Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #1681
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'll be using Nexus twice in the next month. Going to Vegas in a few weeks then Florida next month.

Having not been to the US since i got my card, this will be the first time I use it for cross border travel and first time I've ever used the new terminal.

Anything I should know?

I presume there is clear signage and such and the kiosks are pretty straight forward.

CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:54 AM   #1682
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'll be using Nexus twice in the next month. Going to Vegas in a few weeks then Florida next month.

Having not been to the US since i got my card, this will be the first time I use it for cross border travel and first time I've ever used the new terminal.

Anything I should know?

I presume there is clear signage and such and the kiosks are pretty straight forward.
I think the signage is pretty clear.

You're using terminal E. There's no trusted traveller security line, but you can use the queue jump.

Once you're through security, head to the far right wall, that's where the global entry machines are.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STeeLy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #1683
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Your avatar makes it somewhat difficult to take this as objective. However, as one point: if everyone is rude to you, then the odds are extremely high that you are the problem and not everyone else.

It's also interesting that you are judging the airlines based only on how they react when you complain. Myself, I've had better experiences with AC on boarding, service, support, food options, timeliness of departure and when forced to make schedule changes.
I agree with you. In the last 3 years all my Air Canada flights have been better experiences than my WJ flights. Prior to that WJ gave better experience.

Ever since we were flying with WestJet and they held the plane waiting for 3 people who were connecting, for 45 minutes(!!), causing my party and about 30 other people on the plane to miss their connections because WestJet wouldn't hold that plane for us... I have not been fond of them since.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #1684
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Your avatar makes it somewhat difficult to take this as objective.
I can see where you're coming from there...I just like the look of their new 737 MAX (particularly that winglet shot), and I didn't have an avatar at all, haha.

Quote:
However, as one point: if everyone is rude to you, then the odds are extremely high that you are the problem and not everyone else.

It's also interesting that you are judging the airlines based only on how they react when you complain. Myself, I've had better experiences with AC on boarding, service, support, food options, timeliness of departure and when forced to make schedule changes.
Agree to disagree, I suppose. I'm nothing but pleasant to all airline staff, because I understand the #### they have to deal with on a daily basis. I find it interesting that you're judging me having never met me in person, but whatever.

But I've had friendlier service than AC from WestJet, Cathay Pacific, KLM, Lufthansa, and as hard as it is to believe, even United! When most AC staff I deal with are rude with every customer within earshot of me, and make no effort to deliver friendly service, I doubt they enjoy their job very much. But hey, union benefits...

I'm not afraid to admit, I'm biased towards Air Canada. But I'm judging them not in conflict resolution, but on overall experience. And that's based on years of flying with various airlines across the world, in all of the areas that you mentioned.

Their pilots are great (well, except maybe the guy who tried to land on a taxiway at SFO, lol), and no doubt, their aircraft are new, clean and well maintained. But of every airline I've ever flown, when it comes to overall experience, and especially customer service, Air Canada has been the worst.

No airline is perfect, and I never said WestJet is. I've just had a better overall experience with them compared to AC. And pretty much everyone I know shares that opinion...you've obviously had a better experience, which is fine. Maybe I just have bad luck with them, lol.

But, I digress. Let's be honest, flying sucks, no matter what airline you choose. Every airline has their pros and cons...just have to pick the least of all the evils on any given day, I guess.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 11:15 AM   #1685
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
I can see where you're coming from there...I just like the look of their new 737 MAX (particularly that winglet shot), and I didn't have an avatar at all, haha.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. I'm nothing but pleasant to all airline staff, because I understand the #### they have to deal with on a daily basis. I find it interesting that you're judging me having never met me in person, but whatever.

But I've had friendlier service than AC from WestJet, Cathay Pacific, KLM, Lufthansa, and as hard as it is to believe, even United! When most AC staff I deal with are rude with every customer within earshot of me, and make no effort to deliver friendly service, I doubt they enjoy their job very much. But hey, union benefits...

I'm not afraid to admit, I'm biased towards Air Canada. But I'm judging them not in conflict resolution, but on overall experience. And that's based on years of flying with various airlines across the world, in all of the areas that you mentioned.

Their pilots are great (well, except maybe the guy who tried to land on a taxiway at SFO, lol), and no doubt, their aircraft are new, clean and well maintained. But of every airline I've ever flown, when it comes to overall experience, and especially customer service, Air Canada has been the worst.

No airline is perfect, and I never said WestJet is. I've just had a better overall experience with them compared to AC. And pretty much everyone I know shares that opinion...you've obviously had a better experience, which is fine. Maybe I just have bad luck with them, lol.

But, I digress. Let's be honest, flying sucks, no matter what airline you choose. Every airline has their pros and cons...just have to pick the least of all the evils on any given day, I guess.
I think you will find, that as West Jet expands their horizons and increases their number of aircraft and passengers, customer service will change too. Maybe not, but the odds of interacting with crabby and difficult customers increases, and sometimes customer service goes down as a result.

I found that about 10 years ago, customer service with AC increased dramatically and since then, they are my airline of choice.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #1686
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post

This is entirely personal preference. Personally I would fly AC 100% of the time given the choice between WJ and AC. Domestic flights, the difference is pretty negligible, but internationally WJ can't compete with AC offerings both in terms of routes, and aircraft used. WJ also doesn't have anything equivalent to AC's international business class.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #1687
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
This is entirely personal preference. Personally I would fly AC 100% of the time given the choice between WJ and AC. Domestic flights, the difference is pretty negligible, but internationally WJ can't compete with AC offerings both in terms of routes, and aircraft used. WJ also doesn't have anything equivalent to AC's international business class.
This, a 1000 times over.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #1688
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I think you will find, that as West Jet expands their horizons and increases their number of aircraft and passengers, customer service will change too. Maybe not, but the odds of interacting with crabby and difficult customers increases, and sometimes customer service goes down as a result.
Yup, I fully expect the same thing to happen with WS. They're already not nearly as good as they used to be, and the growth isn't going to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Absolutely...WS is just now entering the international market. AC has more experience, an established name, and more and larger aircraft, not to mention the power of Star Alliance. Just look at how WestJet's 767 fiasco went...people expected things to run like clockwork, and it obviously didn't.

When we fly domestically, we'll pick WS over AC every time, unless there's a huge difference in price. But like you said, it's strictly personal preference. Everyone has a different opinion, different experiences, and everything.

But when it comes to international, I'll never fly WS, unless they manage to step up their game, and earn a proven track record of doing so. But internationally, we've found KLM and Lufthansa to be far better than AC. And I don't think anyone can beat Singapore Airlines or Emirates.

I would hope that WestJet comes closer with the 787's to what AC can do internationally, especially when it comes to business class. I've only flown business a couple of times, and it's a step up for sure. International business class on Singapore or Emirates is like being in a whole different universe. My wallet doesn't appreciate it, though.

Last edited by Stealth22; 10-04-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #1689
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I could not care at all about whether a gate agent smiles at me, or whether someone tells
Some corny-assed joke while you are getting a safety demonstration. All I care about is routes, comfort, entertainment options in flight, price, and a little bit about food offerings depending on the length of flight. Westjet is dollar for dollar the same price now, and air Canada has them beat in every other aspect. Even Air Canada Rouge that sucks big time is light years ahead of Westjet Encore. I can only imagine how terrible swoop will be.

Westjet 's marketing is really starting to rub me the wrong way. Right up there with Tim Hortons and their fake Canadiana. 10-15 years ago they were a small business who cared about their employee, passengers, and the value proposition. Now they are no different than the other big carriers. There's nothing wrong with that either, but cut the BS out. Everyone knows what you are now.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #1690
lucky1
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Westjet is just one small step away from being a full fledged member of the Skyteam Alliance - though not as strong as Star Alliance, there are some heavy hitters in skyteam such as KLM and Delta. This will go a long way in assisting WJ in establishing their International presence - KLM is slowly becoming the go to airline for travel in europe and international destinations - Schipol is such a great airport to navigate, and with daily flights from YYC, YVR and YEG
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #1691
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Even Air Canada Rouge that sucks big time is light years ahead of Westjet Encore.
Rouge and Encore serve two completely different markets.

Encore = AC Express (formerly Jazz)
Old 10-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #1692
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jazz hasn't gone anywhere, they're still 2/3 of AC Express.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Even Air Canada Rouge that sucks big time is light years ahead of Westjet Encore. I can only imagine how terrible swoop will be.
You need not imagine as the pitch and comfort of a 189 seat 738 is not unknown, and many would say it's better than the affront to humanity known as Rouge 319. It's not even close, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
Westjet is just one small step away from being a full fledged member of the Skyteam Alliance
Source? I suppose it depends on what one considers a "small step", but nobody I know in this industry considers them to be on the the brink of joining of SkyTeam.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #1693
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post

I found that about 10 years ago, customer service with AC increased dramatically and since then, they are my airline of choice.
This is it entirely. Westjet, the plucky underdog regional third carrier had amazing service. It needed to to compete against Air Canada and Canadian. Westjet the national/international carrier that is going head to head with Air Canada is not the same thing. I'll still fly them - my next trip is on WestJet - but if prices are close or if the flight is >3 hours, Air Canada is by far my preferred option.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #1694
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

If I lived in Calgary I probably would be a huge WestJet supporter. As an Atlantic Canadian I tend to lean toward Air Canada.

(1) I've had better customer service with Air Canada. When things go sideways Air Canada has treated me well; WestJet didn't seem to give a frack.

(2) If things go wrong, Air Canada has the network support to be able to more quickly problem solve. This has not only been my experience but that of friends of mine. If WestJet flies 1-2 flights a day into your city, compared to 5-6 of Air Canada, who do you think can accommodate IRROPS better?

(3) I've had stellar service from WestJet, I've had stellar service from Air Canada. I've had bad from each. In fact, I've found airport staff from WestJet far worse than Air Canada.

(4) Aeroplan > WestJet dollars. I'm curious what Air Canada's loyalty program will be come 2020.

(5) I get to fly on cool different planes with Air Canada, WestJet is always a 737 or Q400.

That said, I've never chatted with Calvin Rovinescu about wearing a kilt in a bathroom. I can't say the same about Gregg Saretsky.

I've never had a less than overly friendly flight attendant on WestJet, always 120% awesome.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son

Last edited by Maritime Q-Scout; 10-09-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #1695
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The swing gates at YYC, gates 70 to 73, are hilarious at times. I'm sitting at the lounge overlooking the walkway for 71/72/73 waiting for our flight to Vegas which departs from 72. A Westjet flight just came into 73 and apparently a bunch of the passengers are connecting onto that Vegas flight and they have to walk past gate 72 in the ramp walkway. Some of the passengers saw the signs indicating their Vegas flight so instead of going to the exit of the walkway and through US Customs they just started going down the ramp to 72 although the doors down the gangway were still closed. They came back up to the main walkway and just started hanging out outside of 72. Finally a gate agent and a CBSA officer came over to them to explain what they had to do. It looks like one guy got really annoyed with the whole process and started yelling at them and pointing at his boarding pass and gate 72. He obviously didn't realize he had to disembark into the C concourse and clear customs and go to the US version of gate 72.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #1696
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I suppose pre-clearance is somewhat counter-intuitive, in that you clear US customs while in Canada. The swing gates do suck, but IMO the situation you described (which happens daily, depending on gate configurations) is entirely a fault of WS and not of the airport - and I've been the biggest critic of the 70-73 nightmare since it opened.

WS knows how many people have onward US connections and are repeatedly doing a terrible job of explaining to people that they have to pre-clear.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:41 AM   #1697
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I support WestJet because I'm a slave to the WestJet mastercard and my relentless pursuit of WestJet dollars
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #1698
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Given the choice of AC or WJ I always choose WJ. I have not had good experience with check-in/gate agents for AC. Rude people!

AC has lost my bag 4 times now. WJ not once.

If I am done business and want to return early, WJ has never charged me to switch a flight. AC has each time I asked.

Overall I like the planes better with AC and their routes work better for me quite often.

(my experiences are limited to North American routes)
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #1699
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

WestJet just announced WestJet Link in partnership with Pacific Coastal. YYC to Lethbridge, Lloydminster, Medicine Hat, Cranbrook, and Prince George. Service starting in March with Saab 340 aircraft.

Last edited by Bigtime; 11-24-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #1700
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty significant capacity bump for these markets (other than Prince George) in that they all go essentially from 19 seaters (B1900's for the most part with AC) to 34 seats including Plus seating. And while WS does not have an aircraft in this class so really could not run this internally it also seems like taking this expansion outside the company could also be seen as sending a message to its pilots and their recent decision to unionize. Maybe I'm reading too much into it but Encore unionizes and the next round of domestic expansion goes to a non union outside company via a partnership. Painting the planes in WestJet colors is going a lot further than a simple codeshare with a different airline.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc