Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2020, 10:00 AM   #381
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone pointing fingers at Johnny Hockey, but Monahan is completely useless unless he's picking cherries in front of the net. He creates no offense on his own and doesn't open up anything for Gaudreau. Furthermore, he isn't even physical. He's a poor man's first line center. Before moving on from Gaudreau, maybe we should try getting him a center that is actually effective in making something happen for once. If someone opened up the ice for Gaudreau, maybe he can do what he's good at doing.

Guys like Jagr have been around long enough to know what they are talking about and he had high praise for Gaudreau.

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 AM   #382
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I like playoff Bennett. Like, a lot.

Also, can someone find Monahan a helmet that fits?
Things that come out in the playoffs. Take Monahan out of the play flip his lid.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #383
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
Everyone pointing fingers at Johnny Hockey, but Monahan is completely useless unless he's picking cherries in front of the net. He creates no offense on his own and doesn't open up anything for Gaudreau. Furthermore, he isn't even physical. He's a poor man's first line center. Before moving on from Gaudreau, maybe we should try getting him a center that is actually effective in making something happen for once. If someone opened up the ice for Gaudreau, maybe he can do what he's good at doing.

Guys like Jagr have been around long enough to know what they are talking about and he had high praise for Gaudreau.
2017-18 regular season Gaudreau

2019-2020 Gaudreau not so much
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #384
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Both of them need to adapt.

1) Gaudreau carries puck up, cross the offensive blue line;
2) Mony drives to the front of the net, don’t look for pass just beenlinr to the net. That will create space in the middle of the ice for Gaudreau.
3a) Gaudreau either goes wide to draw defenders and open up Lindholm In high slot or he puts puck on net with Mony in front for tip or rebound.
3b) Gaudreau carries the puck following Mony’s net drive and puts puck on net with Mony looking for tip or rebound.

These guys have to work together and adapt. Mony needs to drive the net. That’s what Backs did on Dube’s first goal in the series which created the dove.

Right now Mony is just waiting in the high slot for Gaudreau, that pass will NEVER make it to you in the playoffs.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:01 AM   #385
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

A lot of over reaction here that will be different after tonights game.

There was a lot that went wrong with the last min.
IMO the wrong guys were on the ice as well.

But, lots of guys struggled all night. Flames couldn't find their game.
And yet this still tied it up.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #386
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

The flames played awful for most of the game and still almost squeezed out a win. If they put in a bit more effort - They should pull out a W tonight.

Big Yikes from the posters who think the series is already over.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 11:05 AM   #387
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
The flames played awful for most of the game and still almost squeezed out a win. If they put in a bit more effort - They should pull out a W tonight.

Exactly.

The Flames had a bad game. They still tied it up.

Its not the end of the world.

Even better, some of our younger guys are showing they are stepping up.
The goal should be to be consistently competitive from year to year, not win one playoff game. That means we need players with consistent compete levels.

I think we are seeing that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:15 AM   #388
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I agree in theory, but good luck finding a team that will trade a true #1 center. I’ve said it before but Mony has the safest job trade wise in the organization. We need him for first line until they draft and groom a replacement, or trade For a prospect that needs grooming for first line duties.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #389
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the Flames lose this series and Gaudreau is a no show then we have to move on from him. Its very frustrating watching Bennett Dube Mangipane and Rasmus all play their hearts out and produce at a high level yet we get nothing from our top guys. Sign Hall trade johnny for picks and prospects still allows this team to move forward trying to win now but helps us add to our farm system. Maybe snag a depth d man in trade too
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:16 AM   #390
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean is it not telling about CP when we have like 8 page PGT after wins and now 20 and counting for a one goal loss?

Absolutely insane, I expect GTs to be this way but not PGT's, people need to take a step back and breathe.

A lot of very fair criticisms on our top players, but did people really expect us to win every game?

Tonight's is a huge test to see how we respond after a real playoff game loss, I know these guys have it in them!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #391
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post

I don’t think it’s over at all.

I just have absolutely zero expectations for Johnny the rest of the way. Thankfully a lot of guys have stepped up, and I think the team has the depth to make some noise.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #392
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
I mean is it not telling about CP when we have like 8 page PGT after wins and now 20 and counting for a one goal loss?

Absolutely insane, I expect GTs to be this way but not PGT's, people need to take a step back and breathe.

A lot of very fair criticisms on our top players, but did people really expect us to win every game?

Tonight's is a huge test to see how we respond after a real playoff game loss, I know these guys have it in them!
It'd be the same for every team.

In PGT when the team loses, there's non-stop back and forth between bickering fans, especially in the heat of the moment.

In PGT when the team wins, there's more level-headed conversation and everyone is on the same page for the most part.

It's not surprising at all
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #393
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post

In PGT when the team loses, there's non-stop back and forth between bickering fans, especially in the heat of the moment.

In PGT when the team wins, there's more level-headed conversation and everyone is on the same page for the most part.

Pretty much. In a PGT after a win there's not much to talk about. Just "Player x played great, what a play by player y" but not much back and forth
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #394
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinL_NHL View Post

Other than the people who dismiss any concerns with "we won, shut up" type rhetoric.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #395
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poopy game and every poopier ending. I'm not going to jump on the hate-JG train, but ya he was bad. But at the same time, he is what he is; an undersized winger that will not get involved physically and you can expect him to lose board battles and shy away from contact when the going gets tough in the playoffs. I'm not sure why this surprises anybody. He is as advertised since his days in Boston College. Physical play and grinding is NOT his skillset. So ya, we're gonna see him turn away from corners and dodge hits and lose pucks. That's just what someone does when they are 160lbs going up against angry 210+lbs veteran players.

At the same time you hope his actual elite skillset counterbalances that, but we haven't seen that yet. The play where him and Monahan had a 2 on 1 and he blew the pass, that's something he usually threads through. Dishing to open players on the PP, that's his jam. When was the last time we saw him setting up behind the net and play keep away only to pass to someone out front. Seen that once I think vs the Jets.

So I think it's more then fair to criticize him for not pulling off those plays he normally does. That's what he's good and excels at. But I'm never going to expect him to win a physical board battle vs Benn or Perry. I don't think it's a lack of effort on his part. But he needs to fight through this and find a way to make those good plays happen. He's a quick player but he always looks a step behind in the playoffs.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #396
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Exactly.

The Flames had a bad game. They still tied it up.

Its not the end of the world.

Even better, some of our younger guys are showing they are stepping up.
The goal should be to be consistently competitive from year to year, not win one playoff game. That means we need players with consistent compete levels.

I think we are seeing that.
Yeah, the emergence of the Andersson's, Mangiapane's & Dubé's, and then Bennett showing again that he can at least deliver in the playoffs is a big takeaway no matter what happens in this series.

The goal should be winning, but with so many questions surrounding our core and then the seemingly endless shutdown, you have to like at least a little bit of what we're seeing. This isn't last year's meltdown at all.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #397
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan can't win around here. He's been going about his business just fine. I'm a little teeny bit concerned about Lindholm right now but he's also chipping in points and other aspects of the game.

I'm staring straight at Gaudreau right now. Wondering why in the blue blazes the playbook in the dying minutes is to get it to Johnmy to gain the zone and then immediately forfeit possession. Everyone else is back and they're stretching him out so he goes in all alone. We saw it last night after Dallas scored with a minute left.

Its beyond infuriating that the same playbook is being used from the avs series and the same results occur.

The Flames clawed back in as a 5 man unit. Not the johnny hockey show.

I'm growing a lot of animosity rn that the Flames keep trying.to feed JG in clutch moments and he keeps flubbing it. And flubbs his opportunities the weakest manor.

Our weakest link is our smallest link. And that shouldn't be a shock or even really defensible in the playoffs any longer.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:52 AM   #398
mrchristy31
Draft Pick

Although I think Sam was okay on the top line last night, I just don't see a good fit. The few plays he made, he got away from the game that has been succesfull up until this point...........which is 3rd line chip and bang hockey. He was looking to Johnny every time he had the puck, and multiple times, trying to force a pass through multiple sticks to a covered Gaudreau instead of getting the puck deep and pounding them.

With that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to another shot, but would like to see Monahan drop down to 3rd line with Lucic and Dube and have Bennett flanking Lindholm and Gaudreau
mrchristy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #399
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
While I get where this discussion is coming from, this continuous trade-Johnny talk is really tiresome and completely premature until the playoffs are over. Trades are literally impossible right now, and there's still plenty of hockey to be played before they're again an option.

How about we keep the post game discussion in topics that are relevant to the game and/or series?

There's a whole other thread for trade speculation for people who are really into it.
Look some people have trade Gaudreau on their minds 24/7 so they’re going to remind you of it when a play like that happens.

The photos of the winning goal were really damning. That’s hard to look at TBH.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #400
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Monahan can't win around here. He's been going about his business just fine.
One SOG in two games is not just fine. He's supposed to be one of our top finishers.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post: