Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #721
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
MLB has had more diversity in champions them any sport in the past 20 years

But hey , don’t let stats get in the way of emotional statements

Salary caps haven’t proven to actually impact the ability to win a championship.
Ha what?

8 out of the 10 teams in the playoffs this year are in the top 13 for payrolls. With the Giants just outside of that top 13 after consistently being a top 8 spender for the last 2 decades.

In the last 25 years 4 teams make up 14 of the 25 titles. All of whom are consistently at the top in terms of payroll spending. Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Cardinals.

In that same 25 years only 2 teams have been average or below average in spending. KC in 2015 and Florida in 2003. Even Florida's first WS title in 97 they were 7th in payroll.

After KC's and Florida's titles they both blew up their rosters because of financial constraints and haven't had a sniff of success since.

That's 23 of the past 25 title winners with Payrolls firmly in the top 10.

But stats right?
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 09:43 AM   #722
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^How is it unfair? Not like it's a bait and switch where they sell you a league with a salary cap and then you buy tickets and they change it to a free for all. If you're an A's or Rays fan you know you will often be playing teams with a $100 million payroll advantage.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #723
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Play-wise, sure. Person-wise, hell no. The guy is a conceited dbag, rumored to be at the centre of the trash can controversy. I can do without him just on the way he's handled it. Others have issued a no-comment, he's be an ass about the whole thing.
Heh, didn't know that.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 01:13 PM   #724
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Ha what?

8 out of the 10 teams in the playoffs this year are in the top 13 for payrolls. With the Giants just outside of that top 13 after consistently being a top 8 spender for the last 2 decades.

In the last 25 years 4 teams make up 14 of the 25 titles. All of whom are consistently at the top in terms of payroll spending. Yankees, Red Sox, Giants, Cardinals.

In that same 25 years only 2 teams have been average or below average in spending. KC in 2015 and Florida in 2003. Even Florida's first WS title in 97 they were 7th in payroll.

After KC's and Florida's titles they both blew up their rosters because of financial constraints and haven't had a sniff of success since.

That's 23 of the past 25 title winners with Payrolls firmly in the top 10.

But stats right?
I said diversity in champions over the past 20 years. And your rebuttle was that teams that dont spend dont win championships.

I didnt say anything about spending $$ or making the playoffs.

Usually the best teams will have the highest payrolls in baseball. When the Jays are good they are in the top half. When teams are rebuilding, big surprise, they are usually in the bottom half.

Theres a few teams that don't spend ever (And yet constantly outperform in regular season most of the teams spending)

But it doesnt mean it is the same teams every year, or that a few teams dominate winning the world series.

In the past 20 years baseball has had 14 different champions. That's half the league (EDIT- I counted since 2000 for each league so actually 22 seasons)

In the past 20 years NBA has had 10

In the past 20 years NHL has had 12

In the past 20 years NFL has had 12

So, just like I said, MLB has had to most championship diversity.

So while a salary cap is championed at bringing parity, it really has not had a correlation across any sport to championship diversity.

Last edited by Jason14h; 10-16-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Jason14h is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:45 PM   #725
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Heh, didn't know that.

To add some salt in the wound, yesterday when asked if he would re sign with Houston, this was his response from an article. Keep in mind they're obviously still in the playoffs.

"'Take it or leave it, this is what we’ve got,'" Correa told NBC Sports regarding the Astros' previous offer to him. "And now my value has gone up. If they didn’t want to meet my price in spring training, now that I led the league in WAR at 7.2 and I’m in the playoffs helping the team, I don’t know if they’ll meet my price now."

When asked about the possibility of joining the Mets or Yankees this offseason, Correa said he loves the East Coast. However, he was coy about which team he'd preferably join if the opportunity presented itself.

Although Correa admitted he likes pinstripes, he didn't say what color pinstripes.

"I didn't say dark blue or blue and orange," Correa said in Spanish during an interview on the La Garata podcast. He added, "whichever blue" could work.

In his discussion with NBC Sports, Correa also made a case as to why he deserves a 10-year deal, which has become the norm length of years when team's distribute long-term contracts.

"A lot of people don’t believe in 10-year contracts and in long-term deals and all that," Correa said. "But when you look at most of the 10-year contracts they’ve been giving out, the long-term deals, they’re players that are 31, 30, 32. I’m going to be 27 on my first year. I’m young, I’m healthy, and I perform. So we’ll see what happens."
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 02:22 PM   #726
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
To add some salt in the wound, yesterday when asked if he would re sign with Houston, this was his response from an article. Keep in mind they're obviously still in the playoffs.

"'Take it or leave it, this is what we’ve got,'" Correa told NBC Sports regarding the Astros' previous offer to him. "And now my value has gone up. If they didn’t want to meet my price in spring training, now that I led the league in WAR at 7.2 and I’m in the playoffs helping the team, I don’t know if they’ll meet my price now."

When asked about the possibility of joining the Mets or Yankees this offseason, Correa said he loves the East Coast. However, he was coy about which team he'd preferably join if the opportunity presented itself.

Although Correa admitted he likes pinstripes, he didn't say what color pinstripes.

"I didn't say dark blue or blue and orange," Correa said in Spanish during an interview on the La Garata podcast. He added, "whichever blue" could work.

In his discussion with NBC Sports, Correa also made a case as to why he deserves a 10-year deal, which has become the norm length of years when team's distribute long-term contracts.

"A lot of people don’t believe in 10-year contracts and in long-term deals and all that," Correa said. "But when you look at most of the 10-year contracts they’ve been giving out, the long-term deals, they’re players that are 31, 30, 32. I’m going to be 27 on my first year. I’m young, I’m healthy, and I perform. So we’ll see what happens."
I'm not sure what the Yankees payroll situation is like, but sure sounds like he'll be a Yankee.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #727
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I'm not sure what the Yankees payroll situation is like, but sure sounds like he'll be a Yankee.
Well Judge, Gallo, Sanchez are all arb 3. If they sign correa they will likely be over the luxury tax by ten million minimum. Plus they will need to sign other free agents too.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2021, 02:39 PM   #728
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Watching this 1st inning, now I know why baseball takes long.

ETA: Grand Slam!

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:28 PM   #729
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yikes, Boston has 8 runs already with only 2 outs in the 2nd.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:40 PM   #730
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Well over an hour to complete 2 innings.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:43 PM   #731
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Game 1 will be a bullpen game for the Dodgers.
Old 10-16-2021, 09:14 PM   #732
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Once Albies stole 2nd, they should have walked Riley.

Old 10-17-2021, 09:07 PM   #733
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Wow consecutive plays at the plate!

Old 10-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #734
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Braves acquired Eddie Rosario on the trade deadline for Pablo Sandoval, who was released one hour later lol

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 06:55 PM   #735
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Another grand slam! The Red Sox lineup hits so deep. When JD Martinez is hitting sixth in your lineup...

Old 10-18-2021, 06:57 PM   #736
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Really hard for me to not feel good seeing the Astros get destroyed.

Kike Hernandez is basically unstoppable.
Old 10-18-2021, 06:59 PM   #737
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know, cheering for M#######s is basically a non-starter for me. Hopefully the Astros can dig deep in that bag of cheating tricks to pull this series out.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:01 PM   #738
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I don't know, cheering for M#######s is basically a non-starter for me. Hopefully the Astros can dig deep in that bag of cheating tricks to pull this series out.
Both are incredibly unpalatable options.

On one hand Boston fans deserve nothing but pain and misery.
On the other hand I hate the Astros.
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2021, 07:25 PM   #739
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Everything coming up Red Sox right now.

When Arroyo is hitting dingers you know things are going well.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:31 PM   #740
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't bring myself to watch this series but holy moly. What the Red Sox are doing to an undermanned Astros rotation is crazy.

My only hope is for the both AL teams to get caught cheating(again) and have to forfeit their seasons and the winner of the NLCS will get the World Series by default.
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote