Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New President for Stockton Heat

For Immediate Release
Wednesday, June 16, 2021

STOCKTON, Calif. – The Stockton Heat, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Calgary Flames, announce today that Jamie Cochrane has been named President. Cochrane, who has overseen the Heat’s business operations since February of 2020, has spent nearly seven years with Calgary Sports and Entertainment Corporation working closely with the Stockton Heat, the Calgary Flames and the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League.

“I’m excited to begin this new role in Stockton,” said Cochrane, who along with his wife and daughter, will move to Stockton from their home in Calgary. “In my time working with the Heat I’ve developed a great appreciation for the team’s passionate fan base, the City of Stockton’s vibrant community, and the opportunity for accelerated growth. I look forward to deepening the connection between the team and Stockton and the surrounding communities, starting with a return to play in front of our fans back on home ice at the Stockton Arena later this year.”

In addition to his work with Calgary Sports and Entertainment, Cochrane has contributed efforts to raise awareness for causes such as the Schizophrenia Society of Alberta, ALS, and ‘Movember’ men’s mental health initiatives. Cochrane also volunteers his time as a Big Brother as part of the Big Brothers Big Sisters Foundation.

“It’s important for the Heat to be a leader in supporting community causes, returning the investment the City and fans have made in us” said Cochrane. “Throughout the first five seasons of Heat hockey in Stockton, the City and its residents have embraced us with open arms. We are thankful for the support we have received since the start and are committed to continuing where we left off in the shortened 2019-20 season.”

The Heat’s return to Stockton Arena for the 2021-22 season comes with a new one-year lease between the club and the City of Stockton. Heat365 Membership renewals are ongoing, with more information available at StocktonHeat.com/Heat365.

###
For information contact:
Brandon Weiss
Director, Communications
(209) 373-1524
bweiss@stocktonheat.com
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Jamie is a good guy. Glad to hear.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Yeesh. imagine moving from Calgary to Stockton.. lol
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:15 PM   #4
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Yeesh. imagine moving from Calgary to Stockton.. lol

Yeah, who would want to live in California, an hour from San Francisco?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:25 AM   #5
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pretty sure he lurks here so Congrats to you!!!
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:28 AM   #6
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningSteel View Post
Pretty sure he lurks here so Congrats to you!!!

Thanks, and you are right! Maybe I should change it user name to something more professional rather than an inside joke that nobody gets lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2021, 12:38 PM   #7
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Congrats!
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 07:06 PM   #8
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

A one year lease. I don’t imagine they’re long for Stockton.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #9
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
A one year lease. I don’t imagine they’re long for Stockton.
It may seem surprising, but that's actually not necessarily true at all. We are working on a longer term extension in Stockton. Its just been a challenge to negotiate in a more uncertain world during this pandemic. With some normality finally happening I expect efforts to reboot.

If it was a pure 1 year move then I wouldnt have made the commitment to uproot my family there... there is a lot of work to do to regain the trust and prove commitment to the City of Stockton and our fan base there and it will take some time and proven action on our end.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:00 AM   #10
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Best of luck in the new role Jamie
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:40 AM   #11
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
It may seem surprising, but that's actually not necessarily true at all. We are working on a longer term extension in Stockton. Its just been a challenge to negotiate in a more uncertain world during this pandemic. With some normality finally happening I expect efforts to reboot.

If it was a pure 1 year move then I wouldnt have made the commitment to uproot my family there... there is a lot of work to do to regain the trust and prove commitment to the City of Stockton and our fan base there and it will take some time and proven action on our end.
Thanks for replying to this. I think the fact you're moving you and your family there speaks a lot to the willingness to try and make it work long term. A cross border move is no doubt a little tricky right now.

Like all things, I'm sure the economics need to prove themselves out. I'm happy to see the team is moving towards playing a full season.

A couple of years ago my son was playing in a minor hockey tournament in either Utah or Colorado and they played a team from Stockton in Flames colors. They were awfully good so there's definitely some kind of hockey community there.

Best of luck to you and the organization.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #12
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If anyone has any questions about Stockton or just interested in chatting about working for the Flames, seeing that perspective, et al, just let me know. Im a really open guy and love the community here. I just made a new "Stockton Prez" account I will start using once its approved, and will remain active and part of the community here.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #13
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Bring back Scorch!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2021, 12:46 PM   #14
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If anyone has any questions about Stockton or just interested in chatting about working for the Flames, seeing that perspective, et al, just let me know. Im a really open guy and love the community here. I just made a new "Stockton Prez" account I will start using once its approved, and will remain active and part of the community here.

Hi, my name is George, and I’d like a job with the Flames. I was the assistant to the travelling secretary with the Yankees and got to travel with the team. I was there for awhile, but then Yada, Yada, Yada, I wasn’t.

I am open to most anything, although that GM job sounds quite appealing.

BTW, why did you guys trade Doug Gilmour?

Old 06-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #15
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Bring back Scorch!
Lol, believe me I have tried. Many times.

But the Flames have hinted at bigger plans for Scorch and have had some teasers with him on TikTok and stuff.

I believe its a matter of when not if that he makes a triumphant return.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2021, 05:50 AM   #16
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Triumphant meaning a city in blazes and ash and glory, presumably.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:32 PM   #17
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Yeah, who would want to live in California, an hour from San Francisco?

My inlaws live there, wife grew up there.

It's not a nice place to be.. doesn't matter how close you are to the Bay Area.

Don't' leave the house at night type of place.

edit: it looks like the guy is a member here - I grew up in Calgary but live in PHX, I may be generalizing but this isn't just me talking, my wife has a laundry list of crazy things she's seen. Hope you live in Sacramento or Elk Grove!

First place i've actively heard gunshots in a middle class neighborhood at night. A ton of gang activity. etc.

But with that said, i know they've got a new mayor doing good things and i haven't visited since 2015.. by choice but I will likely need to take our son there to meet his inlaws soon. Prayers!

Last edited by Jordan!; 06-19-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2021, 06:13 PM   #18
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey there us absolutely truth to the crime rate issues, but there are plenty of areas in an around Stockton that are more than fine. I have travelled plenty in my life and not someone that lives in a bubble and intimidated by it.

Use street smarts, treat people well, avoid scary areas, put your kids in a safe school, etc.

We are good and to each their own. I’m personally looking forward to exploring more of California... we actually got married in San Fran... honeymooned there... great opportunity to make a difference in this community.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Matt Reeeeead For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes there are always experts about how crappy certain cities are to live in. No doubt Stockton has crime issues but there are beautiful neighborhoods, nice weather and you are very close to a whole lot of incredible places to visit and things to do. The idea that you are in danger wherever you are in Stockton is folly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #20
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Hey there us absolutely truth to the crime rate issues, but there are plenty of areas in an around Stockton that are more than fine. I have travelled plenty in my life and not someone that lives in a bubble and intimidated by it.

Use street smarts, treat people well, avoid scary areas, put your kids in a safe school, etc.

We are good and to each their own. I’m personally looking forward to exploring more of California... we actually got married in San Fran... honeymooned there... great opportunity to make a difference in this community.

I agree with all of this.

Truly best of luck for you, your family and the organization.

I think it's really cool how my city where i was born and raised farm squad is in my wife's city where she's born and raised.

If i'm in town I know who to ask for tickets I may need to bring my Mother in law who is a Vietnamese immigrant to her first ever sporting event.