Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2016, 05:19 PM   #2241
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not necessarily. If the "potential" includes massive dams flooding huge areas, and we have chosen not go that route, I don't see it as sad. It's just a number, and without looking into it, it's tough to say if it is sad or not.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:25 PM   #2242
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well 900 installed when 12,000 is potentially available is bloody sad.
Not really, with no context on why it isn't available (over-damming, lining rivers with in situ generation) it's understandable. Plus with the group being called the Canadian Hydropower Association, you could easily imagine skewing data like that pushes their motive.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:35 PM   #2243
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Not necessarily. If the "potential" includes massive dams flooding huge areas, and we have chosen not go that route, I don't see it as sad. It's just a number, and without looking into it, it's tough to say if it is sad or not.
Plus most of that potential is in the north of Alberta, so we'll need to build a significant amount of HVDC lines to get the electricity to the population centers.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #2244
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Much of hydro in Manitoba is generated up north as well. Sort of eliminates the problem with flooding huge areas.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #2245
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Much of hydro in Manitoba is generated up north as well. Sort of eliminates the problem with flooding huge areas.
Ish but not really. You get a few dozen ducks covered in oil and hippies flip their cracker. What would the backlash be for flooding a boreal forest bed and eliminating food sources for all the animals that live there?
Old 04-11-2016, 08:53 PM   #2246
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Apparently there is none. From what I can tell, and I haven't lived here all my life, the bigger backlash seems to be the way Manitoba Hydro handles building the power lines.

Nobody really seems to care about the water being damned, or even Lake Winnipeg being polluted with crap. And if they do care, well blame those hog farmers!

Of course, the city of Winnipeg dumping raw sewage isn't a big problem either.

Crazy province I live in. And soon we'll be the only province in Canada with a conservative government. Go figure.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2016, 10:12 PM   #2247
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Ivison: Trudeau convinced that pipeline strategy must be top priority

John Ivison | April 11, 2016 6:52 PM ET

Justin Trudeau has told his senior lieutenants to draw up plans to make the Energy East pipeline and the Trans Mountain expansion in British Columbia a reality.

The prime minister has been convinced by his finance minister, Bill Morneau, and other influential voices around the cabinet table that the pipelines have to be built to achieve the ambitious economic growth targets his government has set...

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...e-top-priority

---

This is REALLY good to hear. Let's hope he's successful. That would be really huge for our province and our city.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:51 PM   #2248
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cool, thanks. Does the negative value for interchange indicate we are exporting, or importing?

Nevermind, RTFM and see negative is imports.
It's bizarre to see AB imports at this time of day. Must be a lot of coal offline.

Last edited by DoubleK; 04-11-2016 at 10:54 PM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 AM   #2249
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
That's what I was thinking too, but maybe they need to maintain some level of flow for the grid to be stable. No idea how it works, but we seam to have a ton of spare capacity, so their must be another reason.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:48 AM   #2250
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^
That's what I was thinking too, but maybe they need to maintain some level of flow for the grid to be stable. No idea how it works, but we seam to have a ton of spare capacity, so their must be another reason.
Long story short we always run a high amount of backup capacity, and the larger that capacity is, the safer our system is overall.

For example if our grid was small, and a large generation facility was shut down or tripped out, we may notice a swing in voltages and frequency which could damage equipment. Plus with certain facilities it isn't feasible to shut theme down. Coal can take hours to start up.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:37 AM   #2251
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But it looks like we have lots of spare capacity elsewhere, so why pay to import it?
Old 04-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #2252
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But it looks like we have lots of spare capacity elsewhere, so why pay to import it?
Could be that they're getting that electricity cheaper than anywhere in AB is offering to produce it at. Plus it keeps us connected to BC, SK and Montana. Bigger grid =better.

Read the first reply in this thread, it gives a pretty simple explanation of load characteristics on generators and their effect on frequency and voltage:

http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...the-power-grid

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 04-12-2016 at 08:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 08:14 AM   #2253
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
John Ivison: Trudeau convinced that pipeline strategy must be top priority

John Ivison | April 11, 2016 6:52 PM ET

Justin Trudeau has told his senior lieutenants to draw up plans to make the Energy East pipeline and the Trans Mountain expansion in British Columbia a reality.

The prime minister has been convinced by his finance minister, Bill Morneau, and other influential voices around the cabinet table that the pipelines have to be built to achieve the ambitious economic growth targets his government has set...

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...e-top-priority

---

This is REALLY good to hear. Let's hope he's successful. That would be really huge for our province and our city.
If it turns out to be accurate, color me pleasantly surprised. This would be a great boon to the Canadian economy for decades.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #2254
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Both Notley and Trudeau have been impressing me on this file.

The consultations and delays just made me think "same old", but their conclusions and actions align with my viewpoints.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #2255
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Harper talked a lot about needing a pipeline too. Lets see what gets done first.

Granted, at least this is in Confederation territory, so it has that going for it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 08:45 AM   #2256
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys pushing hydro need to read up on the Site C expansion in Northern BC. Now that is a real political sideshow worse than any pipeline protest (except insert something else for side).
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:24 AM   #2257
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, hydro is clean and pure and has no consequences:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_...nmental_impact

"However, the dam flooded archaeological and cultural sites and displaced some 1.3 million people, and is causing significant ecological changes, including an increased risk of landslides.[20] The dam has been a controversial topic both domestically and abroad.[21]"
Old 04-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #2258
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You guys pushing hydro need to read up on the Site C expansion in Northern BC. Now that is a real political sideshow worse than any pipeline protest (except insert something else for side).
Is the controversy mostly because it is near Dawson Creek and the high density of anti-development people who live in the area?
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 09:44 AM   #2259
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Is the controversy mostly because it is near Dawson Creek and the high density of anti-development people who live in the area?
No, it is mainly due to aboriginal concerns.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #2260
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't they flood a bunch of good farmland too?