Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Wireless City on Macleod Trail **UPDATE** NO LONGER STAFFED BY CREEPS

So I guess a few weeks ago my younger sister was having some problems with her cell phone and took it into this place to get it repaired. They took her phone and gave her a loaner phone after she gave them all of her information.

Fast forward to yesterday when she calls me to ask for some brotherly advice. Apparently she had just picked up her phone a few hours before and left the store. After she left the store, the rep who helped her started texting her and asking if she wanted to go out with him. She told him she had a boyfriend (she doesn't) but the guy kept texting her.

Now if I was still living in town, I would've shown up and had some words with him, but I told her to just call the guy's manager and report him. Can she threaten legal action? The guy obviously took her personal info and used it inappropriately. She's a little freaked out because she also left her address and other personal info there when she had to borrow the loaner phone..

Last edited by rubecube; 03-20-2009 at 05:40 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #2
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ah, the good ole privacy act. Although she probably doesn't have a case since she voluntarily gave them her phone, it would still be a good thing to text back to el creepo, along with an email to his employer to get the texts to stop.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is quite unproffesional. I would call the manager for sure. Using your job to try to get dates like that is way out of line.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fat guys with bats. That is all.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #5
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

At least he didn't give her a leg hump instead of a hand shake cause that might be taking things to far.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #6
DESS
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any pics of said sister?

Last edited by DESS; 03-19-2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: to add a creepy wink, lol
DESS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DESS For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Holy crap its a bear

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESS View Post
Any pics of said sister?
You wouldn't like her. She has two dogs.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
DESS
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
You wouldn't like her. She has two dogs.
Thanks for the warning.

Regarding your post, though, I think one text from the guy would have been fine if he was getting the right vibe from your sister; however, after she told him she wasn't interested it should have stopped. Very creepy indeed.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
Ah, the good ole privacy act. Although she probably doesn't have a case since she voluntarily gave them her phone, it would still be a good thing to text back to el creepo, along with an email to his employer to get the texts to stop.
This is absolutely a violation of the privacy act, because even though you gave the company this information you did not give the employee this information for personal use.

I think the fine is $2500 for the employee in question and much, much larger for the company. Not sure about the number, but I know the fine is pretty huge. Tell her to contact the store and point out the FIOP violation and want to know what they are going to do about it.

If they are willing to play ball, fire the guy and make your sister happy, then all is good. Otherwise she really doesn't have an option but to file a formal complaint.

FIOP violations are extremely serious. If they think this is acceptable then where do they draw the line about who they give your info to? How about an employee selling info to telemarketers? Selling info to an identity thief? People need to understand that your information is NOT for them to do what they want with.

Last edited by Rathji; 03-19-2009 at 02:38 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

The guy obviously has no balls as the creep factor would have been significantly less if he had asked her out in person.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #12
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agreed with Rathji - although since it's a private business, they fall under the Personal Information Privacy Act (PIPA), instead of FOIP (which governs public sector). http://pipa.alberta.ca/

He absolutely had no right to do this. I'd start with a call to the manager and if her concerns are not met with the manager, I'd escalate it with a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner for Alberta.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
Agreed with Rathji - although since it's a private business, they fall under the Personal Information Privacy Act (PIPA), instead of FOIP (which governs public sector). http://pipa.alberta.ca/

He absolutely had no right to do this. I'd start with a call to the manager and if her concerns are not met with the manager, I'd escalate it with a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner for Alberta.
I always make that mistake. Eventually I will realize the acts are separate.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #14
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
I always make that mistake. Eventually I will realize the acts are separate.
Meh, easy mistake. The acts aren't too different overall (though I do know there are some differences in timelines for disclosure of information) and they both are overseen by the Privacy Commissioner.
tete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #15
DESS
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You guys are freaking out way too hardcore on this. I really don't think this guy needs the privacy commission hounding him or to be fired, provided the texts have stopped.

How many texts exactly are we talking about here Rube?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You guys are freaking out way too hardcore on this. I really don't think this guy needs the privacy commission hounding him or to be fired, provided the texts have stopped.

Where do you draw the line? When he knocks on her door? When he shows up at her work? Accesses her billing info at her cellphone provider and uses that info to take out a loan in her name?
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #17
DESS
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Where do you draw the line? When he knocks on her door? When he shows up at her work? Accesses her billing info at her cellphone provider and uses that info to take out a loan in her name?
Um yes, I would draw the line at all those places.

For now all we know is he sent her an unknown number of texts which may or may not have stopped with content we know nothing about. I wouldn't say it's time to get this guy in trouble with his employer and the law just yet.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:58 PM   #18
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Doesn't matter, one is too many. You're missing the point (as I think you may have heard somewhere before). The information provided to the business is not the information of the employee and the employee has now exposed his employer to significant potential liability. If this guy wants to chat up the female customers while they're in the store, fine, hopefully his manager reprimands him for it there. This is a lot more insidious, and exactly the reason we have legislation like PIPA.

PS... Nice tags!!

Last edited by onetwo_threefour; 03-19-2009 at 03:00 PM.
onetwo_threefour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #19
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

How many did you send her?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Um yes, I would draw the line at all those places.

For now all we know is he sent her an unknown number of texts which may or may not have stopped with content we know nothing about. I wouldn't say it's time to get this guy in trouble with his employer and the law just yet.
DESS he crossed a line and behaved in appropriately. For that his employer needs to made aware and the discipline is at the employer's discretion.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy , fiyahd!!! , hey you in the bushes! , not edmonton (no really)