Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2021, 06:02 PM   #561
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently reading the book series. On book 12 of 14. Haven't heard much fanfare about the upcoming Amazon series, hopefully they nail it.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #562
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I read this series long enough ago that I remember the key players, and some key events, but have forgot enough of the details to make it seem fresh and exciting still.

There are definitely some memorable parts I am looking forward to seeing on the screen. And I have been waiting decades to see the True blade of Malkier in live action.

I think Moiraine is exceptionally well cast. And I am excited to see what all these other actors can do with some pretty legendary characters.
Old 09-02-2021, 10:08 PM   #563
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If the show is like the books I probably die before it ends

Pretty excited, but I was hoping for something a little more fancy or impressive looking for saidar.
Old 09-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #564
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I read this series long enough ago that I remember the key players, and some key events, but have forgot enough of the details to make it seem fresh and exciting still.
I read it long ago that I vaguely remember the main characters and a general sense of thinking "alright, this is generally not great, but I've come this far and I guess I should keep going" until ultimately reaching a point of thinking "okay now you're deliberately dragging this out to make more money".

I dunno, the fact that it's on Prime is really what's making me think it could be pretty good, because otherwise the whole enterprise has a lot of "Shannara Chronicles" potential to completely flop.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #565
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I guess we'll finally resolve the question of how you pronounce Nynaeve.
Never!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #566
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Never!
No, that's not quite right...there is no R in Nynaeve.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #567
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a silent R.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #568
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You mean invisible?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:31 PM   #569
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

You know, given my username you'd think I'd be more excited about this. I guess I'm just worried it'll be a messed up adaptation. The Eye of the World is one of my favorite books ever so I have a really set expectation in my mind of how it should look. I can't wait to see how it goes, though.

Moiraine and Lan appear to be perfectly cast, at least!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:44 PM   #570
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

I can't tell if im incredibly excited, or incredibly dreadful.

I hope this is amazing. It has been so long that if they decide to take some liberties and clean up the story, I am all in. Because the last 2.5 books were absolute trash.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 12:45 PM   #571
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
If the show is like the books I probably die before it ends

Pretty excited, but I was hoping for something a little more fancy or impressive looking for saidar.
The showrunner has already come out and said that the complete run is set to be eight seasons, and the broad stroke planning is already done. That was great news to me, because I found some books to be a bit of a drag, and began to wonder if Jordan had lost a bit of his love for his creation, before Sanderson took over and laid out a really nice ending.
Old 09-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #572
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The showrunner has already come out and said that the complete run is set to be eight seasons, and the broad stroke planning is already done. That was great news to me, because I found some books to be a bit of a drag, and began to wonder if Jordan had lost a bit of his love for his creation, before Sanderson took over and laid out a really nice ending.

Excuse me?

Sanderson is the worst thing that happened to the end of that series. He is a unequivocally, in my mind, a hack writer. All his other books are terrible.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:11 PM   #573
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post

Excuse me?

Sanderson is the worst thing that happened to the end of that series. He is a unequivocally, in my mind, a hack writer. All his other books are terrible.
Huh, I've only read the first Mistborn trilogy of his, but I rather liked it. When he was given the job of ending the WOT, it was a bit of a convoluted mess. He did a good job of wrapping things up in a satisfying manner, only dropping some threads, like Thom Merrilin, that could be given a book of their own at a later date.

I mean in terms of who is a hack writer, yet prolific, you should start at Terry Goodkind, and Sanderson is miles above that.
Old 09-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #574
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post

Excuse me?

Have you forgotten how much of a slog the last couple Robert Jordan books were? I think Sanderson had a really difficult task in wrapping all that up and did an admirable job.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:04 PM   #575
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never finished WOT. Just too many books and I wasn't that in to it. Maybe the series will rekindle it, but I tend to like the version I finish first, so maybe not.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:26 PM   #576
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah when you read a 1200 page book and some of the main characters didn't even appear in it and the plot was barely moved at all things have gone off the rails.

Sanderson's ending was.. an ending, for that I was thankful. Had some stuff I liked, some stuff I didn't, but I am NOT going back to reread it all to get a better grip on all of it.

Sanderson's other books are ok, I am quite enjoying the Stormlight books. The Mistborn series was ok for the first 3 anyway. I like his worldbuilding ambition.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #577
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prime’s search function sucks.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #578
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any idea when Yellowstone becomes available today on Prime? The internet tells me that is where it is streaming in Canada.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:55 PM   #579
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Any idea when Yellowstone becomes available today on Prime? The internet tells me that is where it is streaming in Canada.
7 pm from what I can tell.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 04:00 PM   #580
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Prime’s search function sucks.
Prime has a ton of stuff, and it's REALLY hard to find.