Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:
wranglers [GDT] Heat vs Barons - April 11th @ 8pm (MST) and April 13th @ 2pm (MST)

Abbotsford Heat (39-25-5-2) vs Oklahoma City Barons (Edmonton Oilers) (33-27-2-9)

Friday April 11th @ 8pm MST
Sunday April 13th @ 2pm MST - **ON SPORTSNET360**

The Battle of Baby Alberta will be on Sportsnet 360 on Sunday!

Notes:
  • Final 2 games in a 8 game series
  • Heat lead the season series 4-2, outscoring the Barons 20-16
  • A Heat win in either game could mathematically eliminate the Barons from the playoffs

Standings:
  • Have clinched a playoff spot
  • 2nd in the West Division (8 points ahead of the Barons and Checkers)
  • 5th in the Western Conference (5 points behind 4th place Wolves, 2 points ahead of the 6th place Admirals)
  • 4th in the AHL on the PP - 22.1% (No change from last week)
  • 26th in the AHL on the PK - 79.4% (No change from last week)

Roster Notes
  • ADD: Gordan (signed to ATO)
  • DEL: None
  • On Flames Roster – Hanowski, Granlund (IR), Wotherspoon (IR - Out for Season) , MacDonald, Breen, Billins
  • Klimchuk had a minor injury, sat out last weekend but is expected to make his debut this weekend

Point Streaks and Notables:
  • Reinhart - 2g, 9a in 7 games
  • Knight - 4g in 2 games
  • Smith - 2g, 8a in 10 games
  • Street - 5g, 5a in 9 games
  • Baertschi - 8g, 10a in 12 games
  • SOB - 2g, 1a in 4 games
  • Olson - 4g in 4 games

Injuries:
  • Michael Ferland (Knee) – Out for Season
  • Tyler Wotherspoon (Shoulder) - Out for Season
  • Patrick Sieloff (Infection) – Unknown
  • Trevor Gillies (Upper Body) – Unknown
  • Morgan Klimchuk (Unknown) - Probable

Preview from Abbotsford Heat Website: http://www.abbotsfordheat.com/news/r...article_id=848

Listen Live : http://www.teamradio.ca/abbotsford-heat/

Watch (Sunday only) on Sportsnet 360 : http://www.sportsnet.ca/sportsnet-360

Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/AHLHeatInGame
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
TheDebaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

MORGAN KLIMCHUK

My body is ready.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

One note I forgot to include as it's OKC related not Heat related: Darnell Nurse (Edmonton's 7th overall pick in 2013) was eliminated from the OHL playoffs and assigned to OKC. He is flying directly to Abbotsford to meet the team and expected to make his AHL debut as well this weekend wearing #17.

It will be OKC/Edmonton's first chance to see him playing with the big boys.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
A Heat win in either game could mathematically eliminate the Barons from the playoffs
The Barons are sitting tied for 7th/8th, they could lose both and not be eliminated if Rochester, Rockford and Charlotte lose too.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:29 PM   #5
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's close because between 7th and 12th, it's only 6 points and some teams playing each other. Charlotte is in the worst position with 73 games played.

Also, I was looking at that and the schedule of the teams:

Rochester faces Toronto, Hamilton and Lake Erie this weekend. They just beat Toronto last night and have the season series tied 4-4. Rochester leads Hamilton in the season series 5-2. Lake Erie leads their season series 4-5. Those games could go anyway, I'm guessing probably a 1-2 scenario for the weekend as Rochester isn't that good and technically out anyway.

Rockford faces Milwaukee, Iowa and Chicago this weekend. Milwaukee is going to just annihilate them, that's a loss. The series with Iowa is 5-4, that is probably a win as Iowa is a terrible team. Their series with Chicago is tied 5-5 and both teams are on a bit of a slide. Plus, Chicago will also play 3/3 with the exact same teams. I think Rockford comes out of this one 2-1 as Chicago has a playoff spot and won't have the same sort of fight in them.

Charlotte has Grand Rapids this weekend only. They beat them yesterday 3-0 and lead the series 2-1. Again a case of GR not really having the same fight as they have a comfy spot and Charlotte turning it up as of late. I think Charlotte might take this too.

tl:dr - We beat the Barons, we eliminate them. The teams around them will take more wins then losses this weekend because they have been playing stronger then OKC as of late. Additionally, with the Oilers loss of Ference and Gagner, there might be callups to fill out the roster. I know Horak was owed one but got injured when they needed him. He's only gotten one game this year, they might give him a couple more to decided what they want to do with him over the summer. If not, he ends up in the record books as the first player to only play a single game with 2 NHL teams in one season. They could also take Arcobello as he was on the list and also got injured when they wanted him. Both would be a huge offensive loss.

Edit: If it goes how I think, OKC drops from 7th to 10th. I suppose not technically mathematically eliminated but close:

7 Charlotte Checkers 74 38 33 1 2 79
8 Rockford IceHogs 74 35 30 5 4 79
9 Rochester Americans 73 34 28 6 4 78
10 Oklahoma City Barons 73 33 29 2 9 77

They are then in a spot where they have to win against Texas and Iowa the next 3 games to get in. Couple that with the last few games (after this weekend) many of the bubble teams will play each other or teams so high in the standings it won't matter to them, it doesn't look good.

(I've put far too much time into showing how we will eliminate the baby Oilers...)

Last edited by Drury18; 04-10-2014 at 11:53 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #6
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's close because between 7th and 12th, it's only 6 points and some teams playing each other. Charlotte is in the worst position with 73 games played.

Also, I was looking at that and the schedule of the teams:

Rochester faces Toronto, Hamilton and Lake Erie this weekend. They just beat Toronto last night and have the season series tied 4-4. Rochester leads Hamilton in the season series 5-2. Lake Erie leads their season series 4-5. Those games could go anyway, I'm guessing probably a 1-2 scenario for the weekend as Rochester isn't that good and technically out anyway.

Rockford faces Milwaukee, Iowa and Chicago this weekend. Milwaukee is going to just annihilate them, that's a loss. The series with Iowa is 5-4, that is probably a win as Iowa is a terrible team. Their series with Chicago is tied 5-5 and both teams are on a bit of a slide. Plus, Chicago will also play 3/3 with the exact same teams. I think Rockford comes out of this one 2-1 as Chicago has a playoff spot and won't have the same sort of fight in them.

Charlotte has Grand Rapids this weekend only. They beat them yesterday 3-0 and lead the series 2-1. Again a case of GR not really having the same fight as they have a comfy spot and Charlotte turning it up as of late. I think Charlotte might take this too.

tl:dr - We beat the Barons, we eliminate them. The teams around them will take more wins then losses this weekend because they have been playing stronger then OKC as of late. Additionally, with the Oilers loss of Ference and Gagner, there might be callups to fill out the roster. I know Horak was owed one but got injured when they needed him. He's only gotten one game this year, they might give him a couple more to decided what they want to do with him over the summer. If not, he ends up in the record books as the first player to only play a single game with 2 NHL teams in one season. They could also take Arcobello as he was on the list and also got injured when they wanted him. Both would be a huge offensive loss.
We can't just assume that stuff will happen though. Upsets happen too, hell Charlotte knocked off Grand Rapids today.

Let's say we sweep and the Barons get no points.

I fully expect the Marlies to knock of Rochester, then the Americans will be in tough on Sunday against the Monsters since they are playing 3 in 3 in 3 different cities. - I predict 2-4 points.

Charlotte only has 1 game this weekend and it's against the Griffins, I doubt they pull of back to back upsets against Grand Rapids. - I predict 0 points

Rockford plays 3 in 3 as well, including games against Milwaukee and Chicago. - I predict 2, maybe 3 points.

And for arguments sake let's say the Comets win both games this weekend. - so 4 points

That scenario would see Rochester pass the Barons. Charlotte would remain tied but with the Barons having played less games. Rockford would tie them or pass them by 1 point. Utica would tie them, but the Barons would own the tie breaker.

That would leave the Barons at worst 1 point out of the playoffs with 3 games remaining, including their final 2 against Iowa who is last in the west.

Even if they lose both their playoff chances are still pretty good.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
One note I forgot to include as it's OKC related not Heat related: Darnell Nurse (Edmonton's 7th overall pick in 2013) was eliminated from the OHL playoffs and assigned to OKC. He is flying directly to Abbotsford to meet the team and expected to make his AHL debut as well this weekend wearing #17.

It will be OKC/Edmonton's first chance to see him playing with the big boys.
I hope Sven doesn't turn his back to Nurse. He took a nasty boarding hit from him in Penticton.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:37 AM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Victoria has been eliminated from the WHL playoffs.

It's time to release the Kanzig!
Old 04-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Abbotsford Heat@abbotsfordheat20 secs

Looks like @morganklimchuk will make his pro debut tonight with the #AHLHeat vs @okcbarons

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am really excited for Morgan to play. Is there any way of watching this game?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #11
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [GDT] Heat vs Barons - April 11th @ 8pm (MST) and April 13th @ 2pm (MST)

You can purchase a one day pass at AHL Live and then stream the game on your computer. I think it's $3.99 for a game.

http://ahl.neulion.com/ahl/

The game Sunday will be broadcast on Sportsnet 360 nationally and NHL Network for the USA.

Last edited by Drury18; 04-11-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Double-header Sunday! Heat at 2, Flames at 7.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be a good Sunday to watch the future of Calgary's team.

...while watching the demise of both Vancouver and Edmonton.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #14
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be a youthful night for both teams:

Quote:
Brandon Astle ‏@brandon_astle 7s
Well there will be alot of kids playing tonight. OKC has 3 players making their pro debuts. 6 others just made their pro debuts last weekend
Quote:
OKC has 3 players making their pro debuts (Nurse, Craig, Winquist). 6 others just made their pro debuts last weekend!
Quote:
Looks like we may see lots of kids out on the ice tonight. Klimchuk makes his pro debut. Will play with Locke & Olson. Kulak stays in. (1/2)

Last edited by Drury18; 04-11-2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:29 PM   #15
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Abbotsford will continue starting Ortio. 7th straight start.

Quote:
Brandon Astle ‏@brandon_astle 1m
It's Ortio vs. Bachman in the pipes. Joni's 7th straight start. Abby's offense will look to keep rolling. 22 goals in the last 4 games
Old 04-11-2014, 07:31 PM   #16
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

OKC missing a couple of their big offensive weapons tonight. Arcobello and Eager will be out.

Quote:
Scratches for #OKCBarons: Craig, Winquist, Ryan Hamilton, Kessy, Arcobello, Holmberg, MacIntyre, Grebeshkov, Gernant and Eager.
Lines for OKC:

Horak-Stretch-A. Miller
Combs-Khaira-C. Hamilton
K. Jones-C. Jones-Ford
Fyten-Ewanyk-Chase

Nurse-Fedun
Davidson-Hunt
Oesterle-Musil
Old 04-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #17
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coaches Comments:

- On week of preparation: Rested on Sunday/Monday. Casual practice day moving the puck, Wednesday was good, yesterday was just okay. Little healthier then a week ago. Things got accomplished this week.

- On wins against Rockford: Played only opportunistic. Got goals, but didn't play that great. Could have done better.

- On Baertschi: Made some strides. Needs to mature more as a man and day to day things. Based on size and skating, he needs to develop more. His hard consistency day to day, he still needs to work hard and develop. Scoring goals is better then not scoring at all. He's going in the right direction. His defensive game is getting better. His positioning is okay, but his awareness isn't great defensively. He needs to mature, young player used to having the puck and being go-to guy, he needs to learn what to do when he isn't that player on the team.

- On making playoffs and roster up to playoffs: Has to get the prospect guys in the lineup before the playoffs. Needs to get the hard working players in the lineup too (non-drafted guys). Becoming difficult to find spots for guys. Many will not make the road-trip.

- On Barons: Have been scoring goals of late. Horak has been a great offensive player as well as Stretch. Know they will be threats on the ice. They are a much better team then they faced in December. Figures it will be two different games as Edmonton finishes their season Saturday and expect to see Lander and other players sent to OKC and put in the lineup for the Sunday game.

On Klimchuk: Loves the game, loves the special teams. Is excited to play.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #18
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scratches: Roy, Lamb, Valcourt, MacPherson, Kremyr, Astles, Gordan, Gillies, Ferland, Sieloff, Tolkinien

Starters:

Ortio
SOB - Smith
Bancks-Hathaway-Jooris (4th line)
Old 04-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #19
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat Lines (ongoing):

Reinhart-Street-Jones
Baertschi-Knight-Miller
Klimchuk-Olson-Locke
Bancks-Hathaway-Jooris

Kulak-Arsene
SOB - Smith
Davies-LaFranchise

Last edited by Drury18; 04-11-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #20
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we are a go!

Tags
baby flames , baby oilers , edmonton is still no good