Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2023, 01:57 PM   #2921
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
The fun's already over, Apple's blocked it. While I wish there was normal interoperability with iMessage from Android trying to get around Apple's protections isn't the way to do it.

Agreed. I have no issue with iMessage itself but defaulting to SMS is pathetic and petty. They've finally agreed to implement RCS but a couple of years too late. Also, the blue bubble thing is pretty much North American thing anyways.

Just thought it was cool that a 16 year old hacked it when nobody else could.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 10:57 AM   #2922
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Just thought it was cool that a 16 year old hacked it when nobody else could.
Teenagers have been the bane of Apple's protections for a while. Remember George Hotz (geohot)? At 17 years old, he removed the SIM lock from an iPhone, and later released the blackra1n jailbreak. He was also the guy who exploited the PS3, then uncovered Sony's massive mistake in how they used public/private keys on the PS3, effectively guaranteeing that you could run whatever the hell you wanted on the console and Sony would be powerless to block it.

Bored and brilliant teenagers do some pretty impressive stuff.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 10:01 AM   #2923
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
If I had a vehicle that didn't have a pre-existing screen to integrate with, I would do something like what DoubleF is using for CarPlay.

Nah, I have spring-loaded Spigen CD-tray mounts in both vehicles that work a treat. I don't like magnetic mounts and some phone cases aren't very good for MagSafe. Plus I don't need to always be charging the device.

Typically so would I, but for my purposes, I'm doing an infotainment upgrade, so this 2-in-1 cable will essentially 'live' in the car and not be removed ever (routed from the rear navigation computer through interior panels, and exiting into the center console).
I have an archaic Nav system screen in my vehicle as well. It probably looks dumb with two screens going, but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
If you’re worried about it getting stolen probably best to get an in-dash unit installed. I got a Sony XAV put into my 2005 Prius a few years back and it has been great — helped with the new car itch too, now I can just wait for EV tech and supply chains to mature.
Also looks sleeker, but then you'd have to wire it in. Some cars are easy, others are PITA when it realizes it's not an OEM unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Yeah, those CarPlay, Android Auto displays are cool. Might be worth picking one up for the old car as i doubt I replace it in the next year. I do wish they were from more of a recognized name but good to know they work well. I currently just mount the phone but a permanent setup with wireless access would be great.

Is there any fear of these being stolen or are people removing them when not int he car?
I don't know about Vancouver vs Calgary, but here, I have no concerns here in Calgary. Someone broke into my car (or more likely one of my kids didn't close the door completely which blocked my ability to lock the car with the remote) and the screen wasn't stolen. They probably didn't know it was easy as hell to pop off the mount and didn't know what it was.

In your case you could easily pop it off the mount and put it into the glove if you had concern.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2023, 10:55 AM   #2924
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I have an archaic Nav system screen in my vehicle as well. It probably looks dumb with two screens going, but oh well.
If anything it looks more in line with what current cars look like, rocking more screens than tactile buttons.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2023, 10:27 AM   #2925
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Might be difficult to get Apple Watches in the short term. ITC ruling says Apple's blood oxygen feature on their watches violates another company's patents. Apple is pulling the Series 9 and Ultra 2 in the USA over the next few days. No word on Canada yet.

https://9to5mac.com/2023/12/18/apple...ultra-2-sales/
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 10:54 AM   #2926
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Thanks for that, I was just going to come here to ask if they go on sale for Boxing day or not since my wife wanted the series 9 and wondered if I should wait.. But went ahead and ordered off Amazon as they said there was only a few left.
Old 12-18-2023, 03:29 PM   #2927
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far, enjoying the 15 Pro. Is it a considerably huge upgrade over my 11 Pro?

... nah. But the battery life is nice, the screen refresh is pleasant to use, and having one cable type -- USB-C -- for all my things now is quite nice. Finding a new phone case identical to my old leather one was easy, and my only complaint is my screen protector didn't go on quite as nicely as it used to on my 11 Pro, but that might be a defect with the protector I bought.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2023, 02:54 PM   #2928
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do Apple products ever go on sale? Need an iPad mini for stupid Foreflight since they refuse to make an android version. Not seeing any early Black Friday deals yet in any of the sales that have already started. Is Apple one of those companies that just don't do discounts?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:00 PM   #2929
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Do Apple products ever go on sale? Need an iPad mini for stupid Foreflight since they refuse to make an android version. Not seeing any early Black Friday deals yet in any of the sales that have already started. Is Apple one of those companies that just don't do discounts?
You missed the Black Friday sales by a few weeks.
They were on sale and do go on sale but we are talking $20-$70 normally.
Old 12-21-2023, 04:03 PM   #2930
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Black Friday, boxing day, same thing
Old 12-21-2023, 04:23 PM   #2931
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Have you looked at getting a used one? I doubt you need the latest model.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 04:40 PM   #2932
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best Buy has some open box ones, might pull the trigger on one of them
Old 12-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #2933
photon

Exp:

Apple also has refubs, I've bought Apple refurbs a few time and they always look brand new to me.

$80 to $160 off depending on which model:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/refurb...-5-ipad-mini-6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2023, 05:07 PM   #2934
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Apple also has refubs, I've bought Apple refurbs a few time and they always look brand new to me.

$80 to $160 off depending on which model:

https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/refurb...-5-ipad-mini-6
Oh awesome, this might be the way to go. $919 for the 5G 256GB is about the most I would have expected from a sale anyway. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2023, 06:56 PM   #2935
photon

Exp:

Received an Apple watch for Christmas, and while I never usually use a case or screen protector with my phones, the top curve of the watch already has a bit of abrasion in the glass (though no idea from where), so maybe I'll get a screen protector for this.

Any recommendations? I can't really see a clear choice in tempered glass, maybe a normal flexible one is better in this case? I don't really want to get a whole case for it.
Old 12-26-2023, 07:17 PM   #2936
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got an Apple Watch too. It never occurred to me there would be a screen protector. I’ll have to look into that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 06:55 PM   #2937
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I bought these after getting a scratch on my new watch.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09K3T4467/

The downside is they are more fragile than the original screen. So I think I'm looking to get 3-6 months out of each one.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:24 PM   #2938
photon

Exp:

I ended up getting something similar, though not clear: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0B5ZY2QBN

So far I like it well enough. I hate the idea of spending lots of $$ on something like a phone or a watch then hiding it with cheap plastic. To the point that if I end up liking having a watch I might get an Ultra at some point just because I can get tempered glass screen protectors as the glass is flat.

My wife got one from LK which she likes, and LK seems to be a well known brand for these kinds of things: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09JSMWBKH
Old 03-21-2024, 11:01 AM   #2939
photon

Exp:

Quote:
A newly discovered vulnerability baked into Apple’s M-series of chips allows attackers to extract secret keys from Macs when they perform widely used cryptographic operations, academic researchers have revealed in a paper published Thursday.

The flaw—a side channel allowing end-to-end key extractions when Apple chips run implementations of widely used cryptographic protocols—can’t be patched directly because it stems from the microarchitectural design of the silicon itself. Instead, it can only be mitigated by building defenses into third-party cryptographic software that could drastically degrade M-series performance when executing cryptographic operations, particularly on the earlier M1 and M2 generations. The vulnerability can be exploited when the targeted cryptographic operation and the malicious application with normal user system privileges run on the same CPU cluster.
https://arstechnica.com/security/202...les-mac-chips/
Old 03-21-2024, 02:13 PM   #2940
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it possible to use a 2014 27" iMac solely as a display? A quick search suggests that this functionality may no longer be supported
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote