Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #661
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Ryu pretty underwhelming through his first 2 starts with the Jays.

Yeah....yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I think Vlad Jr. needs to stop hitting ground balls.

Vladimir Groundballo Jr
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 PM   #662
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I think Vlad Jr. needs to stop hitting ground balls.
Does a fly out make you feel better?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:21 PM   #663
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Does a fly out make you feel better?
Yes, much better. It means his launch angle isn't terrible and he's more likely to hit more home runs with his exit velocity, instead of 100mph + groundballs for easy outs and easy double plays.

EDIT: There is also a lot more open space in the outfield.

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 07-30-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:40 PM   #664
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays need to be better at home if they want to compete. 0-2 so far
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #665
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I could watch Bichette hit all day. The guy is exciting to watch.

Bichette and Gurriel Jr are two genuinely dangerous hitters.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #666
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Jays need to be better at home if they want to compete. 0-2 so far

I'm not impressed with the home crowds so far this season.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 08:49 PM   #667
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teoscar Hernandez is now your current MLB homerun leader. Who called that to start the year?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:57 PM   #668
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
i'm not impressed with the home crowds so far this season.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1288626753255219200

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #669
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

And Vladdy works a 3-0 count, with none out, and a runner on 2nd, into a slow roller to 2nd base. Cmon big guy! Get it going.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #670
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And Vladdy works a 3-0 count, with none out, and a runner on 2nd, into a slow roller to 2nd base. Cmon big guy! Get it going.
It’s possible the man is too heavy.

I remember a story from when Todd Haley was coach of the Chiefs - Dwayne Bowe, perennial Pro Bowl receiver, showed up to camp out of shape. Haley made him run laps wearing a backpack stuffed with two 10lb bowling balls.

His point was “that’s how much extra weight you’re carrying around, hit the salad bar on your way to the ####ing treadmill.”

Like, kid, you’re staring down the barrel of a $400M contract if you produce. Do you really love food that much?

Get to walkin’.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:11 PM   #671
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It's getting embarrassing. This is a chance to be a star MLB player and you keep letting this happen?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:48 PM   #672
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
It’s possible the man is too heavy.

I remember a story from when Todd Haley was coach of the Chiefs - Dwayne Bowe, perennial Pro Bowl receiver, showed up to camp out of shape. Haley made him run laps wearing a backpack stuffed with two 10lb bowling balls.

His point was “that’s how much extra weight you’re carrying around, hit the salad bar on your way to the ####ing treadmill.”

Like, kid, you’re staring down the barrel of a $400M contract if you produce. Do you really love food that much?

Get to walkin’.

What's the difference between $200M and $400M? You gotta live a little. In this case though, I'm sure Jays management not so subtly moving him to first publicaly is their passive way of telling him to be a professional (because with that much weight he can't play third). Why haven't any of the beat writers knocked on his weight? Honest question. While he's still very young, he's showing me he doesn't have any desire to be great. Expect a very good early career projectory, and a fall off after 6 years when it starts to take it's toll. Will he also ever hit his ceiling? Probably not. Disappointing as a fan, but all the Jays can do is bring in some mentor who he admires, to work with him on eating better.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:36 PM   #673
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
What's the difference between $200M and $400M? You gotta live a little. In this case though, I'm sure Jays management not so subtly moving him to first publicaly is their passive way of telling him to be a professional (because with that much weight he can't play third). Why haven't any of the beat writers knocked on his weight? Honest question. While he's still very young, he's showing me he doesn't have any desire to be great. Expect a very good early career projectory, and a fall off after 6 years when it starts to take it's toll. Will he also ever hit his ceiling? Probably not. Disappointing as a fan, but all the Jays can do is bring in some mentor who he admires, to work with him on eating better.
Nobody’s giving this guy $200M either. If he continues to swell at this rate, he’s going to be out of the league in 3 years.

He’s too heavy to move himself around properly. That’s why he can’t catch up to these fastballs, because he’s too bloody big.

The whole 1B experiment is a charade to facilitate his move to permanent DH because he can only waddle around a diamond.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 10:48 PM   #674
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to disagree. Even other "big" big leaguers started off smaller than Vladdy. Look at young versions of Cecil Fielder, Mo Vaughn, Kirby Puckett. Even the maligned Sandoval all had thinner younger years that Vladdy. And that's real cause for concern.

It's Still way to early to consider him a bust, he's had less than a full year of AB's, but definitely cause for concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 12:15 AM   #675
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While Vladdy is a bigger dude, the fat shaming in here is ####ing disgusting. Keep sitting behind your keyboards and run your mouths a big guy that is probably still more athletic than you.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:19 AM   #676
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
While Vladdy is a bigger dude, the fat shaming in here is ####ing disgusting. Keep sitting behind your keyboards and run your mouths a big guy that is probably still more athletic than you.
Haha wut? This has to be satire, right?

Fat shaming? Are we at the point now where a professional athlete is above scrutiny because he is living his best life? The dude has all the talent in the world but apparently doesn't want to put in the work. Last I checked the Majors isn't filled with 250+ pounders running the infield. This guy was supposed to be the 3rd baseman of the future for the Jay's. That's why it was so easy for the organization to give up on an MVP 3rd baseman for nothing. But here we are, not even 2 seasons into his career, and he's already been moved to 1st and DH. And this decision was made with a week left of summer ball. So obviously the Jay's felt that he wasnt fit to play 3rd. But they were probably fat shaming too eh?

I adore Vladdy because his talent is all world. I turn up the volume and focus when he's at bat because I'm expecting something special. But it's hard not to ignore him getting lapped by his peers in Biggio and Bo, who are making strides in their game, while Vladdy seems to be regressing.

The keyboard warrior insinuation was a nice touch of internetting though. Vladdy can sure play the game of baseball, but let's not pretend he's winning any decathlon's anytime soon...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #677
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fat shaming for professional athletes don't make sense to me since it's not an attack on his appearance for the sake of it. It's a criticism because it DOES effect his performance as an athlete. For majority of active sports, you need to have a certain type of physique if you're going to perform at the level required for it.

There's many cases of players who've had potential to amount to something, but their nutrition/weight is what held them back. Having those same concerns with Vladdy is complete valid because it is effecting his game, and as a result his ceiling currently.

Everyone in the baseball world wants him to cut down the weight, because if he doesn't, he's not going to live up to his potential, which mostly will be detrimental to him.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:22 PM   #678
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Haha wut? This has to be satire, right?

Fat shaming? Are we at the point now where a professional athlete is above scrutiny because he is living his best life? The dude has all the talent in the world but apparently doesn't want to put in the work. Last I checked the Majors isn't filled with 250+ pounders running the infield. This guy was supposed to be the 3rd baseman of the future for the Jay's. That's why it was so easy for the organization to give up on an MVP 3rd baseman for nothing. But here we are, not even 2 seasons into his career, and he's already been moved to 1st and DH. And this decision was made with a week left of summer ball. So obviously the Jay's felt that he wasnt fit to play 3rd. But they were probably fat shaming too eh?

I adore Vladdy because his talent is all world. I turn up the volume and focus when he's at bat because I'm expecting something special. But it's hard not to ignore him getting lapped by his peers in Biggio and Bo, who are making strides in their game, while Vladdy seems to be regressing.

The keyboard warrior insinuation was a nice touch of internetting though. Vladdy can sure play the game of baseball, but let's not pretend he's winning any decathlon's anytime soon...
Literally 2 posts above mine someone said "he can only waddle around the diamond", the fact you are intentionally ignoring and/or defending garbage like this, makes you just as bad.
Old 08-05-2020, 05:47 PM   #679
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Literally 2 posts above mine someone said "he can only waddle around the diamond", the fact you are intentionally ignoring and/or defending garbage like this, makes you just as bad.

It may be an exaggeration, but frankly who cares? Why does everything have to be so boring? I'm not knocking you, and don't want likes, but society in general is becoming so sensitive about anything. Vlad doesn't read this forum, and even if he did how could a pro athlete get angry at that? He is chubby and the team has demoted him to first, call him what you want, he's gotta get better through his weight first.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:51 PM   #680
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
It may be an exaggeration, but frankly who cares? Why does everything have to be so boring? I'm not knocking you, and don't want likes, but society in general is becoming so sensitive about anything. Vlad doesn't read this forum, and even if he did how could a pro athlete get angry at that? He is chubby and the team has demoted him to first, call him what you want, he's gotta get better through his weight first.
because #### like that is also a slight to anyone that is bigger, there is a massive difference between saying things like he needs to slim down and adding crap like "waddling"

And you think speaking out against one of the most common forms of bullying is becoming "so sensitive"? Give me a ####ing break.