Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #261
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
These prequel/origin movies also rarely do well. Just going through this list of prequels and none of them are especially good:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prequels

Anyways, I really hope this encourages Disney to make some changes from the TLJ. I also hope this encourages them to be a bit more creative with the franchise and tell stories outside of the OT sandbox.
I think they're already headed in that direction with Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy, as well as another separate series/trilogy helmed by the Game of Thrones guys. From everything I've read so far, both of these trilogies will involve completely new stories and characters that take place outside of the main saga.

http://time.com/5045736/upcoming-star-wars-movies/
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:15 AM   #262
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I think they're already headed in that direction with Rian Johnson's upcoming trilogy, as well as another separate series/trilogy helmed by the Game of Thrones guys. From everything I've read so far, both of these trilogies will involve completely new stories and characters that take place outside of the main saga.

http://time.com/5045736/upcoming-star-wars-movies/
They also had potential Boba Fett, Yoda, and Obi Wan movies on the docket. Quite frankly, I learned enough about Boba Fett and Obi Wan's origins from the prequel movies. Yes, there is 20 year gap in between the prequels the TOS, but I like the idea of Obi Wan hiding in a cave and acting as guardian to Luke, following his seemingly disastrous decision to train Anakin. I really don't need to a see a movie about Obi Wan battling sand people. Having Obi Wan anywhere but in somewhat close proximity to Luke really doesn't make sense either.

I do think D&D could do a pretty great job with their own trilogy. I do have some reservations though, as the GoT stuff they write is clearly a step down from the stuff that is spoon fed to them by GRRM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #263
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Spoiler!
Yeah, lazy writing. There's a ton of ways they could have had that in the scene that would have been natural to communicate what they wanted to.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:33 PM   #264
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The name sure doesn't help. "Solo: A Star Wars Story" sounds like a made for TV biopic. Should have gone with Falcon Force Five.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 12:37 PM   #265
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The name sure doesn't help. "Solo: A Star Wars Story" sounds like a made for TV biopic. Should have gone with Falcon Force Five.

Solo: The Sex Life of a Star Wars Fan Story.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #266
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw it. I liked pretty much everything except Han, who unfortunately is the entire movie. I know I’m just being a snob but Harrison Ford can’t be replaced. He just can’t. I also don’t think Han Solo’s back story was an overly interesting topic to begin with, so I think that may be why we don’t see the mainstream appeal or big box office numbers. I never watched the original trilogy and thought “I really have to know where Han came from” even though he was my favourite character in the OT.

That said, Woody Harelson’s character was way better than I expected him to be. Chewbacca was well done, although I thought they made him into a bit too much of an animal in the scene where he met Han. Lando’s wardrobe wasn’t my favourite but I thought Donald Glover captured his character pretty well. Qi’ra was a cool character and I actually really loved Dryden Vos. I thought he was a cool villain and the tie in with him and Qi’ra added an interesting dynamic to the film.

Also, for those of you who were surprised by
Spoiler!
I really encourage you to watch The Clone Wars series as that explains a lot of what happened. Don’t discount it because it’s animated, it’s a very good series and I thought it was really cool they found a way to tie it into this movie.

Overall I’d give it a 6/10. It had potential but seeing someone else as Han.... it just pulled me out of the Star Wars universe. I couldn’t get into it. It started painfully slow but picked up towards the end. Worth seeing once if you’re a Star Wars fan but if you don’t see it I really don’t think you’re missing out on much.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 04:51 PM   #267
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I must be completely out of touch with what critics like, as I saw it and think it is the best of all these newer Disney ones. Have liked them all for the most part, but Solo was fantastic imo.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2018, 05:02 PM   #268
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I must be completely out of touch with what critics like, as I saw it and think it is the best of all these newer Disney ones. Have liked them all for the most part, but Solo was fantastic imo.
I agree. I loved it.

I don't know if there are many other people who could have portrayed Han Solo as well as Harrison Ford but I thought Alden Ehrenreich did a good job. He isn't supposed to be 100% the same as Ford's character. Ehrenreich's version is younger and still learning and finding his way.

I liked Last Jedi, but I get the criticism and I do have a hard time accepting some of that story. But I don't don't see the same with Solo. Solo is not without flaws, but it is a much better movie than TLJ.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #269
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

I saw it--went in with low expectations and thought it was great. It isn't really a very "Star Warsy" movie, but it was entertaining and fun which is all I wanted.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #270
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

In terms of success, one can talk about fan burnout, how good/bad the movie is, when it was released, etc etc..

But do we need to look any further than the obvious; this is a movie where everyone already knows the story. We know where these characters end up, we know how they fit in with the greater universe, we already know it. Hard core fans want to see it but I think knowing it's just a more detailed retelling of stuff we know or assume does a lot to hurt the more casual movie goers desire to see it, if only subconsciously.

That's why Woody Harrelson's character stands out more IMO, it's a completely new story for a new character.

That's why the cameo character at the end is cool but lame. We know how it ends for them already, there's no new story to tell, just details to flesh out. And that's why they were far more interesting in Clone Wars, because it's all new arc for them.

Though I guess I could blow up my whole idea by pointing out that the entire MCU should suffer from this problem? But most of the general movie going public didn't read the comics where most of the general movie going public did see (or has exhaustively heard of) Star Wars
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #271
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Not sure it is much solace to Disney but DP2, despite respectable numbers so far, also struggled a bit this weekend and does not appear to have the legs the original did. But it won’t be the disappointment Solo is.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #272
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Memorial Day surprisingly isn't a great movie weekend in the state so that hurts deadpools legs.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 11:28 PM   #273
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A movie where everyone already knows the ending can still make a boat load of money.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:11 AM   #274
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
A movie where everyone already knows the ending can still make a boat load of money.
I see what you did there...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 AM   #275
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

When did Hans stupid dice become such and important artifact in the SWU? Geez until Last Jedi I didn't even know they existed and I have been a fan since 77.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #276
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, they have remade Batman and Spiderman over and over and no one seems to mind.

I think the Han Solo movie just didn't get enough marketing and hype.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #277
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Yeah, they have remade Batman and Spiderman over and over and no one seems to mind.

I think the Han Solo movie just didn't get enough marketing and hype.
The marketing budget was actually pretty big. They were pretty restrained on how long they could market for, as trailers for TLJ were still playing only a few months before Solo came out, and having 2 sets of Star Wars trailers at the same time is kind of confusing. Typically for big budget movies, you get the teasers 1+ years out.

Once again, I'm not sure why Disney would schedule these movies so close together, or why they wouldn't take the pre-production problems as an excuse to push the movie back to the holidays.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #278
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I see what you did there...
I have this sinking feeling that I do to...

csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #279
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe this movie is tanking because it's not that good.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #280
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
none of the batman movies from 1989-1997 were origin stories. they only did it for 2005 Batman Begins and it was vastly different in tone, to the point of not even being the same genre of movie as the previous ones.

Spider-man they did the origin twice, but people didn't care about the Andrew Garfield reboot and it showed in box office. the most recent Spider-man they didn't bother with stupid Uncle Ben murder and everyone was happy to see a new story that hadn't been told yet.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote