Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #5361
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Why are you so mad over...

*Checks notes*

Top Gun 2???!
I just gave my opinion of the movie in a thread about move opinions. I'm not the one quoting people who liked it and telling them they shouldn't.
It should have been 1 post, 1 opinion and done with.

You fanboys keep quoting me and taking issue that anyone could dare not like the movie, so lets be honest about who's mad here.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 01:57 PM   #5362
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Top Gun Maverick was actually better than I had imagined, I was thinking Fast & Furious level of garbage but it was actually done in a fun, goofy way I didn't mind.

Ad Astra mostly got flack for the moon rover chase scene, overall I liked it.

Everything Everywhere was not nearly as good as I was hoping, underwhelming.
Its a film that knew what it wanted to be, what it was about and didnt try to pretend to be anything other than what it was.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:08 PM   #5363
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I've been roasted for liking (loving?) this movie but I'm glad someone else did too. There seems to be like 17 of us.

I think this movie suffered from inaccurate marketing where the trailers/ads made it seem like Space Wars starring Brad Pitt and it was anything but.

It was a good movie with an ultimately positive message.
Make it 18.

Admittedly, I went in with pretty low expectations, none the less..
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #5364
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

4K Remaster of Planes, Trains and Automobiles to Be Released with Hour of Deleted Scenes

https://consequence.net/2022/11/plan...eleted-scenes/

This made my day.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #5365
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
4K Remaster of Planes, Trains and Automobiles to Be Released with Hour of Deleted Scenes

This made my day.
Holy crap....that sounds fantastic!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:44 PM   #5366
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
I've been roasted for liking (loving?) this movie but I'm glad someone else did too. There seems to be like 17 of us.

I think this movie suffered from inaccurate marketing where the trailers/ads made it seem like Space Wars starring Brad Pitt and it was anything but.

It was a good movie with an ultimately positive message.

Saw some of Ad Astra an a plane. Fell asleep a few times… I don’t usually sleep on planes but this was also a 9hr flight, so can’t say if it was the movie or fatigue. Made it to the point where he got to the moon then I passed out. Woke up to a moon buggy battle, fell asleep again, then woke up to murder monkeys, fell asleep again, then woke up to droopy Tommy Lee Jones… not in a rush to watch again and see what I missed.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:25 AM   #5367
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I've been watching a bunch of 80s and 90s thrillers as part of the With Gourley and Rust podcast. The biggest takeaway is how 'of their time' these types of movies were.

Fatal Attraction (1987): 3.5/5. Still a really effective thriller that's also well acted (apparently that's a hard combo to find based on the rest of the movies so far).

Pacific Heights (1990): 1.5/5. Felt like it was building towards something good but fell completely flat. A tenant who tricked his way into a swanky San Francisco suite and refuses to leave, escalating and tormenting the landlords, and it turns out was just stealing the light fixtures basically...

Sleeping with the Enemy: 3/5. Solid but not spectacular. Incredible water fountain drinking with a moustache action.

The Hand That Rocks the Cradle (1992): 3.5/5. Kind of a ridiculous "a-ha!" moment that escalates things and kicks off the denouement, but overall it was genuinely unsettling.

Raising Cain (1992): 2.5/5. Honestly worth it just for John Lithgow ridiculousness. The movie is completely bonkers and while it's bad, it's also very entertaining.

Still to come are Consenting Adults (1992), Sliver (1993), and Fear (1996).
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 06:36 AM   #5368
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Fear being pretty good.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 06:44 AM   #5369
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I rewatched Michael Clayton last night and it holds up. I wish Tony Gilroy made more movies, although Andor is pretty great.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:12 AM   #5370
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I finally watched Top Gun Maverick last weekend. Absolutely RAGING that they didn't use the F-35.

They kept going on and on about being outclassed in their F-18's by the 5th Generation Fighter of the enemy. Yet you left your newest asset that is 5th Gen on the carrier deck? IDIOTS.

I loved it, the flight sequences were fantastic and it checked off all the boxes I wanted for a Top Gun sequel.
It was pretty simple, the F-35 does not have a dual version. They wanted live shots with actors in the cockpits and that was all done with dual F-18's.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:35 AM   #5371
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part of Consenting Adults is that the whole plot hinges on adults who are in fact non-consenting.

I enjoyed Sliver, thought it's pretty unbelievable at times but it's a fun ride.

I'd also recommend Basic Instinct, Body Heat, Body Double, Unfaithful, Single White Female, Femme Fatale and No Way Out
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 11-17-2022, 08:36 AM   #5372
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
It was pretty simple, the F-35 does not have a dual version. They wanted live shots with actors in the cockpits and that was all done with dual F-18's.
I would have hoped my avgeek cred here would have carried my post through (fully aware of the lack of a two seat F-35). We did get a couple of shots on the carrier of some F-35's, that was cool.

They could have mentioned wanting to use them to support Maverick's team, and then give us another throwback to the original that the catapults broke down before they could launch them after the 18's launched.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 08:50 AM   #5373
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would have hoped my avgeek cred here would have carried my post through (fully aware of the lack of a two seat F-35). We did get a couple of shots on the carrier of some F-35's, that was cool.

They could have mentioned wanting to use them to support Maverick's team, and then give us another throwback to the original that the catapults broke down before they could launch them after the 18's launched.
They could have gone with the more realistic angle and used one of the many, many failures of the F-35 and say they are grounded due to a technical issue. F-18 saves the day!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 09:18 AM   #5374
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
The best part of Consenting Adults is that the whole plot hinges on adults who are in fact non-consenting.

I enjoyed Sliver, thought it's pretty unbelievable at times but it's a fun ride.

I'd also recommend Basic Instinct, Body Heat, Body Double, Unfaithful, Single White Female, Femme Fatale and No Way Out
Basic Instinct and No Way Out are both excellent.

I also like Disclosure with Michael Douglas. He had a string of adult thriller/dramas in the 90s that I enjoyed.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 09:39 AM   #5375
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I watched Everything Everywhere All at Once this weekend and went in with high hopes after seeing how well it was reviewed.

I can't believe how much I hated it.

Far too long, many scenes just kept on going, and the humour just felt flat and childish to me. I also felt that the message just wasn't very original either.

The whole movie just felt like an inconsequential waste of time. I was bored after 30 minutes.

3/10
I thought it was fine, liked it more than you and found it definitely entertaining but I had such high expectations based on the initial reviews and everything I heard online. I thought it was a 7/10. Wouldn't recommend it to most people.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #5376
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

If folks are interested coming out this weekend I guested on a podcast talking about 90s Noir and I basically gave the abstract of what would be my thesis Basic Instinct. We also chatted Devil in the Blue Dress and Out of Sight.

earlier this year I jointed the same folk talking about Camp.

Camp (Barbarella, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and Mama Mia: Here We Go Again
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 11:51 AM   #5377
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
If folks are interested coming out this weekend I guested on a podcast talking about 90s Noir and I basically gave the abstract of what would be my thesis Basic Instinct. We also chatted Devil in the Blue Dress and Out of Sight.

earlier this year I jointed the same folk talking about Camp.

Camp (Barbarella, Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, and Mama Mia: Here We Go Again
I'm always looking for new podcast to listen to I'll check it out!
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 01:16 PM   #5378
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I'm always looking for new podcast to listen to I'll check it out!
They're doing a Noir Series for November. The 40s and then the 80s one are out now!
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:31 PM   #5379
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Lol I totally didn't catch who was posting.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 09:39 PM   #5380
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

This made my day.
"Back in 2020, news broke that Will Smith and Kevin Hart were teaming up for a modern update of Planes, Trains and Automobiles. Hart then confirmed the remake was in “deep development” during a 2021 interview with Collider."
Ugh, buzz off Hollywood and leave it alone.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote