Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #161
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
No question about it: Granlund, Knight and Reinhart deserve to be called up before Sven. Unless there's a huge deadline day clear out of the Flames NHL roster I think it's likely Baertschi stays on the Heat.

PMM & Drury: what is the key to Granlund's success this season? He must be in contention for AHL rookie of the year...
I can say with certainty that there's been no external factor for Markus' success on the ice. It's been all him.

His shot is clearly NHL calibre, specifically his accuracy. He can find open spots on the net at will. His skating isn't the most beautiful thing, but he's quick. He has the stick skills to try one-on-one moves that no other Heat player can.

It's been a lot of fun watching this kid.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #162
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No question about it: Granlund, Knight and Reinhart deserve to be called up before Sven. Unless there's a huge deadline day clear out of the Flames NHL roster I think it's likely Baertschi stays on the Heat.

PMM & Drury: what is the key to Granlund's success this season? He must be in contention for AHL rookie of the year...
He should be in contention, but I think Strome has it all but sewn up.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #163
Crumpy-Gunt
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I can say with certainty that there's been no external factor for Markus' success on the ice. It's been all him.

His shot is clearly NHL calibre, specifically his accuracy. He can find open spots on the net at will. His skating isn't the most beautiful thing, but he's quick. He has the stick skills to try one-on-one moves that no other Heat player can.

It's been a lot of fun watching this kid.
That was one of my notes on Granlund from rookie camp. He had the best shot on display at the camp. He looked quite small at the camp though although super skilled with the puck and able to score I dont think he will play C at the NHL level but he could make a very good scoring winger.
Crumpy-Gunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #164
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumpy-Gunt View Post
That was one of my notes on Granlund from rookie camp. He had the best shot on display at the camp. He looked quite small at the camp though although super skilled with the puck and able to score I dont think he will play C at the NHL level but he could make a very good scoring winger.
His playing style reminds me of Monahan's. Not a great playmaker but has the ability to get open and has a great shot. Too bad he isn't bigger. His stick skills may translate into playmaking later on in his career but I like young players who want to score.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #165
RFP
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ward has made a ton of progress with him and needs more time with him to continue to get the best from him.[/QUOTE]

I disagree if Swen does anything it is because of HIM not Ward. Ward is basically the gate keeper, players a lot of time will only get as good as the Coach lets them. He sets the ice time, play situations and line mates....all of which can make you look like a star or a heal!!!!
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #166
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's damn good. Like PMM said, it seems to be all him. He has a natural ability. We have a diamond here that we need to polish up a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
I disagree if Swen does anything it is because of HIM not Ward. Ward is basically the gate keeper, players a lot of time will only get as good as the Coach lets them. He sets the ice time, play situations and line mates....all of which can make you look like a star or a heal!!!!
Absolutely not. Sven has shown numerous times that his maturity and mental toughness is not in a place where it is him alone that can turn things around. He needs an external factor, a kick in the ass in order to get anything done. Ward has been that kick and obviously knows what he's doing as since the arrival of Locke and putting him with Sven, his game as improved 1000%. And yes, the Coach sets the ice time and linemates. Again, if Ward put Baertschi with let's say Granlund and Reinhart, he would have looked like a fool. Both are playing far above his abilities and he would have been thrown under a bus for his lower level of play. Instead, Ward found someone more complimentary in Jooris and Locke and now Baertschi's game is looking alot better. And Ward is putting him in appropriate situations for ice time. He could put him on the PK, let him get lit up because his defensive skills aren't the best and absolutely crush him. But he's not. He gets 2nd unit PP time and chances to show where he can excel.

In this case, this is not Sven turning things around. This is Ward giving Sven the tools to be successful because he couldn't find them on his own. Ward deserves alot of credit. As does Locke.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2014, 04:05 PM   #167
RFP
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

In this case, this is not Sven turning things around. This is Ward giving Sven the tools to be successful because he couldn't find them on his own. Ward deserves alot of credit. As does Locke.[/QUOTE]

Believe that if you want, I understand fully why you've taken it
RFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #168
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing that could hold Granlund back from becoming a top 6 forward is his speed. His shot and offensive instincts are great, just that he's a bit on the slow side.

The problem with slower players is that they have to be really good to stick like Jason Allison or Dave Andreychuk. You don't usually see slow players that aren't that good stick long term.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
RFP
Old 02-18-2014, 12:35 AM   #169
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
The only thing that could hold Granlund back from becoming a top 6 forward is his speed. His shot and offensive instincts are great, just that he's a bit on the slow side.

The problem with slower players is that they have to be really good to stick like Jason Allison or Dave Andreychuk. You don't usually see slow players that aren't that good stick long term.
He isn't really "slow" IMO. What are you basing that on?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote