Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2022, 09:35 AM   #4781
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 09:50 AM   #4782
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Throws some shade at Calgary there, haha... he can say what he wants about number of wrestlers from each city, but the Hart legacy, and the lore it has in wrestling, is simply something that will likely not be matched by anything in Winnipeg. And I mean that in the most respectful way possible.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 11:30 AM   #4783
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Throws some shade at Calgary there, haha... he can say what he wants about number of wrestlers from each city, but the Hart legacy, and the lore it has in wrestling, is simply something that will likely not be matched by anything in Winnipeg. And I mean that in the most respectful way possible.
Keep in mind this is a Winnipeg sports podcast so I don't think he's expecting a lot of people in Calgary to hear it
Old 12-20-2022, 12:17 PM   #4784
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just jealous is all - I want AEW to come to Calgary and do a Dynamite here haha. Infuriating that a wrestling mecca like Calgary isn't getting any televised shows anymore it seems.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2022, 04:26 PM   #4785
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw Alexia Bliss trending on twitter and was intrigued by what they are doing with her and Bray Wyatt in the potential return to her darker character.

She's not the best in the ring...but her character work might be the best in WWE when she's given something to work with.

The producing of the segment last night with the Lily Doll just peaking from behind the couch was fantastic, and she really plays the part well in terms of how her face can change and be so expressive.

They are really doing the long play on this new incarnation of Bray Wyatt and intrigued to see where it goes.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 07:33 PM   #4786
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

this will come off as insanely sexist and nothing real to add, but, i've always thought bliss was unbelievable sexy.
Old 12-20-2022, 11:55 PM   #4787
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Saw Alexia Bliss trending on twitter and was intrigued by what they are doing with her and Bray Wyatt in the potential return to her darker character.

She's not the best in the ring...but her character work might be the best in WWE when she's given something to work with.

The producing of the segment last night with the Lily Doll just peaking from behind the couch was fantastic, and she really plays the part well in terms of how her face can change and be so expressive.

They are really doing the long play on this new incarnation of Bray Wyatt and intrigued to see where it goes.
I've always liked Bliss, yeah she's not the best in the ring, but she understands story telling and psychology better then most. She really paid attention to what Dusty was teaching the kids in NXT when she was there.

Her promo skills are probably on par with a lot of the upper tier talkers, and she's natural at it, and has a ton of charisma.

On top of that, I feel like she works her a$$ off even if its a bad gimmick. Her dark Alexa was pretty fun to watch even when it got ridiculously silly in the end.

I do think that her concussion history has effected her ring work, she's almost tentative in what she does, and it always seems like her timing is a bit I don't know slow.

But I'm glad that they're back to using her and angling her towards maybe a more heelish role. People forget that she was just a natural heel.

Also and it might sound weird, but when you see her fan interactions, she just seems to be a genuinely nice person.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 12:10 PM   #4788
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
this will come off as insanely sexist and nothing real to add, but, i've always thought bliss was unbelievable sexy.

Not sure finding someone attractive is sexist.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 02:00 PM   #4789
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t get AEW booking right now.

I feel like both Death Triangle and The Elite kind of come of looking weak with how that’s been booked.

Wardlow has lost all momentum as a monster IMO and looks weak in this fued with Samoa Joe of all people.

JAS vs Blackpool Combat Club went nowhere, and the whole Garcia storyline in the end was a waste (he should have left JAS and been the one to beat Jericho for the title to build him up)

Honestly the whole roster is mess right now and booking is no better. Almost feel like WWE Trojan horsed them, as all these ex-WWE guys (and the RoH) purchase really killed the momentum and brand that AEW was building IMO

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-29-2022 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:14 PM   #4790
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Honestly the whole roster is mess right now and booking is no better.

It's a mix of WWE circa 2018 pre-covid and 2000 WCW right now. Too many people on the roster and too many people with input on how things are booked. What they've done with Wardlow, after building him up so well, and FTR are a ####ing travesty.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #4791
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wardlow and FTR have really been booked into oblivion. Miro's wife the former Lana came out blistering about how Miro was going to end up back in WWE.
FTR I think Dax came out on a podcast about how great CM Punk was in the back, probably to counter the leaks by the elite to Dave about how poisonous Punk was to AEW.

I love MJF, but as a champion he's not quite as interesting as he was when he was chasing the belt.

Meanwhile Tony comes out lashing against the malcontents. Jericho is picking fights on line with Brian Last, and I seriously want Jericho to go away for a while. Danielson I don't know what's up with his booking.

The whole thing is a mess. The whole roster is bloated. The woman's division, I watched part of that match with Tay and Rudy and a chair spot that was so bad that I had to wonder if it was intentionally bad. But the woman's division is just not good at all.

Their ratings aren't terrific, they've sagged a bit, and they're having trouble selling out buildings that they used to sell out easily.

AEW needs a serious change in direction. they need to slim line the roster.

Old 12-29-2022, 03:30 PM   #4792
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I am an unabashed Jericho lover. He's #2 on my list behind Bret Hart and could easily make an argument for number one. I think he's also another person who is walking proof that Vince McMahon was one of the best filters in wrestling for other people's ideas (Couldn't figure out how to save his own ideas for ####, but c'est la vie). Jericho being left to his own devices with no filter started out alright but now... uhhh... yeah.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-29-2022, 03:52 PM   #4793
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah problem with JAS is that it kind of lost its initial direction and I think that might be more on Tony Kahn than Jericho.

It was supposed to be a WWE sports entertainment parody, and that part was an interesting idea.

But then the ROH deal happened, The Elite got suspended, and Kahn wanted to put the belt on Jericho to try to get a TV deal; and the JAS just became Inner Circle 2.0 and lost the whole “parody” angle.

Biggest problem though is part of that was building to making Daniel Garcia seem like a star…until they just weren’t anymore and he was buried back behind Jericho.
Old 12-29-2022, 04:53 PM   #4794
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I am an unabashed Jericho lover. He's #2 on my list behind Bret Hart and could easily make an argument for number one. I think he's also another person who is walking proof that Vince McMahon was one of the best filters in wrestling for other people's ideas (Couldn't figure out how to save his own ideas for ####, but c'est la vie). Jericho being left to his own devices with no filter started out alright but now... uhhh... yeah.
I was a fan of Jericho, I was a fan of Jericho in WCW, I was a fan of Jericho in WWE. I started as a fan of Jericho in AEW and then I realized that without the Vince filter that he's like a crazed guy writing a manifesto and most of his ideas are kind of stupid. He's a creative guy. But I don't know if he has a great understanding of Ring Psychology anymore.

I'd love to see him go away on a loooooong Fozzy tour, and then come back for a farewell tour.

Old 12-29-2022, 05:14 PM   #4795
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Legitimately worried about starks future after hes stuck in a 5 month jericho feud

Cant remember the last time a Jericho feud has ended well for the other person
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 05:50 PM   #4796
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't think they do, and that was the basis of the online pissing match with Brian Last.

Jericho has always been about Jericho though.

Old 12-30-2022, 08:02 AM   #4797
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I honestly think every wrestling promotion needs to have a strategic plan.

Where are we going? How do we grt there? WWE used to do this really well, work toward the Big 4 PPVs with Wrestlemania weekend being the season finale/premier all in one.

Who are the champions, who's chasing the titles, what other feuds are happening, how does the rest of the roster help progress those storylines?

It keeps you focused and acts as a filter so great ideas that don't fit the plan can have a pinout in then, characters can be consistent, and internal logic can apply.

Otherwise you get a seat of your pants mess that smells like a mess in the seat of your pants.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2022, 11:53 AM   #4798
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I honestly think every wrestling promotion needs to have a strategic plan.

Where are we going? How do we grt there? WWE used to do this really well, work toward the Big 4 PPVs with Wrestlemania weekend being the season finale/premier all in one.

Who are the champions, who's chasing the titles, what other feuds are happening, how does the rest of the roster help progress those storylines?

It keeps you focused and acts as a filter so great ideas that don't fit the plan can have a pinout in then, characters can be consistent, and internal logic can apply.

Otherwise you get a seat of your pants mess that smells like a mess in the seat of your pants.
What made WWE successful during the attitude era, is that they wrote cohesive story lines for weeks or months down the road and kept to it. What killed WCW was that Easy Eric and then Russo were hotshot booking for ratings, they would react to what was going to happen on Raws that were pretaped. Also WCW's hot shot booking happened because of guys like Hogan and Nash and Hall and others who were given the right to refuse or rewrite story lines on the fly. Vince during the attitude era was very much in control of his roster, and what he said went.

WCW to get ratings hotshotted all of their belts until they were meaningless, people got absolutely buried because of the older roster was protective of their spots and didn't care about the companies health until one day the checks just stopped.

I don't know how long term of comprehensive WWE writing is now, under Vince it was pretty horrible in the end, I think HHH is better.

With AEW their booking is just all over the map, and just isn't really strategic. The other thing is that they have so many belts that belts don't matter anymore.

Also I think there was a reason why Vince was pretty insistent on his writers writing promo's for the wrestlers. Because outside of a few like Wyatt, and Rollins and Cena, aren't capable of doing promos' on the fly. They're just not. We see it in AEW where a lot of the workers it seems just go out and go off the cuff and the result is bad promo's and incomprehensible builds.

Even Moxley's promo's are getting boring and repetitive and stale because he writes his own promo's and goes back to the same well over and over again.

Omega is actually really bad at promos. the best guy in the business right now on the mic is MJF.

AEW doesn't have their Dusty Rhodes type of figure. They clearly don't have agents that can get through these guys heads or past their egos.

WWE and HHH seem to have restored the agents role that Vince really had overseen.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:00 PM   #4799
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Legitimately worried about starks future after hes stuck in a 5 month jericho feud

Cant remember the last time a Jericho feud has ended well for the other person

I hadn't even realized that. It actually is quite bleak. MJF?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 12-31-2022, 11:18 AM   #4800
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

AJ Styles broke his ankle at a house show. Bray Wyatt also broke a finger which is why he had it taped up last night.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1609204880819855361
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote