Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-02-2020, 11:41 AM   #3161
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Finally received my new irons after going for a fitting at Modern Golf.

I played Canyon Meadows last week with my old irons and shot an 82... new irons yesterday.... 101.

I haven't shot over 100 in years, absolutely nothing worked, I couldn't hit anything and even the odd good shot just felt ... not good.

I have the worst buyers remorse right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Took me a year to be able to consistently hit my fitted clubs. Really not sure why.
Any equipment change will require some time for adjustments especially if it is a significant change like switching club length. Your muscle memory is dialed in for your old clubs which isn't working with your new clubs. You basically have to retrain your muscles to find the new swing that works with the clubs. Could be minor adjustments that are necessary or it could be major and would be like relearning your swing.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #3162
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good course to play in the northern Edmonton region? I might have to go to Edmonton on Wednesday and I might try to play a round Thursday morning. I'll be just north of Edmonton so courses in the northern part of the city, St. Albert, Morinville, Sandy Beach etc would be ideal.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #3163
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good course to play in the northern Edmonton region? I might have to go to Edmonton on Wednesday and I might try to play a round Thursday morning. I'll be just north of Edmonton so courses in the northern part of the city, St. Albert, Morinville, Sandy Beach etc would be ideal.
Ranch, cougar creek, or the links in spruce grove are all good.

A fantastic one that’s a little further west is trestle creek.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #3164
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool. I had looked at The Ranch and it caught my eye. I also found a place called Goose Hummock in Gibbons which looks quite interesting. I'll check out Trestle Creek as well.

The surprising thing to me is that golf seems so much cheaper in Edmonton than Calgary. Looks like many of the decent courses are under $75 with a cart which is not very common in Calgary.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #3165
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
The Quarry. It's on the north east side, but only about 20 minutes from St Albert
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #3166
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Cool. I had looked at The Ranch and it caught my eye. I also found a place called Goose Hummock in Gibbons which looks quite interesting. I'll check out Trestle Creek as well.

The surprising thing to me is that golf seems so much cheaper in Edmonton than Calgary. Looks like many of the decent courses are under $75 with a cart which is not very common in Calgary.
All of the previous recommendations are better courses than Goose Hummock.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #3167
FragileMind
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can't go wrong at the Quarry.
FragileMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #3168
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Went 47-40 at cottonwood Friday from the tips.

I wish I had a swing analyzer that could show me what I did so right on the back 9 vs the front.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:33 AM   #3169
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary golf prices are very high.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #3170
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's always been one of my gear grinders since we moved to Calgary 23 years ago. I blame it on expense account golf but that's just speculation on my part.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:32 AM   #3171
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
That's always been one of my gear grinders since we moved to Calgary 23 years ago. I blame it on expense account golf but that's just speculation on my part.
I agree, pricing had been fueled by bloated O&G expense accounts, but you would have to think those days of milk and honey are gone. I would expect a price adjustment post Covid when demand inevitably decreases. But for the current reality, why would they lower rates when tee sheets are full every day?
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #3172
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

For everyone that was suggesting The Quarry in Edmonton for a round does it matter if I start on Slate or Ironstone? I have both options and I'm not sure if one is preferred over the other.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:27 AM   #3173
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man, Heritage is in rough shape. The greens are the worst of any course I've played this year, and the fairways weren't much better.

Aside from the actual course, the carts we got had not been cleaned and one of them broke down at the first tee, and the halfway house closed its kitchen at 6:00pm so we couldn't get food at the turn. The group in front of us played the front nine at a 6 hour pace and despite there being at least two marshals on the course, not once did they come by to check on the pace.

The overall experience is just shabby compared to how it used to be. What a shame. Why is Windmill so bad at managing courses?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:31 AM   #3174
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Man, Heritage is in rough shape. The greens are the worst of any course I've played this year, and the fairways weren't much better.

Aside from the actual course, the carts we got had not been cleaned and one of them broke down at the first tee, and the halfway house closed its kitchen at 6:00pm so we couldn't get food at the turn. The group in front of us played the front nine at a 6 hour pace and despite there being at least two marshals on the course, not once did they come by to check on the pace.

The overall experience is just shabby compared to how it used to be. What a shame. Why is Windmill so bad at managing courses?
Its their philosophy. Take the course over...slash all budgets across the board specifically course maintenance. Suck every last possible dime out of it as possible. I do my best not to give them a dime of my money.
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:07 PM   #3175
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't played nearly enough and my consistency is just not there. Hitting the ball alright it just seems my alignment is a little bit off and some of the short game stuff is the first to go.

Don't feel like I'm playing awful, but my handicap has gone from 7.4 to 11.5

Average Handicap (low in brackets):

2010: 18.2 (16.9) - 43 rounds
2011: 13.9 (11.8) - 44 rounds
2012: 12.8 (11.4) - 54 rounds
2013: 11.3 (7.7) - 59 rounds
2014: 9.1 (8.2) - 45 rounds
2015: 9.3 (8.0) - 41 rounds
2016: 9.0 (7.8) - 28 rounds
2017: 9.4 (7.4) - 34 rounds
2018: 9.1 (7.6) - 13 rounds

2019: 11.1 (10.9) - 16 rounds
2020: 11.1 (10.0) - 5 rounds

Five years in a row where I kept it in single digits. Looks like I've peaked. Only playing 34 rounds in the last 3 years hasn't helped things.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:13 PM   #3176
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Playing Springbank Links right now. Avoid at all costs, the greens are utterly horrible. I don’t know what they did to them, but slow as molasses and these wierd tufted ridges everywhere. Worst greens I’ve played all year.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:09 PM   #3177
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodooman View Post
Playing Springbank Links right now. Avoid at all costs, the greens are utterly horrible. I don’t know what they did to them, but slow as molasses and these wierd tufted ridges everywhere. Worst greens I’ve played all year.
I also played there earlier today and agree. The greens are just weird. Not shaggy but play like they are. And almost a dry or sandy surface on them but they are not brown. The grass is green, just really really weird to put on.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:14 PM   #3178
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Haven't played nearly enough and my consistency is just not there. Hitting the ball alright it just seems my alignment is a little bit off and some of the short game stuff is the first to go.

Don't feel like I'm playing awful, but my handicap has gone from 7.4 to 11.5

Average Handicap (low in brackets):

2010: 18.2 (16.9) - 43 rounds
2011: 13.9 (11.8) - 44 rounds
2012: 12.8 (11.4) - 54 rounds
2013: 11.3 (7.7) - 59 rounds
2014: 9.1 (8.2) - 45 rounds
2015: 9.3 (8.0) - 41 rounds
2016: 9.0 (7.8) - 28 rounds
2017: 9.4 (7.4) - 34 rounds
2018: 9.1 (7.6) - 13 rounds

2019: 11.1 (10.9) - 16 rounds
2020: 11.1 (10.0) - 5 rounds

Five years in a row where I kept it in single digits. Looks like I've peaked. Only playing 34 rounds in the last 3 years hasn't helped things.
Kids in 2018 and 2020?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:41 PM   #3179
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Kids in 2018 and 2020?
Haha! Knew that it would look that way, but no!

I worked at a golf course from 2012-2016 and had annual memberships in 2017 and 2019.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:27 AM   #3180
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Played Fernie the last few days, what a great course. Not exactly top notch as far as course conditions go, but the fairways are decent, greens are exceptional, good bunker sand and good layout. New carts that had 2 USB ports, which is something those of us running phone gps apps can certainly appreciate.

Great value though. Something like $67 with cart and tax for 18.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow