Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-24-2023, 06:59 PM   #1181
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Ornstein saying Danjuma to spurs on loan is happening

Pretty good scoring record as a left winger before this season, at virrareal and bournemouth

Basically replacing lucas as a wide forward
I think it’s done pending his Spurs medical. I say Spurs medical because he had already done one with Everton and it was all supposedly done. He refused to sign his FA paperwork before training with them and Spurs had swooped in.

Everton must absolutely hate us at this point.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 10:40 PM   #1182
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do feel bad for them, but on the other hand, lampard is the one who recruited him and he got sacked, they have no manager, it's not an ideal situation to sign up for, so I can understand his decision
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:43 PM   #1183
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Porro is almost done too

Going to end up paying his release clause anyway, have done that a month ago and had him play in some very important games
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 09:55 AM   #1184
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Guardian doing their top 100 players list this week

https://www.theguardian.com/football...box=1674555943

Full list will be done by friday, 100 to 71 today

They have a huge amount of people voting so I usually find it's a pretty good list, although looking at last year mason mount at 27.... yikes
Building off of the comments in the International Club thread, it's telling seeing Neuer at 91st, from the best keeper not just a few years ago.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 03:00 PM   #1185
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

United-Newcastle in the Caribou final all but confirmed after the first leg.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:21 PM   #1186
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Building off of the comments in the International Club thread, it's telling seeing Neuer at 91st, from the best keeper not just a few years ago.
Agreed, so much of what made him great was he kinda changed the sweeper keeper position, I remember bayern games where he was playing balls 20 yards out of the box

He was never a great shot stopper, good not great, so he aged faster than most goalies
The Following User Says Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 08:32 PM   #1187
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed, so much of what made him great was he kinda changed the sweeper keeper position, I remember bayern games where he was playing balls 20 yards out of the box

He was never a great shot stopper, good not great, so he aged faster than most goalies
He was such an aggressive keeper too. Completely owned his box, whether from crosses or chips (ala the better Schmeichel), and physically dominated like no other with his fearlessness (lol Higuain).
Old 01-25-2023, 09:26 PM   #1188
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He was such an aggressive keeper too. Completely owned his box, whether from crosses or chips (ala the better Schmeichel), and physically dominated like no other with his fearlessness (lol Higuain).
He revolutionized the goalkeeping position and what a keeper could bring to the team, but he's getting old, getting injured and just generally getting to the end of his career.

Easily my favourite GK when he was in his prime.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 12:13 PM   #1189
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

was a bit worried about Boehly since he didn't sign anybody for a few days, but looks like he's back on track.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1619047284372799488
Old 01-27-2023, 02:31 PM   #1190
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'd like us all to recall United's summer;
Pogba (29)
Lingard (29)
Pereira (26)
Henderson (25)
Cavani (35)
Mata (34)
Matic (33)
Telles (29)
Bailly (28)
All left for £0, loan or peanuts... Almost an entire team

Casemiro (30)
Martinez (24)
Malacia (22)
Eriksen (30)free
Come in..

Why do I share this, well as highlighted with United's loss to Arsenal, and the lack of f***ing depth, well United will play a record 10 games in 30 days. No EUROPEAN club has played this many in a 30 day frame, in 25 f***ing years. Fergie would've tore the FA a new one. I'm getting ready to watch games with the full f***ing Youth squad across in play. Stupid f***ing Glaziers
Old 01-27-2023, 02:42 PM   #1191
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't see the issue with the squad management. You've listed 9 outgoing players, but United have missed none of them ... plus if you list Henderson outgoing, you at least have to add Dubravka/Butland incoming. Yeah, depth is poor, but we'd say that with those 9 players too. So now, it's an opportunity for youth players to sink or swim. They play Reading in the FA Cup tomorrow, then Nottingham in a dead rubber in the Caribou ... prime chance to give minutes to young players.

now the scheduling thing is a different issue. The second leg in the Caribou has always been a terrible idea, plus there's this whole Queen kerfuffle which has led to extra games ... in a season with a ####ing dumb WC right in the middle. As for the EL extra games, that's on United themselves. Just don't lose to Sociedad at home and avoid those Barcelona matches.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:51 PM   #1192
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So I'd like us all to recall United's summer;
Pogba (29)
Lingard (29)
Pereira (26)
Henderson (25)
Cavani (35)
Mata (34)
Matic (33)
Telles (29)
Bailly (28)
All left for £0, loan or peanuts... Almost an entire team

Casemiro (30)
Martinez (24)
Malacia (22)
Eriksen (30)free
Come in..

Why do I share this, well as highlighted with United's loss to Arsenal, and the lack of f***ing depth, well United will play a record 10 games in 30 days. No EUROPEAN club has played this many in a 30 day frame, in 25 f***ing years. Fergie would've tore the FA a new one. I'm getting ready to watch games with the full f***ing Youth squad across in play. Stupid f***ing Glaziers
I've complained about our fixtures before and some posters basically say to suck it up. We had four games a week to start last season, which is absolutely ridiculous. To me, the FA and the overall organizing bodies are insane to have these demands put on the players. It all comes down to greed and more games means more revenue though.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 02:55 PM   #1193
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I've complained about our fixtures before and some posters basically say to suck it up. We had four games a week to start last season, which is absolutely ridiculous. To me, the FA and the overall organizing bodies are insane to have these demands put on the players. It all comes down to greed and more games means more revenue though.
Doubt the boards of the teams are complaining either - it's more money in their pockets too.

It's probably just the players and managers that have an issue with it - and really for the managers they are the ones that need to rotate the squad for it.

Even with all the fixtures you have guys like Spence for Tottenham who have played 41 minutes this year.

That said 10 games in 30 days is quite ridiculous.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2023, 03:18 PM   #1194
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Know its fa cup but that was most lifeless I've seen arsenal all season, especially in 2nd half

Pretty much full team played as well
Old 01-27-2023, 03:20 PM   #1195
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 in 30 is nuts

I genuinely dont get the disdain the FA has for it's own clubs, Italian and Spanish federation move games all the time for their teams

Italian teams get Friday games before european weeks so they have more time to prepare
Old 01-27-2023, 03:22 PM   #1196
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I don't see the issue with the squad management. You've listed 9 outgoing players, but United have missed none of them ... plus if you list Henderson outgoing, you at least have to add Dubravka/Butland incoming. Yeah, depth is poor, but we'd say that with those 9 players too. So now, it's an opportunity for youth players to sink or swim. They play Reading in the FA Cup tomorrow, then Nottingham in a dead rubber in the Caribou ... prime chance to give minutes to young players.

now the scheduling thing is a different issue. The second leg in the Caribou has always been a terrible idea, plus there's this whole Queen kerfuffle which has led to extra games ... in a season with a ####ing dumb WC right in the middle. As for the EL extra games, that's on United themselves. Just don't lose to Sociedad at home and avoid those Barcelona matches.

I think you misunderstood my post. I'm not asking for any of them back.

It's the need for at least another proper Prem level central midfielder; as United exited Pogba, Pereira, Mata, + the failed development of Garner. While they brought in two world beaters, McFred as a fallback may work against League 1's and Championship clubs, but not within the Prem. They're gonna mile out Eriksen and his bum heart at this rate, and should've had a contingency for the failed FdJ pursuit. I just don't see it in Hannibal nor Iqbal.
Old 01-27-2023, 03:25 PM   #1197
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
10 in 30 is nuts

I genuinely dont get the disdain the FA has for it's own clubs, Italian and Spanish federation move games all the time for their teams

Italian teams get Friday games before european weeks so they have more time to prepare
Honestly it's probably the TV contracts in England that keep the games on the weekends.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:31 PM   #1198
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

nah I get it, but they've still invested ~200m net last summer. We can talk about whether they should have invested the Antony money differently (especially since he has been pretty underwhelming for the most part), but then we'd all clamor for a right winger. It was always going to take time to rebuild this, especially because you have to make up for years and years of bad squad management. We need a striker, we need a midfielder, we need squad depth, and that after said 200m net investment last summer (and most of those transfers actually killing it).

and again, those upcoming two games is where you rest Eriksen and so on. Fred has actually been vastly improved under ten Hag, he can surely manage Reading and Nottingham. If there's a youngster in midfield getting minutes, it'll probably be Kobbie Mainoo, who has made the bench a few times already ... Hannibal is out on loan at Birmingham.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:57 PM   #1199
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
nah I get it, but they've still invested ~200m net last summer.
They exited twice as much salary as they brought in, and then halved that further with CR7's Dec exit, so a net of £150m

Quote:
We can talk about whether they should have invested the Antony money differently (especially since he has been pretty underwhelming for the most part), but then we'd all clamor for a right winger. It was always going to take time to rebuild this, especially because you have to make up for years and years of bad squad management. We need a striker, we need a midfielder, we need squad depth, and that after said 200m net investment last summer (and most of those transfers actually killing it).

and again, those upcoming two games is where you rest Eriksen and so on. Fred has actually been vastly improved under ten Hag, he can surely manage Reading and Nottingham. If there's a youngster in midfield getting minutes, it'll probably be Kobbie Mainoo, who has made the bench a few times already ... Hannibal is out on loan at Birmingham.
I'm not too bothered over Antony, with Sancho on-deck. Hopefully on Mainoo in a 2-3 years, he's still so young.
Old 01-27-2023, 06:41 PM   #1200
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly it's probably the TV contracts in England that keep the games on the weekends.
It definitely is, but its power given to them to do so

The one complaint klopp had in his season of whinging that he was right about was having to do Sunday-Tuesday so a game could be on sky Sunday, I believe they were playing Tuesday against napoli whose own game was moved to Friday to give them more time