Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 PM   #61
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
I haven't read any of the posts because I'm going to see the movie tomorrow but I was hoping someone who had seen them movie could help me out. Would it be too scary for my seven year old son?

Keep in mind that he has already watched and enjoyed all three Jurassic Parks, the first two Ironman's, Thor, Captain America, both Hulks and of course the Avengers. I never let him watch the Green Lantern movie, he was a little scared while watching the new Oz but finished it although never made it through any of the Pirate movies.

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks.
Your seven year old son is going to be bored in this movie. There's absolutely nothing fun about it. It's a violent depressing mess.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #62
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

I kinda appreciated the fact that they didn't delve as much into his youth, since Smallville already covered it off quite well.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #63
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I really enjoyed it, liked it better than Star Trek: Into Darkness and WAY better than Iron Man 3, pretty high up in my list of super hero movies.

I didn't mind the flashbacks method of telling some of the story, though I think they dealt with Pa Kent a little too early, more emotional connection would have made the moment stronger, though I guess it was more about Clark.

Didn't like Lois Lane much, and the kiss was totally unbelievable (other than probably most women would probably like to kiss that guy given the chance), should have saved that for the sequel.

Loved how they did the "reveal" at the end.

Thought Cavill did a great job, even thought he channeled Reeve sometimes, sounding like what he would sound like, or having his mannerism. Not overt, but enough that it felt like a connection. Or maybe that's just seeing what I want to see.

The ending.. not sure. I guess I want to see where they go with it, it could be a great setup for future movies.

Anyone else notice the shot of the empty pod on the Kryptonian ship?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:03 AM   #64
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Made a point of seeing Man of Steel again the other day, this time in 2D, because I really, really hate 3D, really. I think it ruined it a bit for me the first time.

I don't care what other people think. I love that movie. Enjoyed it much more the second time around.

It has to be one of the worst reviewed really good movies. IMO anyways. There was maybe twice the whole movie where I could have done with a little less shaky camera because it was completely unnecessary. The rest of it was fine.

I get the controversy over the killing of Zod part (Spoiler Alert!!) But I'm OK with Goyer's reasoning. I'm not sure what the lesson in Jonathan's death is in this version, but if I had to choose I like the earlier versions lesson better.

The rest is just dandy. We haven't seen a Superman like this before, but this dude is still Superman.

In the Donner version he chucks a crystal into the ice to build a fortress, then a sweet montage occurs and BAM we have 100 percent Superman.

I like the idea that he is evolving and learning as he goes. If we get a few more films after this, I think he will try a little harder not to throw bad guys though an IHOP or a Sears, and maybe instead of dodging that fuel truck that Zod kicks at him and burns down a building, he will super breath out the flames to save a few Metropolites, and hopefully he wont steal anymore clothes.

Loved it.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sa226 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #65
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

Anyone else notice the shot of the empty pod on the Kryptonian ship?

All of the Easter Eggs are listed here, there are a few that I didn't catch even after watching the movie twice, and was pleasently surprised. There are no future spoilers in here, just speculation on what could possibly occur out of these events/sights.

Essentially this movie set up a lot of loose ends that could be wrapped up into a JLA movie.

Spoiler!
Old 07-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #66
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just hope they never cast Lex Luthor as a single main villain in a superman movie. It's really stupid and one of the main reasons i do not like Superman in the comics.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #67
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

What I don't get is now that they've done the Zod storyline, where do they go from here? Any Superman story involving kryptonite (which seems to be almost all of them) are incredibly boring, but how else do you challenge such an overpowered character?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #68
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
What I don't get is now that they've done the Zod storyline, where do they go from here? Any Superman story involving kryptonite (which seems to be almost all of them) are incredibly boring, but how else do you challenge such an overpowered character?
Superman is perceptible to mind control - that's all I have.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #69
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope they decide to a story where Lex Luthor is a politician/power hungry warlord rather than him being just an industrialist or mad scientist. I'd even go as far as to say they should make him the president. Have him turn the people of Metropolis (or the World) against Superman for the amount of destruction that already occurred in the first movie. Luthor can make a case that Superman might turn into Zod one day, and seek to conquer humanity at his own whim. Also obviously they've shown Superman is willing to kill in this universe, so Luthor can argue what's to stop Superman from killing people whenever he feels like it? Let's see Luthor and his genius level intellect at its best, rather than some campy villain that should be easily defeated within minutes.

I fully expect Luthor to be able to match what they did with Ledger in Dark Knight Rises; just by making him more of a psychological threat rather than merely a physical one. They really need to cast the perfect Luthor though, and I really don't have an idea of who fits the role right now.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #70
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I fully expect Luthor to be able to match what they did with Ledger in Dark Knight Rises; just by making him more of a psychological threat rather than merely a physical one. They really need to cast the perfect Luthor though, and I really don't have an idea of who fits the role right now.

Old 07-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #71
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a bad choice, but I think Foster is too young for the role, and it doesn't help that he's been in mostly terrible movies in recent years. Plus it needs to be someone who adds interest to the movie, and will sell tickets because of his name/stature alone (just like with Heath Ledger). Ben Foster won't accomplish that.

For some reason I think Fassbender would work as Luthor, but the German accent would need to go.

Last edited by trackercowe; 07-14-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #72
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
fyp
Old 07-14-2013, 05:37 PM   #73
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One problem with people's perception of Luthor is that 90% of their understanding of him is based on short pudgy Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey. The underground, well dressed criminal who really likes land.

That's the worst version of the character. Luthor should be at least as tall as Superman and be physically imposing himself. I think he should be a public figure. The CEO of Luthorcorp but also a philanthropist with political aspirations, and despite being charming and charismatic, he is evil to the core with an enormous ego.

Yeah Superman is really powerful, but since when does the guy have to be physically threatened to make a good story? There are plenty of stories to be told where it isn't Superman himself who is in the greatest danger.

Batman can beat the Joker in any fight and twice on Sundays, yet that is the best Hero\Villain pair going as far as I'm concerned.

There is a great Superman\Luthor story to be told.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #74
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Jor-El talked about humanity joining Kal in the sun, but I think they are going to continue with a character driven path where Superman has to find his way into the sun first, to become the man that everyone can look up to. I think that's why they ended with Zod the way they did. It'll be a story of Superman trying to find his place in and relationship with humanity, mistakes made along the way, and Luthor would be the perfect villain to exploit that, trying to turn humanity against Superman.

And maybe they'll come up with a way to make kryptonite not suck, if they're redefining the universe they can alter the properties of kryptonite somewhat to make it more interesting.

Or don't even use kryptonite, a big ray gun with the wavelengths of his red sun maybe (which I guess is kryptonite in another form), Superman's powers disappeared pretty fast on the Kryptonian ship.

Ultimately the problem with kryptonite isn't with kryptonite itself, it's with how Superman is defined, which is why character driven plots make more sense IMO.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #75
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I'd love to see a fist fight between Luthor and Superman after Supes had his powers drained by exactly what photon said, a red sun ray gun.. which has happened before in the comics multiple times.

Casting Luthor is going to be very tricky, this is a pivotal cast moving forward... it will make or break the franchise and could erase all of the success the first movie has had at the box office.

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see him as a big villain until the third movie.. with just a minor role/introduction in the second movie.

I would love to see Darkseid in one of the movies.. but something tells me that is more of a JLA villain.
Old 07-14-2013, 08:23 PM   #76
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I'd love to see a fist fight between Luthor and Superman after Supes had his powers drained by exactly what photon said, a red sun ray gun.. which has happened before in the comics multiple times.
Really?? Cool, they can send my $5 royalty check in the mail.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #77
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want to see Brainiac, but his story arc would be too similar to Zod's, who else aside from him and Luthor would work as villains in a Superman movie? Too early for Doomsday, Darksied is more of a JLA type villain like you said; really the only one who would work now is Lex Luthor. Metallo, Parasite, Mongul, Mxyzptlk, and even Bizarro wouldn't likely work in movie form, and the general audience likely wouldn't pay to see lesser known villains.

Pretty much guaranteed Luthor will be the villain, but I could see him branching over to the third movie in some form as well. Brainiac and Doomsday are possibilities as well, especially since I believe Nolan would want to take a shot at Brainiac specifically; dunno if the same can be said about Doomsday.

Last edited by trackercowe; 07-14-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #78
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Solomon Grundy is someone I would want to see (more so than Doomsday), but I don't see it happening.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #79
photon

Exp:

The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #80
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random rant below:

That was a really crappy movie, and I'm one of the biggest Superman fans I know.

When in Clark Kent's life does he decide to start "testing" his powers and understanding the true limits? Was it really in his late 20's/early 30's right before Zod makes an appearance or was that just terrible flow in the film and it was in fact much earlier?

Life lesson, your father tells you with a stern hand gesture not to save him during a tornado so you watch him die? The world is not ready? Please.

Lois and Clark fall in love after 15 minutes together? Wow.

Absolutely no flow in that film, the constant random flashbacks were boring and confusing.

Henry Cavill was a better Superman than Brandon Routh and he looked the part better too...agree with photon he did channel Chrisopher Reeves at times both in looks and mannerisms.

The CGI was insanely good even though the fighting scenes were a bit overdone.

Superman goes through a Kryptonian ship and kills almost every last Kryptonian without so much as a care...but snapping Zod's neck makes him cry? Was this because he was the last one left? I just don't get it.

Amy Adams was a terrible Lois Lane, so was Kate Bosworth...at this rate just stop including Lois Lane in the films if these are the adapatations you come up with.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote