Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #21
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
well for one, not everyone can afford to buy lots of awesome toys and junk.

and for those that can, maybe Christmas and raising their kids means more than lots of junk.

kids have too much crap to begin with. better to broaden their horizons and teach them something, and give great memories.
I respect those that dial back on too many toys and are travelling with their children.
Nah, I'm on board with the other guy. Sounds like they just planned a holiday they were going to take anyway and use it as an excuse to cop out on Christmas presents.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Cuz
Old 11-14-2017, 07:27 AM   #22
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Nah, I'm on board with the other guy. Sounds like they just planned a holiday they were going to take anyway and use it as an excuse to cop out on Christmas presents.

Its not about copping out on presents. The kids have travelled since they were 3 and 1.5 years old. They have seen many things that many adults haven't. They have always received a few presents at Christmas (more from the Grandparents) but have been given a better gift by seeing these far away places and learning about their culture. Now that they are 18 and 20 they are seasoned travellers and have a better understanding about how to travel on their own.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Its not about copping out on presents. The kids have travelled since they were 3 and 1.5 years old. They have seen many things that many adults haven't. They have always received a few presents at Christmas (more from the Grandparents) but have been given a better gift by seeing these far away places and learning about their culture. Now that they are 18 and 20 they are seasoned travellers and have a better understanding about how to travel on their own.
18 and 20? That is a little different as I think OP's question was about presents for kids. I agree traveling is fantastic but with our family, we always tried spending Christmas Eve and Day at home or with grandparents.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #24
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
18 and 20? That is a little different as I think OP's question was about presents for kids. I agree traveling is fantastic but with our family, we always tried spending Christmas Eve and Day at home or with grandparents.

My point being we have always done it this way since they were 1.5 and 3. Our Christmas Eve is usually near a beach with the family, grand parents and an another family who are like relatives to us.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:40 AM   #25
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
A recent shopping trip is now confirming that post rememberance day the buying stuff Christmas season is officially upon us.

After last year's lightsabre (known colloquially at my house as "the daddy bashing stick") debacle, I'm interested to hear what you will be getting your kids for Christmas.

Our youngest (age 2) is getting mostly cars I think (hot wheels plus some Disney ones). Our older son (not quite 4) is a bit trickier. Probably getting some Lego juniors stuff and the rest TBD.

What will you be getting your kids? What has been the best/most unexpectedly fun gift you've done in the past?
My kids are pretty close to yours in age.

Daughter (3.5) is getting a scooter. She's been asking for one for 3 months now, ever since her older cousin came over with hers.

Son (1.5) is getting some of the usual toddler toys.

Both of my kids love the magnetic building blocks. I got sick of paying $1 a piece for them on amazon.ca, so I ordered some from aliexpress. 158 pieces for $40 or so. Hope they are decent. (https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32716896118) if anyone is interested.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #26
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing. Since they will get better presents on Boxing Day.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This will be the first year where I'm not buying gifts for anyone.

My one Nephew is in university, and the other in grade 11, so they're too old for Christmas gifts. I'm on the outs with two of my sisters and haven't talked to them for a couple of years, so I'm not getting them anything. My other sister and I have decided not to exchange gifts. I'll probably get a nice gift certificate for my parents at a nice restaurant, but that will take 30 seconds of thought.

I don't have kids, but if I did, a new lawnmower and a nice set of gardening tools, and if they've been really good a set of paint brushes and 10 cans of varnish for the fence.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #28
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Son age 7
- "Santa" gets lego dimensions, parents get new Gaudreau Jersey, sister gets him lego ninjago set

Daughter age 11
- "Santa" gets art kit, parents get new skis, brother gets new equestrian riding helmet

plus about $400 worth of stocking stuffers (not really but man that crap adds up)

Wifes getting plane ticket to DC to visit sister and new Nephew/Niece

I'll probably get a pair of socks and a headache
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #29
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My teenagers only want cash.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:43 AM   #30
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all the grumps here, I'm surprised I'm the first to say: "a lump of coal, if they're lucky"
Old 11-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #31
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am loading my kids up with frankensence and myhrr
Old 11-14-2017, 12:46 PM   #32
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
My teenagers only want cash.
Good taste in music
Old 11-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #33
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

For Christmas eve each kid with us (this year will be our daughter and two teenage nieces) gets a Christmas Eve box. It contains new pj's, a book, a
couple snacks, an iTunes card for the teenagers, and some little doohickey/toy thingy. Always a hit, and they get them right after Christmas Eve dinner which is always something really awesome (prime rib and crab this year).

We take it light on toys Christmas day, it seems the relatives load all the kids up so we usually only buy two toys. This year the 4 year old wants Trolls. Trolls it is, and some markers/colouring books or the like.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #34
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

The 3 year old will likely get some interactive Paw Patrol toys and lots of new books.

The almost 14 year old has embraced the nerd hobby that is Magic the Gathering and I will reinforce that by getting her Commander decks or an anthology set. I'll admit that the gift is half for me...
Old 11-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #35
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Santa elves is building my 3.5 yo son a 4x8 ft train table painted with Thomas and Friends logo as well as some rivers, fields, mountains etc.

Mr and Mrs Claus have already purchased the Tidmouth Sheds and some Ravensburg puzzles off Ebay which have already arrived at the North Pole and are being hidden in Mr and Mrs Claus's basement until Christmas Eve.

I believe Mrs Santa has also secured some items at the Elvish Gap for our growing giant but I am unaware of those details.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #36
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 18 year old is getting this because I’m living my life vicariously through him.

edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 01:36 PM   #37
edn88
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

11 year old - new baseball glove, books
6 year old - hockey shoulder pads, maybe a new scooter
Old 11-14-2017, 01:53 PM   #38
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

My son is almost 11 and desperately wanted a Nintendo Switch. He paid for half and his present was the other half. I also ponied up for the extra controller and a game, but whatever.

Now to decide between the "Meh" mug or the Mario Bros heat changing mug for a stocking stuffer. The kid is addicted to hot chocolate. Don't judge me.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:54 PM   #39
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
With all the grumps here, I'm surprised I'm the first to say: "a lump of coal, if they're lucky"
Metallurgical coal.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #40
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Contributions to his college fund.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote