Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2022, 06:13 PM   #741
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The new season is upon us. Curious to hear how everything has gone as far as evals and such. My son is half way through evals (u18) and should have his team on Monday. BV had a lot of players get cut from Buffs that played previously, so we are looking pretty good.
Flamesfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:28 AM   #742
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's been a long process. My son was cut from Royals on the last day, then started community evals immediately. In all it was a month of tryouts.

He's in Tier 1 again and will have his team today. It should be a great group.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:57 AM   #743
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh that's pretty devastating, hope he's handling it ok

Something similar happened to me when I was 16. Last cut, never got called up once. Every 16 year old on that team got drafted to major junior.

The worst part was that team won the national championship. When I made the team the last year we lost in the final of the national championship.

Fun times.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #744
hixxes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He took it quite hard but as expected has bounced back and is quite excited for the season.

Tier 1 for a second season won't be the worst for him. He was middle to lower of the pack last year so hopefully he has a great season as a big dog this year.
To be shot down in Flames!

hixxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:14 AM   #745
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

My boy has decided to play Rec again.

He is on a team with 3 buddies.

It's perfect, beer league for kids.

Allows him to play hockey (which he likes), while train for other sports (which he loves).

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:15 AM   #746
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan74 View Post
The new season is upon us. Curious to hear how everything has gone as far as evals and such. My son is half way through evals (u18) and should have his team on Monday. BV had a lot of players get cut from Buffs that played previously, so we are looking pretty good.
I was surprised at a lot of the kids that made Midget Minor for the Buffs last year from BV, really surprised.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #747
Knut

Exp:

Had three practices with my U9 tier 2 team already. The Knights evaluations have changed up this year for U11 and up. Attack Sports is out helping as a third party and then the kids are put into "Battalions" for coaches to select from. Should finally have a team for my kid in U13 by tomorrow.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 01:59 PM   #748
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hixxes View Post
It's been a long process. My son was cut from Royals on the last day, then started community evals immediately. In all it was a month of tryouts.

He's in Tier 1 again and will have his team today. It should be a great group.
my guy was late (REALLY late) last cut from quadrant 2nd year of what I guess is now u14, rough at the time, but lots of puck touches that year in 'bantam1' (more than the kids who made quadrant that were also on the bubble that he beat out the next year), made it following year at U15 and then through U17...now finishing his last year of u21- its hard to believe how quickly it flies by so enjoy it everyone and chin up to your son, I know we felt at the time its a club that maybe we'd never crack but in the end more often than not (I'm not denying politics exists) players get rewarded
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2022, 05:25 PM   #749
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I was surprised at a lot of the kids that made Midget Minor for the Buffs last year from BV, really surprised.
The ‘07 boys are really strong this year and it was going to tough for some of those ‘06’s to make it. The U18 div 1 in contact and non contact are going to be really strong. My son is going Non, so I’m hoping that he make div 1 NBC.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #750
goaliemom
Draft Pick

My son made u15 AA with a quadrant team. Man, that was a very stressful process for what is turning out to be just ok hockey. The season is young though. Goalies will see lots of rubber so I suppose that’s what they want!
goaliemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 08:20 PM   #751
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Didnt know where else to drop this but

Holy crap!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1612275663926628353
Old 03-01-2023, 06:13 PM   #752
Flamesfan74
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Good luck to everyone in Cities. My son’s team managed to finish 2nd in the their Div and got a first round bye.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:04 AM   #753
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Hey wanted to bump this to see if anyone has had experience with this. The issue is definitely framed by my circumstance so it may not be as relevant for you guys...

We finally started our boys in youth hockey in the fall. They are 2014 and 2016 kids. As my location states, we are in Tulsa Oklahoma. For anyone that sees me post in the OT forum, you will probably remember that I often chime in and confirm the worst of the stereotypes about 'murica.

So with hockey, things are overall going well and even though our program is small and our million person metro area has only a single sheet of ice to go around, the teams and coaches are pretty solid for a small non traditional market. The problem I have though, and hopefully what ties my meandering lead-in together, is that the whole hockey program is overtly religious. Is that common in youth hockey up there? The core of this hockey community really seems to revolve around a lot of religious homeschooled families.

As a non religious person this has been a huge turn off for me. Let me give you an example of an email I got today:

Quote:
Hey Everyone,

Jump on zoom and listen in to "Behind the Scenes" (Gary Steffes) and Garry Unger, Former NHL Iron Man and Captain of the St Louis Blues TONIGHT at 7:00pm.

1. Here is the Zoom link for tonight's call with Garry Unger. Must Register before time for the call.
[info redacted]

2. Why do we do these story nights?
Revelation 12:11 says, “And they overcame by the blood of the Lamb (Jesus) and the word of their testimony.”

Stories are powerful. They strengthen us to overcome the challenges we face. I pray tonight encourages you as a competitor for Christ!
I'm not sure what I am looking for in responses? I just feel frustrated that I have to have religion pushed on me to be involved in hockey. Any advice on how to navigate this? This is the only show in town, so if I want my kids playing hockey, this is my group.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 11:10 AM   #754
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Hey wanted to bump this to see if anyone has had experience with this. The issue is definitely framed by my circumstance so it may not be as relevant for you guys...

We finally started our boys in youth hockey in the fall. They are 2014 and 2016 kids. As my location states, we are in Tulsa Oklahoma. For anyone that sees me post in the OT forum, you will probably remember that I often chime in and confirm the worst of the stereotypes about 'murica.

So with hockey, things are overall going well and even though our program is small and our million person metro area has only a single sheet of ice to go around, the teams and coaches are pretty solid for a small non traditional market. The problem I have though, and hopefully what ties my meandering lead-in together, is that the whole hockey program is overtly religious. Is that common in youth hockey up there? The core of this hockey community really seems to revolve around a lot of religious homeschooled families.

As a non religious person this has been a huge turn off for me. Let me give you an example of an email I got today:

I'm not sure what I am looking for in responses? I just feel frustrated that I have to have religion pushed on me to be involved in hockey. Any advice on how to navigate this? This is the only show in town, so if I want my kids playing hockey, this is my group.
Sorry dude, I think this is just you based on your location. While there might be some programs based around faith, 99% of the groups are just there to play hocky.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 11:19 AM   #755
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

My son played one basketball season with Upward sports, and it was pretty icky. I went into blind just because someone recommended it for young ages. Prayers before game and at half time where I was trying not to smirk. I don't think I could have taken it for more than one season. He didn't really care for the sport much, and there were lots of other basketball options if he chose to play.

I kind of bit my tongue and held my nose for a couple things like that over the years like camps their friends were going to and also found boy scouts to be sneakily religious too. All that turned my kids against religion though, and by the time they were in their early teens, they were not interested in going to anything with religious ties.

I'm guessing where you are, there probably aren't a whole lot of options for hockey. If it's run by a church, they're probably the only org wanting to fund it.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 11:33 AM   #756
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Definitely never seen any religious things in the hundreds of camps programs we've done up here. Have heard people say Jesus F'in Christ pass the puck a few times though. Hahah.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fotze2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 01:11 PM   #757
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

So I think my kids competitive hockey careers are over before they even started due to cost. My 2016 could play with the 8u 'enhancement' team which is just the unofficial travel team since USA Hockey is not big on actual competitive teams at that age. But the cost is $2,000 not including travel or jerseys. My 2014 could play on the A/AA 10u competitive teams depending on how he does but that comes at a whopping $5,000 for the season not including travel or jerseys.

I just can't stomach spending 7 grand on hockey. Like we are fortunate enough we could spend that much if we were invested in the sport, but I just don't see it as a good choice. It really sucks as I would love to see them get challenged and grow in the competitive environment. From what I have read, our fees seem pretty high compared to other places. How do they sound to you guys? (considering the USD conversion)
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 01:20 PM   #758
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Club hockey is expensive in the US no doubt. We are in New Brunswick but have a bunch of friends in New England from my son doing spring hockey down there when he was younger. To me it sounds about right.

My son is older and we were $3700 in just team fees for U15 AAA this past winter, U13 AAA was about $2200, u11 AA was $900. he is moving up to U18 this year and expect it to be in the 5K range.

Keep in mind that is just team fees and not extra skills, travel, etc. I shudder at the thought of what we actually spend on hockey in the run of the year.

I wouldn't trade any of it for the world though. We have all made some great friends and memories over the years. This past weekend my son and i went to Montreal for a tournament just the two of us and although the team wasn't what were expecting we had an absolutely awesome weekend together and i know those are going to get fewer and fewer.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TimSJ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2023, 04:00 PM   #759
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
So I think my kids competitive hockey careers are over before they even started due to cost. My 2016 could play with the 8u 'enhancement' team which is just the unofficial travel team since USA Hockey is not big on actual competitive teams at that age. But the cost is $2,000 not including travel or jerseys. My 2014 could play on the A/AA 10u competitive teams depending on how he does but that comes at a whopping $5,000 for the season not including travel or jerseys.

I just can't stomach spending 7 grand on hockey. Like we are fortunate enough we could spend that much if we were invested in the sport, but I just don't see it as a good choice. It really sucks as I would love to see them get challenged and grow in the competitive environment. From what I have read, our fees seem pretty high compared to other places. How do they sound to you guys? (considering the USD conversion)
Having gone through club hockey in two states, those fees seem really high. I also haven’t experienced the strong religion involvement you have either.

Youth sports are huge in the US. But having both a son and daughter be really into athletics, in retrospect the club hockey experience was less fulfilling than competitive school athletics. Really comes down to the parents in some cases and their level of zealousness in their child’s play in club sports that left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2023, 01:43 PM   #760
Knut

Exp:

My kid chose to play Goalie in U11. The problem is that he is passionate about it. Practices all the time. Talks about it all the time and watches goalie videos instead of videos of adults playing kids games. He is also naturally very good at it.

Why is this a problem? Money and time commitments are coming. We told our kids that they have to show a sustained passion for something before we invest all the time and money into it. So many a miserable kid is being funded by parents that doesnt want to actually be doing this stuff.

We got off easy with my oldest. He liked the sport but did not really like camps and really just enjoyed playing and being at the rink with friends.

To be honest though. It is great to see our son latch onto something so passionately.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote