Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #41
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The ending isn't what bugged me. On one hand I agree with Nolan about Superman's golden rule, on the other hand I thought Snyder sort of played the killing of Zod off well. Though the point my friend made was pretty valid, when Zod is laser eyeing the 4 people Superman breaks Zod's neck, yet Superman is throwing Zod through like 40 buildings in Metropolis which is killing tons more people.

What bugged me, like I already mentioned, was that the entire film is filmed by a f***ing vibrating ######nozzle of a cameraman who can't hold a camera steady. How can you enjoy a film, when the cameraman is have a god damn seizure for 90 god damn minutes (the CGI action sequences were "filmed" well so at least 40 minutes of it were watchable)?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 AM   #42
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
If he's seen Jurassic Park and the others then Man of Steel shouldn't be too scary for him at all. Nothing overly graphic I'd say, and very little blood.

Maybe your son just has incredibly good taste? Green Lantern sucks, Oz was pretty scary (scary bad), and I couldn't make it through any of the Pirates movies either. Even the first Pirates movie was pretty much a battle with insomnia; pretty innovative, but for that type of movie I felt it was way too long.

But yah I doubt he'd have much of a problem with it. It's long though at 2.5 hours, but not much longer than a few of the other movies you listed. When I went to the 10pm show last week I was next to a father and all his kids, and they loved it, so it could be the same with your son.

Alright this is fantastic news, thank you so much. I was only a little hesitant because of how dark (and awesome) the Batman movies were which he hasn't seen any of (but continuously asks to see them) but you have removed any worry i had before, much appreciated.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 AM   #43
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

WB has come out and said that they don't want to copy Marvel, and just because that formula worked for them doesn't mean it will work for DC..

I like the direction they are going, but I hope they severely limit the number of heroes in the first JLA movie. You need Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman. I would go with Flash and Martian Manhunter and that is it, then lead into an ending that opens the battle up into space through MM or into the sea with some sort of twist and brings Fish Boy in for movie 2.

I also loved the Zod death, they set the tone and let you know this isn't your Dad's Superman. I find it interesting that Nolan opposed it as I would have pegged this as his biggest influence.. if anything to me the fact that he was willing to kill to protect what he believed in was the most human trait he posessed. At that moment I thought, this guy is one of us.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #44
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
I haven't read any of the posts because I'm going to see the movie tomorrow but I was hoping someone who had seen them movie could help me out. Would it be too scary for my seven year old son?

Keep in mind that he has already watched and enjoyed all three Jurassic Parks, the first two Ironman's, Thor, Captain America, both Hulks and of course the Avengers. I never let him watch the Green Lantern movie, he was a little scared while watching the new Oz but finished it although never made it through any of the Pirate movies.

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Does anyone else have an opinion if i should take him?

Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #45
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks
I think it's totally fine for younger kids. As far as superhero movies go I think it's among the tamest.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #46
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Thanks
My son just turned seven and I'm taking him.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #47
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Man of Steel tops UK box office charts:

Quote:
Superman movie Man of Steel has followed its success in the US by topping the UK box office.

The film, which stars British actor Henry Cavill as the superhero, took £11.2m in ticket sales from 572 screens in its opening weekend.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22970554
Old 06-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #48
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Also, an interesting article over at IGN that talks about the 'realism' of Man of Steel, the sci-fi tone it has set for the DCU and where the DC franchise should/could go from here.

Quote:
If Man of Steel is the first in a new wave of DC movies, it certainly set a distinctive tone for the rest of these projects to follow. Man of Steel was less a superhero film and more a science fiction story that happened to feature super-powered characters. Krypton's alien culture and technology received much more focus than they did in the classic Superman films. The first 15 minutes of the movie could just as easily have been part of a Star Wars sequel. Even when it came to Superman's powers, there was a specific emphasis on providing tangible, pseudo-scientific explanations for the source of his strength, flight, etc.

Be warned, there are some possible spoilers for the second film, it is all speculation, but they are basing it off of easter eggs found both in the movie and in a prequel comic released by DC.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...the-dcu?page=1
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #49
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't read any of the posts because I'm going to see the movie tomorrow but I was hoping someone who had seen them movie could help me out. Would it be too scary for my seven year old son?

Keep in mind that he has already watched and enjoyed all three Jurassic Parks, the first two Ironman's, Thor, Captain America, both Hulks and of course the Avengers. I never let him watch the Green Lantern movie, he was a little scared while watching the new Oz but finished it although never made it through any of the Pirate movies.

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks.

First off i would like to again thank everyone who replied to my above posted question. I would then like to follow that by saying in no way do I place any blame on anyone other then myself but for the record, there is no way i should have taken my seven year old to see Man of Steel, lol.

I'll try my best not to include actual spoilers in this post so people wanting to know if they should take a younger child can read it and i don't believe this to be a spoilers but let me warm you that the movie starts off with the birth of Kal-El.....literally the birth, a woman on a table screaming because she is giving birth to a baby, which started my son to whisper about 3 questions per five second intervals.

Q:Whats she doing? A:Having a baby
Q:Is she in pain? A:It hurts a little, yea
Q:What is she doing dad? A:i told you she is giving birth to Superman
Q:Is that man hurting her? A:No he is helping
Q:So she's having a baby? A:yes
Q:where is it coming from? A:......her stomach
Q:Her stomach?...you mean her tummy A:Yes her tummy
Q:How does it come out? A:......what?
Q:The baby, how does the baby come out of the girls tummy? A:.......um,....well.....lets watch the movie, ok?

Some people started shooting and thankfully he dropped it. We were doing ok until one guy stabbed another guy and that made him jump a little. He didn't really understand the flashback not knowing it was showing us younger versions of Superman and one part when Superman was just discovering his powers, the way the movie portrayed his X-ray vision really scared him, seeing a persons skeleton, heart, lungs was not a positive thing to see, especially since it was presented in such a gritty fashion but we got through that. He had some smarties and we were going along fine, even laughed at the mangled truck. He got spooked again with the robot guard in the space ship, didn't like that at all and then the first time Superman used his laser eye powers, i thought it looked fantastically real but that was the problem for him. Loved watching Superman fly, didn't like seeing them take blood from Superman but then the last third of the film with all the action he enjoyed for the most part until the ending which i wont give away but my son never saw it either since he was covering his eyes.

Overall i really liked the movie, it went in a completely different direction then i was expecting but it is rightfully rated PG-13 which is the youngest age i would take to this movie. I will end this post with one last piece of advice i very much hope other parents (fathers) will listen to, if you do decide to take your younger child to this movie, PLEASE whatever you do, MISS THE PREVIEWS. That was by far the most traumatic experience of this whole ordeal, it started out with the Hobbit but it only got worse with a buddy cop flick with Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington (looked really great to me) but a lot of fist fighting that didn't sit well with my son but the worst was the trailer for a Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges movie called RIP something and where my son saw a monster with multiple eyes and scary teeth. Maybe if he had missed that, he might not have been so on edge with everything else in the actually Man of Steel movie but i will never know.

This weekend i'll be taking him to that animated movie Epic in hopes he will forget about our Man of Steel experience, after the movie i took him to IHop for some pancakes and let him put as much syrup on them as he wanted which made him laugh. He and I actually shared some moments during the films father and son scenes which is the only reason i dont regret my decision to take him even more. We had a good time, he hasn't had any nightmares or anything and when he told his friends he went to see the new Superman movie with his dad he completely left out the part about being frightened and i for sure as hell didn't mentioned it.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #50
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I have a feeling your son is going to ask about how babies are born again soon. That's going to be an awkward conversation...
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #51
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
First off i would like to again thank everyone who replied to my above posted question. I would then like to follow that by saying in no way do I place any blame on anyone other then myself but for the record, there is no way i should have taken my seven year old to see Man of Steel, lol.
LOL. My dad took me to see John Carpenters The Thing and The Road Warrior in 1982 when I was 8. And I think when I asked him where babies come from around the same age, he said "Your moms ass."

Little known fact related to Superman. I was one of 3 finalists to play toddler Superman that lifts the car in the original 1978 film. I really wish I had won the part, then like 300 million people would have seen my dong. Alas I never did, and as a 3 year old that never realized his dong showing dreams, I fell into the depths of depression and developed a crippling addiction to Jelly Tots.

/coolstorybro
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 11:20 PM   #52
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
I have a feeling your son is going to ask about how babies are born again soon. That's going to be an awkward conversation...
It's only awkward if the parent makes it awkward. Don't all child experts pretty much agree that the best course is to tell them the truth at a level they'll understand? My parents never hid anything from me when I had questions and I think I turned out ok. It was painfully obvious during the first sex ed course in school which kids didn't have an honest conversation with their parents about child birth
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #53
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I loved the Dragonball type fight scenes. Not bad. I can't wait to see Batman and Superman together on screen. If they are really going to go through with this Justice League movie they should base it on the Identity Crisis story line. It's not a kid's storyline though.

Major disappointment was Lois Lane though. Why the hell would they cast Brandi from Storage Wars in her part??
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #54
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
The ending isn't what bugged me. On one hand I agree with Nolan about Superman's golden rule, on the other hand I thought Snyder sort of played the killing of Zod off well. Though the point my friend made was pretty valid, when Zod is laser eyeing the 4 people Superman breaks Zod's neck, yet Superman is throwing Zod through like 40 buildings in Metropolis which is killing tons more people.
Exactly. The whole "Superman's Golden Rule" is such a crock of BS. "OK, I won't kill this guy, but all the inhabitants of Metropolis that get wiped out while I'm saving his sorry skin? Well, that's just a bad place to stand."

This article, by engineers with too much time on their hands (likely since they don't have wives or girlfriends to go home to), estimates Superman's death toll at 129,000, with up to 1,000,000 more missing. Yeah, golden rule for sure.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/man-o...estimated.html

It's funny, as a kid, I was a huge DC guy. Didn't buy any Marvel titles, wouldn't have wiped my ass with a copy of X-Men. Now, I think Marvel has put DC to shame in the movie department (with the exception of The Dark Knight trilogy). As I said before, Man of Steel doesn't come close to measuring up to those movies, The Avengers or the first Iron Man.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #55
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I watched this in Miraflores, Lima a couple days ago for $5 on a much smaller screen and barely noticed the shaking. Guess it's much worse on a larger screen. But I certainly thought the movie was great.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #56
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Man of Steel better than Star Trek: Into Darkness. And I don't even really like Supes as much as Kirk et al.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM   #57
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
Regret
Ha, I wanted to tell you "don't take your boy to see this" but I was only basing that on the trailers. I figured the guys on here saying it was ok had already seen it and so they must know better than me.

I'm always a little surprised at what parents will take their kids to see but then again my oldest is only 4. I may change my tune in a few years.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:47 PM   #58
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Something neat that I didn't pick up on either time I saw the movie, but Canadian singer Allison Crowe is the woman singing Ring of Fire.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06...n_3461330.html
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #59
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Huh. I went last night believing that I was going to love the movie...I didn't. I can't put my finger on it. I liked the actors for the most part (not loving Diane Lane as Ma) but I think the story wasn't up to par. Nor was the direction. I can't wrap my head around a 'dark' Superman film I guess. I wanted to be shown more of his growing up, growing into his powers instead of the few flashbacks that were shown.

For me, Superman snapping Zod's neck felt so foreign at the end. Not something that Superman would ever do in my mind. Maybe it's growing up reading the comics. His behaviour wasn't just out of character - he seemed like a different character all together.

Someone mentioned seeing Superman and Batman on film together will be great. I don't think so. With all the building smashing, space flying, heat vision melting etc...Batman is going to take his Batarang and go home. How do you compete against Superman's skill set on film? I guess Marvel did it with Black Widow and Hawkeye but Batman is an icon, not really an ensemble player. As an action movie, I enjoyed it I guess. The first act of the movie on Krypton felt like Chronicles of Riddick and I enjoyed it. The middle act on earth was ok. The third act (Superman /Zod Smash) was painful because I wasn't connecting to the hero. I didn't hate it in the end but didn't love it and I'm a DC guy. I appreciate the attempt but didn't love the result. Try again boys. 6/10

Also, someone else mentioned the shakey camera. I didn't notice it at all.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #60
PegCityFlamesFan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. My dad took me to see John Carpenters The Thing and The Road Warrior in 1982 when I was 8. And I think when I asked him where babies come from around the same age, he said "Your moms ass."
Hahahha, this made me laugh tons. Sounds like my old man.