Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2020, 12:28 PM   #801
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Draftsite, mynhldraft, they both update every two weeks to a month. One of those two does a 7 round mock. Tankathon is okay, dobbers is pretty good too.

The NHL cities mock drafts should be out next week for their respective teams.

Tori Petersons been publishing post round 1 player profile lists this past week on Flames.com

FC hockey has a fantastic mock draft tool you can use. Its fun. Although their tool uses their rankings in the sim, and their lists is a bit different from most others. That not a criticism.
Thanks, some stuff to look at later today!

I like FC's tool, though I noticed they don't have our 3rd from the Oilers in there.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #802
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Thanks, some stuff to look at later today!

I like FC's tool, though I noticed they don't have our 3rd from the Oilers in there.
Probably because the Oil have until the 3rd round starts to give us the pick or defer the pick to 2021.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:36 PM   #803
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably because the Oil have until the 3rd round starts to give us the pick or defer the pick to 2021.
Totally forgot they had the option.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #804
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
So, again I'm going to voice my desire for two particular players that I'm hoping the Flames can snag in round 2.

RHD - Alex Cotton

Had 11 points in 54 games in his draft year, then this last season in his draft +1 year he blew up for a league leading 20 goals and 67 points in 63 games. This kid has tons of a talent and is figuring things out exponentially. He's extremely mobile and he isn't small either at 6'2, he just needs to fill out some more and get stronger. Added bonus, he fits an organizational need as a right shooting Dman.

RHC - Tristan Robins

Strong two way game, lots of speed and skill. Gotta love it when an 18 year old leads his team in scoring too, by almost 10 points. He wasn't being carried by being on a line with 19 or 20 year olds, or a higher pedigree draft eligible 18 year old. A good sign in my books. Also, like Cotton he also just so happens to fill an organizational need as a right shooting center.

Man I wish the Flames had multiple 2nd round picks like Ottawa and Montreal.
I like both of these players too. It was poo-pood pretty hard in the trade speculation thread, but I think that a higher end roster (Danault or Domi) player and all of Montreal's second rounders would be a great trade for Gaudreau or Hanifin.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #805
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
This is a pretty good overview of him when he was drafted:

https://thehockeywriters.com/mason-m...spect-profile/

He wasn't unknown at the time in the least. On most lists he was the #2 goalie, and on some the #1.

Doesn't mean it was the right pick. But calling it a nonsense pick is also hyperbole.
Absolutely this. Another thing is if teams have 2 guys ranked closely, it seems common for them to pick the player who is showing the greatest improvement recently. For goaltenders that year is was definitely McDonald, as that piece points out Mason was only ranked #7 at the mid-term rankings for CSS and sky rocketed up to #2.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #806
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

2020 MOCK DRAFT - TORIE PETERSON
https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/2020...on/c-318918344

12. Florida - Dawson Mercer
13. Carolina - Seth Jarvis
14. Edmonton - Yaroslav Askarov
15. Toronto - Braden Schneider
16. Montreal - Dylan Holloway
17. Chicago - Rodion Amirov
18. New Jersey - Connor Zary
19. Calgary Flames - Noel Gunler - RW - Luleå (SHL)

The winger has high-end skill and the confidence to be creative in the offensive zone. Gunler owns a lethal wrist shot, has soft hands, and is tenacious in his forecheck. As he adds strength to his 6-foot-2 frame, watch for his skating to become even more explosive.

20. New Jersey - Kaiden Guhle
21. Columbus - Lukas Reichel
22. New York Rangers - Hendrix Lapierre
23. Philadelphia - Mavrik Bourque

Last edited by AC; 09-22-2020 at 02:40 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:39 PM   #807
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames.com Mock draft has Calgary taking Noel Gunler. Id love that since Amirov and Jarvis and most of the others went before the Flames pick.

Don't sleep on Gunler. He's pretty much the living embodiment of the Flames checklist of fw needs. Except center. He isnt a center.

3 things you notice immediately:
1. he creates turnovers with speed and immediate pressure
2. Speed, speed, speed
3. Dat shot doh. Wicked snipe shot. Gets it off anywhere on his stick. Changes angles like few others do.

Cons:
Needs mass
A bit sleepy at times.
Said he would like.to play along side the wonder duds up north.

Last edited by dammage79; 09-22-2020 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 02:45 PM   #808
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Flames.com Mocl draft has Calgary taking Noel Gunler. Id love that since Amirov and Jarvis and most of the others went before the Flames pick.

Don't sleep on Gunler. He's pretty much the living embodiment of the Flames checklist of fw needs. Except center. He isnt a center.

2. Speed, speed, speed
3. Dat shot doh. Wicked snipe shot. Gets it off anywhere on his stick. Changes angles like few others do.

Cond:
Needs mass
A bit sleepy at times.
Great shot and a great name. I'm down.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #809
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Flames.com Mock draft has Calgary taking Noel Gunler. Id love that since Amirov and Jarvis and most of the others went before the Flames pick.

2. Speed, speed, speed

Cons:
Needs mass
A bit sleepy at times.
Said he would like.to play along side the wonder duds up north.
OT but man does the atmosphere at those SHL games ever crush the NHL.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #810
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know, with Ottawa completely rebuilding and having 2 top 5 picks, I'm starting.to think they take stutzle or byfiled at 3 and then go after Askarov with 5. Hes done nothing but bewilder the sports world with his start this year in the KHL. I can totally see it. And I wouldn't blame them.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #811
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gunler with Backs and Tkachuk? Yeah, that'd do.

Heck, Dube-Bennett-Gunler. Yeah that'd do too.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #812
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know, with Ottawa completely rebuilding and having 2 top 5 picks, I'm starting.to think they take stutzle or byfiled at 3 and then go after Askarov with 5. Hes done nothing but bewilder the sports world with his start this year in the KHL. I can totally see it. And I wouldn't blame them.
Yeah, I don't think Askarov will make it out of the Top 10. Buffalo and Minny are both potential destinations too.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #813
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Way better off taking Stutzle/Byfield and then Rossi at 5. Lock down your centre ice position with top-end talent in one draft year.

Taking a goalie that high is such a risk. The talent available at 5 is too good to use the pick on a goalie.

Some more love for Gunler:

Last edited by ComixZone; 09-22-2020 at 04:22 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #814
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Way better off taking Stutzle/Byfield and then Rossi at 5. Lock down your centre ice position with top-end talent in one draft year.

Taking a goalie that high is such a risk. The talent available at 5 is too good to use the pick on a goalie.

Some more love for Gunler:

I understand the hesitancy you speak of. But when Button says "best draft eligible goalie he has seen since Carey Price", those risks are washed away immediately. Not because Button says so, but because if someone like button sees that, you know full well those who actually run hockey teams share the sentiment.

Spencer Knight was notable last year, but nothing like Askarov this year. Not close, not by a mile.
If youre a scorched earth team with the value oick ottawa has, you can afford to take the franchise forward with your first pick and assume the risk reward with askarov. Seriously. When all is said and done, Askarov will be a #1. Hes a tier above Samsonov, Shetyerkin and Sorokin.

As for Gunler, I hope the Flames take him if the draft falls the way that mock does. I love his game, a lot.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #815
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand the hesitancy you speak of. But when Button says "best draft eligible goalie he has seen since Carey Price", those risks are washed away immediately. Not because Button says so, but because if someone like button sees that, you know full well those who actually run hockey teams share the sentiment.

Spencer Knight was notable last year, but nothing like Askarov this year. Not close, not by a mile.
If youre a scorched earth team with the value oick ottawa has, you can afford to take the franchise forward with your first pick and assume the risk reward with askarov. Seriously. When all is said and done, Askarov will be a #1. Hes a tier above Samsonov, Shetyerkin and Sorokin.

As for Gunler, I hope the Flames take him if the draft falls the way that mock does. I love his game, a lot.
I still look at goalies being available every year via trade and free agency. High end centres? You draft them and keep them.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #816
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I still look at goalies being available every year via trade and free agency. High end centres? You draft them and keep them.
They still get a center though, the bonus is a franchise goalie. Philosophically, you just drafted 2 premier cornerstones in key positions. Let's not pretend here that they're gonna be good again next year either. They'll still be picking top 5. Can get another C then. One in a generation goalie? Not as promising.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:20 PM   #817
cowtown75
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I honestly don't want Askarov going to Edmonton.
cowtown75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cowtown75 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2020, 05:21 PM   #818
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Agreed. At the time there was a growing dynamic where teams were interested in overagers. I recall reading an analytical overview that showed that in rounds 2 and beyond the hit rate on overagers was higher than first year eligible players. I can't find it now though, but I wonder if the Flames were buying into that. Or was it the classic BIG=GOOD approach.
Either way he was a guy that had a jump in junior production largely because he was way more physically mature than others. That type of thing should always be a red flag.

It was actually a bit deeper than that. The Flames had Smith on the radar the season before, but didn't draft him. They were trying to get him into camp that year with an eye to signing him, but he either had a conflict or was injured (I don't remember now).

However, the Flames liked him because of his size, but also because he was able to play with skilled players and contribute in all situations - even played PK time. Definitely not a 'goon' by what many people felt he was - just didn't pan out. Apparently he had a lot of interest in that draft, not just the Flames. Too bad it just didn't work out.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #819
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish I could share the optimism about Gunler, but I'm a bit leery about taking him at 19-there are reasons for why he is one of the most polarizing players in the draft. Many scouts say he's mostly a perimeter player, and only shows flashes of the player talked about above. There's a lot of questions about his skating-he skates well in a straight line, but his unorthodox stride makes it easy to knock him off the puck. There's also questions about his attitude-he's been left off of Sweden's rosters for international tournaments for a reason. IMO, there will be better options at 19.

Last edited by Sandman; 09-22-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #820
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I wish I could share the optimism about Gunler, but I'm a bit leery about taking him in the first round-there are reasons for why he is one of the most polarizing players in the draft. Many scouts say he's mostly a perimeter player, and only shows flashes of the player talked about above. There's a lot of questions about his skating-he skates well in a straight line, but his unorthodox stride makes it easy to knock him off the puck. There's also questions about his attitude-he's been left off of Sweden's rosters for international tournaments for a reason. IMO, there will be better options at 19.
Perimeter player? Did you watch the videos? He is not a perimeter player.

Tags
edmonton is no good