Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #21
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
Considering this was their land first I'm all for it.
Does this point of view apply to your land and home as well? If a native stopped by your home and demanded to use the land that you “stole”, what would you do?

Remember, it WAS their land at some point in history.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to llwhiteoutll For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #22
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
Does this point of view apply to your land and home as well? If a native stopped by your home and demanded to use the land that you “stole”, what would you do?

The whole "their land" thing is such a BS argument. They came to this land at some point too, potentially took it from someone or another tribe, it was captured/recaptured in wars, etc. We came here and did the same thing, tough titties. This isn't a practice of calling "dibs" on land. Look at Europe and Africa, there isn't some game of "who had it first gets moral rights to it forever".

They have the land and rights agreed to in the treaties that stopped any further hostilities between nations (both native and Canadian), but somehow right now everyone feels ultra-sensitive to their rights and basically we'll give them anything they want for fear of being culturally insensitive.

They can rename their reserves and towns to whatever they so please, but they gave up rights to our sovereign nation when they signed the treaties.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #23
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post

I'm confused.

I don't see any where in the article where it says that Calgary lands should be returned to them?

Even so, you have to separate government lands form private lands. I'm guessing, from your statement, you believe reparations don't need to be made and the first nations need to move on from the unjust treatment they have and continue to receive.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:28 AM   #24
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay, they can call it whatever they want. It does affect you when they start moving nonsense like this through the courts and holding public hearings. It's costly and pointless.
Pointless to you and me maybe. I’m not to concerned about the cost, plenty of money has been spent doing things that benefit people other than me, this wouldn’t register as different to me.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #25
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to admit on the sea to sky highway I do like the highway signs that have both names on them. Much like the Nakoda word for Canmore, it's interesting to read the signs and a good gesture to the heritage of the land at minimal cost.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:30 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Well then, go Wichispa Oyade Flames!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #27
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

We don't even use, say, the german name for Germany when speaking in English. Places can have different names in different languages.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #28
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
I wonder if there are any Celts that want all Roman named cities in England renamed to something in Gaelic and what kind of traction that would get.

Civilizations have claimed land, taken it from someone else, had it taken back or lost it to someone else since the dawn of time. Why is it so different here? Is it because it's only been a couple hundred years? Did ancient England go through the same struggles after the same time period only to have it fade away with history as the centuries went by?
You are comparing the modern world to medieval England?

The issue in Canada is not just about lands, its about a systemic genocide inflicted on the First Nations since day one. If you, or your people, have in recent history suffered the consequences of the government you'd also be sympathetic to the FNs.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #29
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Once you get outside of Vancouver metro a lot of the road signs bear both English and First Nations names in BC. I like it actually.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #30
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pointless to you and me maybe. I’m not to concerned about the cost, plenty of money has been spent doing things that benefit people other than me, this wouldn’t register as different to me.
The people it would benefit would benefit much more from the cash in hand than a pointless name change. The evidence of this would come when you say, sure, we will go ahead and change the name for you....here's your bill.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #31
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
We don't even use, say, the german name for Germany when speaking in English. Places can have different names in different languages.

True, but this isn't the same thing.

The British came and settled the land. Calgary doesn't mean town on the 2 rivers or whatever. It's some tiny hamlet in Scotland that Macleod happened to be vacationing in before coming out west.

It's not the same name in two languages.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #32
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 09:52 AM   #33
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
The whole "their land" thing is such a BS argument. They came to this land at some point too, potentially took it from someone or another tribe, it was captured/recaptured in wars, etc. We came here and did the same thing, tough titties. This isn't a practice of calling "dibs" on land. Look at Europe and Africa, there isn't some game of "who had it first gets moral rights to it forever".

They have the land and rights agreed to in the treaties that stopped any further hostilities between nations (both native and Canadian), but somehow right now everyone feels ultra-sensitive to their rights and basically we'll give them anything they want for fear of being culturally insensitive.

They can rename their reserves and towns to whatever they so please, but they gave up rights to our sovereign nation when they signed the treaties.
Oral histories of treaty 7 say that the natives did not cede land whereas the English written copies state they did. There are journals at the time that back up the oral histories. So stating they ceded the land is not necessarily correct.

That said if the land was not ceded the land would have been taken one way or another.

Also there was no concert of owning land in Native culture so the concept of their land is a colonial white creation.

Last edited by GGG; 11-13-2017 at 09:57 AM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #34
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Oral histories of treaty 7 say that the natives did not cede land whereas the English written copies state they did. There are journals at the time that back up the oral histories. So stating they ceded the land is not necessarily correct.

That said if the land was not ceded the land would have been taken one way or another.
Exactly. If they disagree, they should feel free to re-declare war on our Nation and win it back for theirs. I would imagine they won't.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #35
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Exactly. If they disagree, they should feel free to re-declare war on our Nation and win it back for theirs. I would imagine they won't.
So, how do you feel about reparations?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #36
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
True, but this isn't the same thing.

The British came and settled the land. Calgary doesn't mean town on the 2 rivers or whatever. It's some tiny hamlet in Scotland that Macleod happened to be vacationing in before coming out west.

It's not the same name in two languages.
'Germany' is not a literal translation of 'Deutschland' either, but they have the same meaning now because they refer to the same thing.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #37
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This doesn't have anything to do with language. They want to change Canmore into a reference to a story about a guy who thought he saw a wolf in the woods. So the guy shot an arrow in there, and realized it was the shadow of a tree, so the arrow just sort of ricocheted and flumped down on the ground. I'm guessing he then stood there for a while before saying, 'Well, crap.' and looked around to make sure no one was watching.

This is whale sized trolling by the Nakoda.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #38
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they want to change the name of Canmore I am fine with that; however, I would likely continue to refer to it as Canmore, or some messed up pronunciation of the historic name which is likely disrespectful.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #39
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's the culturally appropriate name for Edmonton then?

'Place where Buffalo takes a dump'
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
So what's the culturally appropriate name for Edmonton then?

'Place where Buffalo takes a dump'
And their mayor is now called Dances in Sweatpants.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: