Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2022, 08:51 AM   #2701
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Inferno it’s “Video Game Deals Canada”. I had to search for it and then I could join it.

One you’re in you have to go through the readme so you can subscribe to notification channels. If you run into issues let me know…it took me a few minutes to get set up. I’m also really new to Discord.

Heads up, Amazon had the MSI Gaming Trio in stock yesterday. Be on the lookout of you prefer shopping there.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:54 AM   #2702
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Inferno it’s “Video Game Deals Canada”. I had to search for it and then I could join it.
Yeah, I went on lbabinz.ca and clicked on the chain icon that's with the other social media links and it opens Discord and brings up an invite window but when I click join it keeps telling me it's unable to accept the invite.

I could have got one of the MSI's last night on Amazon but from what I looked up compared to the FE I didn't think it was worth the extra $150 or whatever the difference is.

I won't be buying new parts for atleast another couple of weeks and probably won't be able to build it for another week after that when they all arrive so I have time to see if an FE will come up.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 10:39 AM   #2703
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yeah, I went on lbabinz.ca and clicked on the chain icon that's with the other social media links and it opens Discord and brings up an invite window but when I click join it keeps telling me it's unable to accept the invite.

I could have got one of the MSI's last night on Amazon but from what I looked up compared to the FE I didn't think it was worth the extra $150 or whatever the difference is.

I won't be buying new parts for atleast another couple of weeks and probably won't be able to build it for another week after that when they all arrive so I have time to see if an FE will come up.
Looking at the benchmarks and everything you don't get that much more from an AIB than you get from the FE. Cooling seems to be a lot better from the AIB vendors but the card seems to run cool as a whole to begin with.

And the pricing in Canada is super weird. The MSI Suprim X is $100 extra over the FE in the US. Here it's about $350. It's super hard to justify the extra cost other than maybe it's easier to get one of those cards vs the FE.

I still have my unopened box of the MSI Suprim X. I was going to return it tomorrow. If you're interested in it I'm happy to sell it to you for cost + tax.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meelapo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 11:10 AM   #2704
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Looking at the benchmarks and everything you don't get that much more from an AIB than you get from the FE. Cooling seems to be a lot better from the AIB vendors but the card seems to run cool as a whole to begin with.

And the pricing in Canada is super weird. The MSI Suprim X is $100 extra over the FE in the US. Here it's about $350. It's super hard to justify the extra cost other than maybe it's easier to get one of those cards vs the FE.

I still have my unopened box of the MSI Suprim X. I was going to return it tomorrow. If you're interested in it I'm happy to sell it to you for cost + tax.
Yeah, that's why I decided to not do it. I can spend that extra money on other parts.

It's the same as when I was deciding on whether I should get an i7-13700k or a Ryzen 9 7900X. From the tests I saw the Ryzen was getting maybe 5 frames more at certain points but paying an extra $200 doesn't feel worth it. And for my 3D work the i7 performs just as good if not better for some things.

I just missed out again on a FE. I got all the way to putting in my credit card code after authorizing through text and and then it told me it was sold out.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:19 AM   #2705
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Yeah, that's why I decided to not do it. I can spend that extra money on other parts.

It's the same as when I was deciding on whether I should get an i7-13700k or a Ryzen 9 7900X. From the tests I saw the Ryzen was getting maybe 5 frames more at certain points but paying an extra $200 doesn't feel worth it. And for my 3D work the i7 performs just as good if not better for some things.

I just missed out again on a FE. I got all the way to putting in my credit card code after authorizing through text and and then it told me it was sold out.
Are you using the desktop or the mobile app? I would strongly recommend to use the mobile app as it seems way faster to actually make the purchase. Keep the "out-of-stock" FE in your cart and as soon as you know it's available go to the app and then to your cart and then scroll down to the bottom and throw in your CVS and your phone number for the code.

And I also used Discord on the web and set notifications to make a sound whenever there was a post in #pc-components. As soon as I heard a ding I'd just jump on the app and refresh my cart and hope the ding sound was for FE stock - I didn't bother to look at the message in the channel.

Last edited by Meelapo; 11-10-2022 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:32 AM   #2706
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Are you using the desktop or the mobile app? I would strongly recommend to use the mobile app as it seems way faster to actually make the purchase. Keep the "out-of-stock" FE in your cart and as soon as you know it's available go to the app and then to your cart and then scroll down to the bottom and throw in your CVS and your phone number for the code.
I've been just having a window of it opened on Chrome and then as soon as I hear an alert I refresh the page. I did have it in my cart the first time I missed out but I needed to restart my computer and it disappeared.

I have it sitting split screened right now in case it comes back up. I have my phone number copied so I can just paste it and then put the CVS code in.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:03 PM   #2707
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Seems they pretty commonly get added at the top of the hour so I tried at 1:00 and sure enough there was some, was sold out by the time I completed my verification though.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #2708
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Seems they pretty commonly get added at the top of the hour so I tried at 1:00 and sure enough there was some, was sold out by the time I completed my verification though.
Yeah, it didn't work out for me either. I thought it was going to work since the page didn't immediately tell me it was out of stock after clicking confirm but eventually after loading it told me it did. It looks like the last drop only had 1 in stock.

Since the last drop a couple of hours ago I've been loading the checkout page at the top of the hour even if I don't hear an alert but nothing has come up yet.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:11 AM   #2709
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

4090 still hasn't melted yet; still using the NVIDIA dongle propped up on boxes with my sidepanel off. Put at least 20 hours into CP2077 the last couple weeks however, so I'm definitely pushing it.

My Seasonic complimentary 16-pin cable arrives today so I'm curious to find out if they built them as right-angle connectors or not, and if not, how flexible they ultimately are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 04:09 PM   #2710
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update: It is not right-angle. I may have to be married to an Open Side Panel just to settle my brain worms going forward.

Really well constructed though, heavy duty cable, clicked in real nice (needed more mustard than the dongle), only takes up 2 PCIe/CPU sockets on the PSU.

Spoiler!

Don't mock me for the dust, it's been open for 2.5 weeks!

Quote:
Old 11-14-2022, 04:13 PM   #2711
photon

Exp:

That looks like the bend would be fine with the case on, even the adapter was saying 35mm before bending and you've got way more than that.
Old 11-14-2022, 04:14 PM   #2712
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'll run it like this for a little while to see how it does and then maybe put the panel on. The cables themselves are incredibly firm; new type of sleeving I haven't come across before.

Quote:
Old 11-15-2022, 06:55 PM   #2713
photon

Exp:

4080 reviews are out, and it's basically 70% of the performance for 75% of the price, so no real advantage or disadvantage in terms of value.

But it looks like if I wanted to use it in 4K in games it would be ok for non RT games, but RT games really skirt the edge where I'd have to use DLSS to get good frame rates. It feels like to do 4K gaming now and some time into the future with RT on the 4090 is where you'd want to be.

It will be interesting to see what the Canadian price will be, the 4090 at $2099 for the FE undercuts exchange even with the recent increase in the dollar. Exchange would suggest $1599 for the 4080 but maybe it'll be $1499 for the FE.

On the other hand for 1440p the 4080 almost feels like overkill even for most RT games.. a 3090 would probably be fine.

But 3090's are still $1400+, or maybe as low as $1100 used on Facebook.

I wonder if 3090 prices new will come down after the 4080 launches?

Looking at 32" monitors and the fact I can't really use a widescreen one with my vertigo I've really only got one option that checks all my boxes (productivity and gaming both).. the XG321UG. Which is like $3000!

I could compromise on the monitor and give up mini-led or HDR or G-Sync or whatever and spend probably less than $1000, but then I feel like I'm wasting money.

I suppose I could get a productivity monitor and a gaming monitor separately but that feels like even more $$ and I don't really have the space for that.

Given all that part of me wants to wait for maybe another generation to see if a few more monitors come along that fit the bill (or they fix subpixel rendering for text for OLED), and just get a 3090 if I can find one for a good price and stick with 1440p for a while (or see what the AMD 7900's do they'll probably compete with the 4080 which would be good for 1440p).
Old 11-16-2022, 07:42 AM   #2714
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's $440 less for a 4080 FE. I'm still going to go for the 4090 FE but I hope the cheaper price convinces more people to go for a 4080 so it's easier to get a 4090. That's wishful thinking though because scalpers don't care.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #2715
photon

Exp:

$2400 is the lowest 4090FE on Facebook now so they've been dropping their prices, that's only $200 above MSRP including GST. At $100 I'd be pretty tempted.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #2716
photon

Exp:

Also watched a video where someone went through their tests of the 4080 and AMD's published benchmarks of the 7900XTX and it looks like the 7900XTX will beat the 4080 in rasterized performance approaching the level of a 4090, but that in RT games it performs about the same as a 3090Ti, so will lose to the 4080. This was all in 4K.

So to me if I want to future proof myself and get a card where I don't really need to think about it for quite a while the 4090 is it. If I want to wait a while before going to 4K gaming then a 3090 or a 7900XT.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:04 AM   #2717
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got all the way to entering a code from my bank to complete the purchase this time.

Best Buy really needs to do something where once you get to checkout it locks in your order so nobody else can get it.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #2718
photon

Exp:

Hah the 4080FE is $1659 at Best Buy. That's OVER exchange rate as opposed to the 4090FE which is under.
Old 11-16-2022, 11:15 AM   #2719
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like it's a user error not properly inserting the cables completely and then bending them?

Last edited by chemgear; 11-16-2022 at 11:20 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #2720
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Sounds like it's a user error not properly inserting the cables completely and then bending them?

That's been my assumption for weeks now. You really have to give some mustard to inserting the plug, and black ABS on black ABS is extremely tricky to see if it's fully inserted (esp on some of the AIBs).

I'm pretty sure Johnny Guru was the first to publicly point it out (but I was musing about it on Discord before his article came out )

Quote: