were'. I don't think many forwards in the 'hmmm' group had 4 seasons of 10+ goals by age 23.

Semantics, but I don't think he's a bust, but rather a disappointment.

edit: initially had Dylan Strome (3OA) instead of Marner
Kinda ridiculous to put Hickey in bottom category...

he's played ~400 NHL games, maybe more.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote