Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2017, 12:01 PM   #1
kaddy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Costco Tire Installation

We ordered winter tires and rims from costco.ca last week. The tires got delivered to the store (Crossiron) and the rims shipped to us (silly they do it this way).

They give us an option online to book an appointment, which is over 3 weeks in advance, even though they say they won't hold the tires more than 21 days.

I'm trying to figure out what time I'd have to go for a walk in during the morning to get them done. Costco tire center never answers their phones, so I have no idea.

Any idea what time I'd have to show up to get them done in the morning (weekday or weekend)?
kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:03 PM   #2
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When I bought my winter tires, they called me when they arrived in store to book an appointment. They seemed to want to get them out of the warehouse asap, so I didn't have to show up at 5am and pray.

The 'first-come, first-serve' option is horrible during change-over season. Might have died down a little by now, but I was told that people start showing up at 5am.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:16 PM   #3
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Costco has a different policy for anyone who buys tires/rims there. You don't have to wait in line like everyone else, you can schedule an appointment. If you didn't buy the tires there you could be waiting for hours. When you call just explain that you bought the tires there. They are usually really good at fitting you in once they determine you bought the tires there. Best time to call them seems to be when they open since they are crazy busy any other time especially in Nov/Dec
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was at the Costco at Okotoks last week and they said walk in starts at 6 am.... They have people lining up at 3:30........
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #5
kaddy
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I guess we'll book online and schedule an appointment for mid December, since that's probably going to be the earliest now, which sucks. I'll try calling in the morning to see if they can do something earlier (they haven't answered the 10 calls yet), no way in hell I'm lining up at 3:30am for this.
kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very timely as I am in the exact same process as you. I called the Heritage location and they said people line up around 4am for the 6am install. Mine are not winter tires and I can get by with what I have so I just booked for December 15.

I was unaware of this process when I bought the tires and will likely avoid them go forward.

Last edited by red sky; 11-16-2017 at 12:39 PM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The gong show started when they started doing installs for people who didn't buy tires/rims there. Before that you had to buy the tires there in order to get them installed there. If you bought them there should be no problem. If not, you could be waiting for hours
Old 11-16-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
I was at the Costco at Okotoks last week and they said walk in starts at 6 am.... They have people lining up at 3:30........
It takes 30 minutes to change your tires with the crappy sissor jack and your spare. Why would anyone wait in a 3 hr line.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:00 PM   #9
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not everyone can use ether and tire spoons to mount a set of loose wheels and tires.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems like such a savage process - are the savings really that much over other tire shops to justify this process?
Old 11-16-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I bought a set of winter tires from Costco two seasons ago. Back then they used to take appointments (Beacon Hill), and still had to wait abt 3 hours.

Never again. I saved $50 over Country Tire on Edm Trail.
Swaps there are $40 if you bought tires from them and $50 if you didn't. (shameless plug)
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

No engagement ring jokes yet? I am disappoint.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #13
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
seems like such a savage process - are the savings really that much over other tire shops to justify this process?
$60 to install mount and balance... Not a bad price. I found the same price at a place called Zacks Auto. Was in the shop for 45 minutes.... Had new tires and old rims.
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #14
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went last winter at 4am. Was 7th in line (Beacon Hill)
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
GC91
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I showed up at 6am one day in late October and was turned away. People line up verrry early.
GC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:04 PM   #16
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

IMO its much easier to have winter tires on their own set of rims, which makes switching them over in the spring/fall easy to do at home instead of having to wait hours lining up at a tire shop
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2017, 10:27 PM   #17
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

They would have to be paying me to get me to arrive at 3 am and wait in line for 3 hours.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:59 PM   #18
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Purchase quality all weather tires from a tire shop who installs and rotates for free and fixes flats - don't run them bald - drive slower when roads are in poor condition - and you will never have to wait in line at Costco again.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:36 PM   #19
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post

See: the line ups at the gas bar.
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #20
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If you don't make an appointment, you have to be there 30 min before they open. The line forms pretty fast and they accept about first 10 people. The rest have to make an appointment.
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote