Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2023, 12:51 PM   #21
Southern_Canuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maybe they are trying to keep Petterson happy since they will be negotiating with him next season for an extension. Seems like good value and easily moveable if he continues to score at his current clip.
I think this is a big part of the decision to re-sign Kuzmenko - he has good chemistry with Pettersson, and the Canucks want to keep Pettersson happy long term.

Boeser used to get wing minutes on Petterson's line (Lotto Line with Miller 6-40-9), but Kuzmenko is more productive, and a better skater. Plus has a more aggressive attitude.

First NHL season:
GP 47 G 21 A 22 P 43 --- with 9 goals and 2 assists on the PP

As a single move, it is an excellent signing, but in the bigger picture of where the Canucks are going... who knows?

S_C

Last edited by Southern_Canuck; 01-26-2023 at 02:23 PM.
Southern_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Southern_Canuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 12:56 PM   #22
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
What’s the point? He’s a good player and this is a decent deal. But why would you not trade him for some decent assets? Missed opportunity by a rudderless franchise. He’s good, he’s fun to watch, but this is a ‘no-man’s land’ kind of deal. It’s a waste of two years of his career, and is an asset wasted for a badly needed rebuild.
Keep in mind it's a "retool," so by the last year of the deal they'll be in contender status. Because miracles!
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Vancouver is in between a rock and a hard place. Pettersson is 24 and won't put up with a full on rebuild. So you either move him and go full scorched earth, or you build around him with a retool. The management group in Vancouver is probably even more opposed to full on rebuilds than the on in Calgary (if that's possible), so it doesn't take much to nudge them towards retool.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:11 PM   #24
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Vancouver is in between a rock and a hard place. Pettersson is 24 and won't put up with a full on rebuild. So you either move him and go full scorched earth, or you build around him with a retool. The management group in Vancouver is probably even more opposed to full on rebuilds than the on in Calgary (if that's possible), so it doesn't take much to nudge them towards retool.
It's on ownership more than management because it goes back a decade

Gillis said we need to rebuild after the 2012 playoffs, aquilini said no

Linden said so after 2016, aquilini said no, and Linden quit

It's a continuing pattern, the fans would have absolutely accepted a rebuild starting this year, especially considering the fact that not only a local generational talent is in this year's draft, but theres potentially 2 more local kids who could go to 10

Aquilini says no though, nothing will be fixed until his court case moves along and hes forced to sell
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 01:17 PM   #25
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

They won't be forced to sell, they'll just move a different brother to the top spot of the team.

Nothing will change. Sadness is all we know.

That said, I am happy we signed this player because he is a good player and he makes things less sad.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:08 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
I think if they get a couple good D prospects for Horvat and can dump Boeser and Myers they will be in pretty good shape. Still have good talent up front, D is a mess, fix that and they could be a 7/8 next year
So move your top goal scorer by 10 goals for prospects and somehow fix the terrible D and be BETTER next season

seems incredibly unlikely
Old 01-26-2023, 03:38 PM   #27
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
So move your top goal scorer by 10 goals for prospects and somehow fix the terrible D and be BETTER next season

seems incredibly unlikely
Offence isn't Vancouver's problem, defence is. Trading Horvat is how you jump start the fix on the back end. That being said if the return for Horvat is forwards then they'll continue to be bad.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:42 PM   #28
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Offence isn't Vancouver's problem, defence is. Trading Horvat is how you jump start the fix on the back end. That being said if the return for Horvat is forwards then they'll continue to be bad.
Without their top goal scorer offence becomes a problem and that D isn't being fixed for next season

Highly unlikely Vancouver improves anytime soon...that is why IMO they should be cashing in.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:46 PM   #29
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Myers will likely be moved post july 1 as well, he will only have 1m in actual salary left on his deal next year
So you’re saying he’ll still be overpaid by a million dollars.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #30
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's sad and awkward that the Canucks are trying to compete instead of trading everyone and everything and tanking balls to the wall.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 04:58 PM   #31
ReinhartonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Existential Canuck dilemma: Anyone who wishes to sign with the Canucks is, by nature of that fact, not someone they should want to sign. Anyone who has the characteristics they should covet, will, because of said character, never sign with them.
ReinhartonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:05 PM   #32
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a good deal in isolation. A two-year deal for a 26 year old currently producing at just under a PPG. He is fun to watch as well. And it is a short commitment, so very little risk.

Theoretically, there would be a lot of potential buyers if the Canucks decided to rebuild or re-tool. With that extension, I think he is worth more as a trade asset than he was as a pending UFA. It would have been stupid not to sign him at that.

Doubtful they were going to rebuild anyway, so might as well sign the guy.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:11 PM   #33
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
They won't be forced to sell, they'll just move a different brother to the top spot of the team.

Nothing will change. Sadness is all we know.

That said, I am happy we signed this player because he is a good player and he makes things less sad.
Luigi gave us the bad son

I would take anyone else in the family
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:29 PM   #34
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Luigi gave us the bad son

I would take anyone else in the family
So Fredo is running the 'Nucks? I suppose eventually he'll go fishing a Michael will take over
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:07 PM   #35
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The Canucks organization is just weird to me. I mean, I guess we know they aren't rebuilding.

To me, they would have had a great opportunity to bring in big assets of the backs of Kuzmenko, Horvat, Schenn this season - then take this summer off (no free agent signings), trade off Boeser and then Myers next season and they'd then been in a pretty good spot (...other than that OEL contract).

The more they maintain, the less things makes sense. They've got a problem brewing with Pettersson by the sounds of things...and if he goes? Enjoy your JT Miller, Quinn Hughes, and OEL core.

Hockey's a business...get rid of all those guys and turn around and ask for XXX$ to watch it?

Seriously bad idea.

Not at all defending the moves of late but this has to be looked at from a business POV and not through the eyes of fans. You need good players to sell tickets,

It sucks but its also a reality.