Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2014, 01:02 PM   #61
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I realize these aren't healthy for you but is it 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt better for you than real cigarettes?
Yes. Reasonable vapers consider it harm reduction.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2014, 01:07 AM   #62
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
That's people using un-safe batteries and leaving them in the charger too long.
Actually its not the batteries themselves that pose the threat. Its the circuit boards failing. The circuit board HVC (High voltage cutoff) is failing .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:10 AM   #63
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is about GMOs but what he says about people afraid because of new science in the beginning is true.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:30 AM   #64
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know how people can fall hard for either side of the conversation. Some studies saying its better that its better , some say its the same, some say its worse , other studies say it has a high success rat to quitting, some say it will lead previous non smokers to real smokes. There's no consensus. They only consensus is from actual converted smokers that feel the difference. There was a time when pot was "horrible" watch reefer madness. Today it seems like silly s##t but that was full serious back in the day. I for one would like to see where every one of these studies get their funding from. There is no doubt the tobacco industry has some propaganda out there.

I for one do choose ecigs over traditional smokes. I am trying to ween myself off it but it is hard. I also said screw esmokes you'll never see me use one . They don't work , there for pussys either quit or smoke the whole nine yards. I was really an ass about them. Now I know they work . I'm not off nicotine at all. I am however In much better health. I may never be able to quit altogether and I am ok with that. I also said I never would quit real cigs even if I got an ecig. Life's to short . Go out there and do what you want. If It doesn't hurt another person. FYI the USA health department as concluded second hand Vapour is completely harmless.

I also want to add on that IT will take decades before we know for sure. Ex smokers can't be included in studies as some side effects from smoking can take place up to 20 years.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-09-2014 at 01:33 AM.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:43 AM   #65
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'll chime in as a non-smoker, non-vapour.

I think its vary reasonable to believe it is less bad for you. I mean we actually statistically expect 1/2 billion people or 1 in 14 or 7% of the world to die of smoking related illness. Vaping must be better on some level.

But my main hope is the small amount of etiquette that has been hammered into the think skulls of most smokers remains with vapours. We have already seen it start to slip backwards with them.

Don't do it inside or on the train.

Don't do it on a patio, and you may be 15' from the door, but if its impossible for me to get to the door with out walking within on foot of you its still rude.

And Don't do it anywhere near children.

I don't really care if its safe, I don't want you spitting on me, and I don't want to walk through a visible cloud of whatever you are exhaling.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:36 AM   #66
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have to toss a recommendation for
http://www.electrovapors.com/shop/in...te=common/home
This shop is in Alberta, and is run by a founding member of ECTA - an organization calling for quality control in the industry. All her juices are tested to be free of any chemicals which have been flagged.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #67
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I remember smoking used to bring about thoughts of Marlboros.

Now its about sucking fruity flavors of water vapor with names like 'nana cream from devices called Magic Sticks?

'Hey boss. Going for a break. Time for some magic stick 'nana cream."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
I quit smoking for 17 months then stupidly started again a couple of months ago. I bought a Magic Stick Vape Magic brand e-cig 2 days ago. I don't know much about these things, but it's been decent so far. I just hope that it'll help me kick the butts again.

30ml of juice at a local NW tobacco store cost me $22. I like the online prices and selections way better, but...

...can I ask why you like bombies.com better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
Just personal preference I guess. I have vaped almost exclusively 'nana cream for the last 3 or 4 months. I don't get sick of it and it tastes amazing. I kind of found a flavour I like and I will stick with it. Plus shipping takes about a week. Which isn't bad at all.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #68
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those of us down south there is a new vape shop on Bannister Rd just south of Southcenter called Vape Emporium. They seem to be brand new and don't have a whole lot of stock on the shelves yet but they have a pretty good selection of juice already. Nice couple running the shop too, I hope they make a go of it.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2014, 11:19 AM   #69
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
FYI the USA health department as concluded second hand Vapour is completely harmless.
Link? because I've never seen anything of the sort and it would go directly against the warnings sent out by several state health departments with three states already passing the same public bans on them and the findings of multiple preliminary studies. I do know the FDA is looking to regulate and it seems foolish to believe it is only water being exhaled. It MUST contain nicotine which of itself is proven to have adverse health effects.

The basic fact that we didn't know the dangers of second hand smoke for years and years and years would seem to suggest we don't take a step back just because we can't smell it or some other non-sense. It's up to the vaping side to prove it this time around.

Vape away, but it better not be around me.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #70
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Day for of soley vaping. I've had the vape for 6-months but never comitted enough to carry it to work and actually use it.

If you use it, it works.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #71
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My BIL wants to quit smoking.

What is the best vap to get him as a present?
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #72
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

One of the most popular out there is the innokin itaste mvp 2.
http://www.innokin.com/itaste-mvp.html
It's variable wattage/variable voltage (means you can adjust the power), it lasts for days and you can even charge your phone with it and it is fairly cheap as well.

Tanks and juice are also fairly important. That is something he is going to have to figure out on his own as it's all personal preference.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #73
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
They'll kill you. Just in a different way.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-28701515
Conspiratorial nonsense because it happened in Liverpool.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:31 PM   #74
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

U.S. Attorneys General press FDA for tougher e-cigarette rules

Quote:
(Reuters) - Attorneys general from 29 U.S. states urged the Food and Drug Administration on Friday to strengthen its proposed regulation on electronic cigarettes to better protect young people from nicotine addiction.

In a letter, attorneys general from states including New York, Illinois, Indiana and Massachusetts asked the FDA to prohibit flavors other than tobacco and menthol, and to restrict advertising and marketing for e-cigarettes as strictly as it does for cigarettes, according to a press release from New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman.

In April, the FDA proposed rules that would ban the sale of e-cigarettes to anyone under 18, but would not restrict flavored products, online sales or advertising, which public health advocates say attract children. It marked the agency's first step toward regulating the burgeoning $2 billion industry.
Quote:
The push by the attorneys general comes as the e-cigarette industry, backed by tobacco companies, expands its marketing across the country. More than 14 million U.S. adults and almost 2 million teenagers and children aged 10-12, dubbed "tweenagers," have used e-cigarettes.

In an email, an FDA spokeswoman declined to comment on the request from the attorneys general, but said bringing e-cigarettes under the agency's authority was "an important consumer protection."

Electronic cigarette makers will have to register with the FDA, adhere to minimum age and identification restrictions to prevent sales to underage youth and include health warning labels, among other obligations, the email said.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...0G81ZZ20140808
Old 08-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #75
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Even a week and a half into this and I'm feeling a lot better, I'm certainly sleeping better, and I have a better sense of smell and taste.

I also don't have yellow fingers and stink like week old cigarettes.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #76
Flames89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
My BIL wants to quit smoking.

What is the best vap to get him as a present?
If he is open to something bigger than a cig, then go for the usual starter kits like these
http://www.dashvapes.com/products/starter+kits/1

The eRoll is good for those that really want the cig form factor, but it is a bit finnicky with the small tanks.

The MVP suggestion is great, but the boxy design may be tough to get over.
Flames89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #77
smoothessence
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Used to smoke a pack a day for years and now down to 1 cig every day.

Times which I've had a hold of a friend's e-cig for 5-10 minutes led me not to smoke for a number of days after. Could have been the nicotine content of that particular juice but seemed as though it could help me to quit completely and decreasing anyone's tobacco intake as shared by other posters.

More than anything I just wanted to post and say how refreshing it is to be able to read this many posts about something so polarizing as smoking and to not have to contend with the usual ibtl nonsense which characterizes other threads of the type.

Thanks CP.
smoothessence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:00 PM   #78
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to those who are quitting due to e-cigs.

I am not a smoker myself, but I find it hard to believe an e-cig (even the cheap ones) would be worse for you than regular cigarettes.

I personally have no problem with any cigarette, regular or electronic, as long as the user isn't blowing the smoke in my direction.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #79
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Link? because I've never seen anything of the sort and it would go directly against the warnings sent out by several state health departments with three states already passing the same public bans on them and the findings of multiple preliminary studies. I do know the FDA is looking to regulate and it seems foolish to believe it is only water being exhaled. It MUST contain nicotine which of itself is proven to have adverse health effects.

The basic fact that we didn't know the dangers of second hand smoke for years and years and years would seem to suggest we don't take a step back just because we can't smell it or some other non-sense. It's up to the vaping side to prove it this time around.

Vape away, but it better not be around me.
Study commissioned by the health departmenteven if it is commissioned by the government does not mean you'll hear about it being ok. Look at the Schafer report Nixon commissioned.

http://publichealth.drexel.edu/SiteD...0e603/ms08.pdf
Quote:
By reviewing over 9,000 observations about the chemistry of the vapor and the liquid in e-cigarettes, Dr. Burstyn was able to determine that the levels of contaminants e-cigarette users are exposed to are insignificant, far below levels that would pose any health risk. Additionally, there is no health risk to bystanders. Proposals to ban e-cigarettes in places where smoking is banned have been based on concern there is a potential risk to bystanders, but the study shows there is no concern.

If your suggestions are based on Nicotine is harmful then we also need to ban caffeine and Alcohol. Caffeine is the same schedule of drug with many of the exact same side effects. Both Nicotine and Caffeine can kill you in excess.

http://psychology.jrank.org/pages/61...ant-Drugs.html

This one as the scientific study's and amounts.

http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/296/2/486.long

Quote:
Both caffeine and nicotine are psychomotor stimulants, which may share a common dopaminergic component of central action with classic psychomotor stimulants such as cocaine.
Quote:
With regard to physiological effects, caffeine and nicotine were similar in that both tended to decrease skin temperature and elevate blood pressure. They differed in that heart rate was decreased by caffeine, but increased by nicotine

Alcohol is one of the leading causes of death yet it is socially acceptable.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 08-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #80
terminator
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm on day 5 today and am quite suprised at how effeciently it is holding my cravings at bay. I am able to stand outside with the smokers and not crave an anologue whilst e'ing.
terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to terminator For This Useful Post: