Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Robert Durst: Millionaire Real Estate heir, charged with Murder

(CNN)"Millionaire real estate heir Robert Durst was "lying in wait" when he shot and killed his longtime friend because she "was a witness to a crime," prosecutors alleged Monday.

The evidence behind that accusation wasn't revealed in the Los Angeles County District Attorney's court filing, which charged Durst with first-degree murder. If he's convicted in the December 2000 killing of Susan Berman, prosecutors said, he could face the death penalty.

The charges, filed two days after FBI agents arrested Durst in New Orleans, set the stage for a new courtroom battle for a man who's no stranger to run-ins with the law.

Durst's alleged connections with Berman's death and two others became the focus of HBO's true crime documentary, "The Jinx."

He admitted to shooting and dismembering his neighbor but was acquitted of murder.

He was suspected in his first wife's disappearance, but no one could pin him to it.

And just before Berman, his longtime confidante, was going to speak to investigators about his wife's case, she was killed."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/16/us/robert-durst-arrest/

More on Durst: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...rest/24866849/

-----

I recall reading about this case over a decade ago. One of the most bizarre crime stories I have ever read about. Durst was first thought to have killed his wife over 30 years ago, but authorities could not have enough evidence to go to trial. 20 years later, one of his most adamant supporters, and possible lover and novelist, was murdered.

In 2001, he dismembered and dumped his elderly neighbours body in the Gulf of Mexico, but unbelievably got away with all 3 crimes. He actually lived as a transvestite, and pretended to be mute, to avoid detection before he was caught and went to trial. Now he is charged again with murder.

I guess this just goes to show money can buy you justice in the USA, as he has been a serial killer for decades, and money bought him his freedom. Sorry about the morbid thread, but this is one case that I never forgot about, and always captivated me.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If he killed all 3 with ease and no remorse. Makes you wonder if there are other unsolved murders out there that he may have committed.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
If he killed all 3 with ease and no remorse. Makes you wonder if there are other unsolved murders out there that he may have committed.
It's more than probable, considering the guy is obviously mentally unstable, and his known crimes happened when he was 39 and onwards. Who knows what he did, or what his rich old man covered up before that.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #4
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't really know about any of this until last night. The one where he chopped up his neighbor and claimed self defense and was found innocent is crazy. He paid $2,000,000 for lawyers for that, just in case anyone is interested how much it costs to do that sort of thing.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i sense this will be the opening story arc for LAw and ORder SVU next September/October
Old 03-17-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only watched the the second last part of the documentary where they may have found evidence that directly linked him to the Berman crime scene. Handwriting and spelling on a discovered envelope found by her stepson in her possessions were similar as that sent to the police leading them to the body. He then called the documentary makers and I believe the last episode was investigating this piece of evidence. Some of reported last words from Durst in the documentary are chilling.

Quote:
On March 8, HBO aired the fifth and penultimate episode of “The Jinx,” which included a previously uncovered piece of evidence. On the eve of the finale, Durst was arrested in New Orleans in connection to the murder of his friend, Susan Berman, a little more than 14 years ago. Sunday night, the final episode aired. In its closing minutes, Durst says, “What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course.”
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...d-murder-case/

It seems like there may be several bad people in this story based on how the documentary is put together. The documentary seemingly suggests that Berman helped Durst hide/dispose the body of his wife. Her family had mob ties and she turned into his confidante as she handled the PR after his wifes disappearance. She was killed days before being visited by investigators. And Durst's current wife seems to be covering for him or is willfully ignorant.

The judge who presided over his trial of the death of the neighbour is happy. She doesn't believe justice was served and his acquittal was due to a shockingly bad prosecution team. Her assessment of the crime suggests a cold, calculating, and experienced serial killer.

Last edited by ernie; 03-17-2015 at 02:49 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Again, the dude is heir to hundreds of millions. I'm willing to bet anything that his old man, who made millions in real estate, probably bought many people off, including Police before he was suspected of killing his wife in 1982. It's almost certainly happened before.

It's nearly impossible to murder several people in cold blood beginning when you are nearly 40, without having a lengthy track record of antisocial, and criminal behaviour. I wonder what he was doing in his 20s and 30s (1960s-70s).

The case where he killed his neighbour, dismembered him, and disposed of the remains in the ocean, and was acquitted just proves that money can buy justice. What's scary is all his elderly neighbour really did was complain about the noise level in Durst's apartment.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:10 PM   #8
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Going to watch this documentary. Strange that the Police could not pibn the murders on him for 33 years, and just one week after this reality TV program airs, he is arrested. Safe to say it was ill-advised that he participated on this program.

Last edited by Jets4Life; 03-17-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #9
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i sense this will be the opening story arc for LAw and ORder SVU next September/October
Thought there was a code in this post to solve the crime. Ends up LAORSVU doesn't solve anything.

Mildly disappointed.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #10
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

AP clarifies: Robert Durst was not in Limp Bizkit
Quote:
A reader notified media blogger Jim Romenesko of an AP report on Robert Durst being booked on weapons charges in Louisiana. The story had state trooper, Melissa Matey, telling AP that "an arrest warrant was issued for the former Limp Bizkit frontman and he was rebooked in the Orleans Parish Jail on Monday under two new charges," according to the Business Insider.

AP issued this correction: "The Associated Press reported erroneously that Robert Durst is a member of a band. He is a real estate heir; Fred Durst is the former frontman of Limp Bizkit."
Finger Cookin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2015, 09:59 AM   #11
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Again, the dude is heir to hundreds of millions.
He's not the heir anymore. His family cut him off long ago. His brother and likely the entire family believes he is guilty. Doesn't mean his family didn't help him first thing when his wife went missing. They did have ties to unsavoury types and surely it is no coincidence that Berman (whose father was a mobster) was the person tapped to do PR.

But he doesn't need any of that money as he has made enough on his own. I believe last year he sold property for well over $20 million he bought for a fraction of that price. As an example.

edit: I might be wrong. While the family cut him off some two decades ago he ddid still have atrust but his brother controlled it. He settled his shares of that trust for $65 mil.

Last edited by ernie; 03-18-2015 at 10:28 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #12
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Durst has been testifying in his murder trial.

DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:11 PM   #13
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This guy is a proper lunatic.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2021, 07:52 PM   #14
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always like to remind people that awful Judge Janine woman from Fox News couldn’t convict this man.
Old 10-14-2021, 07:49 PM   #15
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Robert Durst Sentenced to Life in Prison for Friend’s Murder

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/14/u...g.D1do75yeBYhA
Old 10-14-2021, 09:10 PM   #16
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its funny to me that they still use terminology like "millionaire real estate heir" when that description in Southern California basically means anyone whose parents paid off an average bungalow and left it to them.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:14 PM   #17
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Millionaire convicted murderer Robert Durst has died in prison at the age of 78, according to his lawyer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59945850
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 01:31 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last time I saw him on trial he looked like the Cryptkeeper.

That guy was 11 kinds of crazy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:12 PM   #19
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Gone too soon.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #20
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Natural causes eh!! shame I was hoping he'd died by repeatedly sitting on a shank in the showers
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crime , millionaire , robert durst