Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #401
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Monahan is not fine. In fact I would argue he is the worst Flame. Save the "he is engaging physically", he is our number 1 centre and being paid handsomely, bringing it offensively whether its creating chances/scoring is his number one responsibility. He isn't a 3rd line grinder. I want somebody to show me video of him carrying the puck into the offensive zone with speed or even to setup the play, yesterday or even in game 1. The guy is not a number 1 centre at all, great he can score and chip it in in front of the net, but he doesn't have the skill set to be the number 1 c on a contending team.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #402
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

People coming here to talk about the mistakes and failures isn't "uncommon"
This is how the real world works, we all have jobs (most of us at least I'd assume) and when you're doing a good job you usually dont hear anything.

When you make a mistake, or do something wrong that's visible to your peers or superiors I bet you all usually hear about it yea?

Now take doing your job and put in front of the public eye (CP Members!) and have them also analyzing your play/the game as it unfolds in real time.

I'm always surprised people say "wow more people post when they lose"
Yep, its true! Because there's more to analyze and look at and you try and point our the mistakes/errors that contributed to the Flames losing.

Nothing wrong it it, don't take it the wrong way.
Now some people I understand may go completely overboard but for the most part I personally enjoy the different takes and discussions that come with the Flames losing and the CP collective analyzing.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:44 PM   #403
Bankai
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After digesting from last night's game, I realized that even with all the warts we have all noticed, we still could have won this one.

Gaudreau's name keeps popping up and it is with good reason that he seems like our whipping boy from yesterday. Besides his secondary assist, he was a clear non factor.

Like most of you all, I agree that he is too soft on the puck. Whenever he goes in to retrieve a puck or if Dallas breaks out through him, it is almost a certainty that they will come straight out with the puck. He does not have any physicality in his game whatsoever. This wouldn't be a problem if he still shows his elite puck handling skills and finesse, but for some reason it has completely evaporated. When he crosses into Dallas' end, he either button hooks back and sends an errant pass that gets blocked and goes the other way or he shoots it at a defenders legs.

It is just so frustrating to see him play this way.

On the bright side, great to see Dube/Bennett showing their abilities this playoffs.

It is only the second game and we are 1-1 with a game we could have won yesterday. Let's hope the boys take control and take out the Stars tonight!

GO FLAMES GO!
Bankai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:50 PM   #404
KamFongAsChinHo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I've not played professional hockey as have obviously the vast majority of posters on this board. So I've always been puzzled by those who pick on Johnny because of his absence of physical play.

Good lord, he's about the size of my oldest daughter.

Last edited by KamFongAsChinHo; 08-14-2020 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Missed a section
KamFongAsChinHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #405
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Just pure speculation but maybe the slashes on the wrists finally caught up with Gaudreau? I mean he can't hold on to the puck even close the way he did before.
I doubt it, Gaudreau has played in multiple playoff series...

He has consistently struggled.

Playoff style has way more physical component to it, and Gaudreau has never adapted.

I thought he was a complete none factor and has not been a factor 5 vs 5 at all.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #406
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

I get why people think Monahan is the problem and he is probably overrated but nobody thinks he is an elite center. He is just a solid goal scoring center that is borderline first line or a very good 2nd line center. Most fans league wide and the media probably think he is slightly better than he is but nobody is putting him in the elite center category. He will always be someone that needs to be surrounded by someone better than he is to excel.

Gaudreau on the other hand was at one point considered elite. In my eyes you can't be elite if you need elite players to play with to be elite. This doesn't add up to me. Hey if Monahan was Mackinnon look out for Johnny. Sorry but Mackinnon's don't grow on trees.

If you had a guy like Seguin who would be an upgrade on Monahan, I still think Johnny would be a problem. Small players who don't play physical can excel in the playoffs but Johnny is so soft he is afraid to even put himself in harms way in fear that his career will be ended. I don't blame him but he is the softest player in the NHL. Even Dube and Mangipane go into the corners. Loose pucks come Johnny's way and if he thinks he will get hit he just chops at the puck and basically allows the other team to gain possession. Hard to be elite if that is how you play. He is afraid to go wide in fear of getting plastered into the boards. Afraid to cut to the middle in fear of big open ice hit. He is constantly playing scared and teams know it

To make things worse, the West is way more physical than the East. You can't win in the west without taking a beating. It's time to move on from Johnny and move him out East where he has a better chance.

I get it's one loss but we beat a Winnipeg team without 2 of their best players. A team that probably misses playoffs in a normal year so it's not like they were a great team when healthy.

Last edited by Macho0978; 08-14-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: typo
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:56 PM   #407
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

*Abraham simpson gif*

Dear lord CP.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:03 PM   #408
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Monahan is not fine. In fact I would argue he is the worst Flame. Save the "he is engaging physically", he is our number 1 centre and being paid handsomely, bringing it offensively whether its creating chances/scoring is his number one responsibility. He isn't a 3rd line grinder. I want somebody to show me video of him carrying the puck into the offensive zone with speed or even to setup the play, yesterday or even in game 1. The guy is not a number 1 centre at all, great he can score and chip it in in front of the net, but he doesn't have the skill set to be the number 1 c on a contending team.
The bar for him is so low. Just showing effort at this point is welcomed by the fans.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:10 PM   #409
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cannot believe some people are suggesting that Gaudreau shouldn't have been on the ice in the last minute - it was a tie game, of course he is going to get his shift. Just a bizarre take.

Yes, he missed his coverage on the goal, but that play happened because of Dube's brutal clearing attempt which allowed the Stars to enter the zone without the Flames being able to be in position defensively.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #410
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I stayed away from this thread until this afternoon and I wish I’d continued doing so
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #411
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I cannot believe some people are suggesting that Gaudreau shouldn't have been on the ice in the last minute - it was a tie game, of course he is going to get his shift. Just a bizarre take.

Yes, he missed his coverage on the goal, but that play happened because of Dube's brutal clearing attempt which allowed the Stars to enter the zone without the Flames being able to be in position defensively.
Normally I would say you're right but the Flames for whatever reason were on their heels completely after tying the game up. They didn't have their time out either to settle everyone down. Because of this, the goal for the Flames should have been to just make it to OT and regroup in the locker room and having Johnny out there in the final shift while you're on your heels is not a great coaching decision.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #412
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post

The details are a little fuzzy due to alcohol during the game, but I was very disappointed to see Monahan tied up in the corner with a Star, can't remember who, and just wilting. Now I get that it was late, maybe at the 4-3 stage and that he was tied up with a player that would have been a poor trade-off had they both been penalized, but he just stood there getting "Sedined" with his hair in his eyes like a sheepdog. His lips weren't even moving for Christ sake. He looked like he didn't have a care in the world at that moment.

That is not engaged.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:19 PM   #413
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames have won 4 of 6 playoff games
Old 08-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #414
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Flames have won 4 of 6 playoff games
I think most of us are considering who they have played. In the Gaudreau era the flames have a decent playoff record against winnipeg and Vancouver. Sure 2 series wins against bad playoff teams. Whats the win loss record against stars avs and ducks? 3 and 13?

Last edited by Macho0978; 08-14-2020 at 01:25 PM. Reason: typo
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #415
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
I think most of us are considering who they have played. In the Gaudreau era the flames have a decent playoff record against winnipeg and Vancouver. Sure 2 series wins against bad playoff teams. Whats the win loss record against stars avs and ducks? 3 and 13?
4 and 13 after tonight.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #416
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Why include the Stars? 1-1
Old 08-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #417
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stupid game 2 curse. Let's see what they bring for Game 3.
OldSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:58 PM   #418
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:03 PM   #419
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote: