Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2020, 06:23 PM   #4121
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Just finished Tiger King last night. Is it wrong that I have a massive crush on Lauren Lowe???
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:46 PM   #4122
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Ozark is a tough one for me. It's so good, and yet feels like it plods along at the same time, it's weird.

I usually have about three "Oh man, I feel like leaving" moments, but at the end I'm always happy I watched. First episode of the new season was the same.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 07:11 PM   #4123
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
It's the Libertarian primary. He definitely appeals to a segment of their weirdo demographic.
Well, it was like 300 votes total he got. When they flashed it on the screen, I thought he had 19% as a 3rd party in the general and was shocked and had to look it up.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 07:12 PM   #4124
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusJack View Post
Just finished Tiger King last night. Is it wrong that I have a massive crush on Lauren Lowe???
Before or after she was pregnant?
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #4125
CactusJack
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Before or after she was pregnant?
Both!
CactusJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #4126
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Ozark is a tough one for me. It's so good, and yet feels like it plods along at the same time, it's weird.

I usually have about three "Oh man, I feel like leaving" moments, but at the end I'm always happy I watched. First episode of the new season was the same.
Ozark is an odd one, good almost great but doesn't get there. Julia Garner kills it though.

Last edited by Rando; 03-27-2020 at 09:25 PM.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:37 AM   #4127
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just finished Tiger King.

The scene near the end with the chimps destroyed me. The message overall being that none of these animals were ultimately better off is just heartbreaking.

Erik talking about not being able to see his cats again and his remorse for being involved. "That means a minute to me, a heavy minute".
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 01:34 PM   #4128
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haven't seen Tiger King yet, but just read this fascinating article that touches on Joe Exotic and Carole Baskin but is principally about the problem with exotic zoos.
https://longreads.com/2020/03/16/tig...=pocket-newtab
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ped For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #4129
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts on Tiger King:

Spoiler!
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2020, 10:24 PM   #4130
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

No matter how much you hate someone you don't go online everyday threatening to kill them and blowing up your home made effigy of them.

Honestly how is anyone shocked that Joe Exotic is in jail? Everyone hates Carole but there is a pretty major difference with her zoo in that is doesn't breed the cats.

We should also remember this is a documentary for the purpose of entertainment and shock value more than actual information. Similar to making a murderer take it all with a grain of salt.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:49 PM   #4131
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless I missed it, I'm surprised they didn't expose the fact that he never wrote or sang any of those songs.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:05 PM   #4132
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ozark is great. The casting is perfect, all the characters are well-written and it is paced well. Slow burn.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 03:39 AM   #4133
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey all you cool cats and kittens, Kidder here.

That was a wild ride.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:45 AM   #4134
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
No matter how much you hate someone you don't go online everyday threatening to kill them and blowing up your home made effigy of them.

Honestly how is anyone shocked that Joe Exotic is in jail? Everyone hates Carole but there is a pretty major difference with her zoo in that is doesn't breed the cats.

We should also remember this is a documentary for the purpose of entertainment and shock value more than actual information. Similar to making a murderer take it all with a grain of salt.
Maybe her zoo doesn't breed cats but it appears when she started out she was paying for some cats. I don't see any shock value in the mysterious disappearance of her husband. By all accounts Don Lewis was very shrewd with his money and was maneuvering out of his relationship with her only to just vanish without any of his money or assets. You could tell the investigating officer knew something shady went down and unfortunately it was just cleaned up too well possibly with the help of her brother. Unless you are one of those people that think OJ is innocent there's a very good chance she took him out.

I don't see anything righteous about what she's doing as Big Cat Rescue is essentially her means of becoming the top cat by discrediting her competition and using charity to pay for her bills and unpaid volunteers to do the work despite the fact that she inherited close to $10 million from the disappearance of Don Lewis. It's a great gig for her as she gets to sit on her fortune while having her zoo run on other people's dime and time. Without a doubt the smartest person on the show by a longshot and probably the biggest criminal of all of them.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-30-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 10:46 AM   #4135
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Ozark is great. The casting is perfect, all the characters are well-written and it is paced well. Slow burn.
in praise of Jason Bateman

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/3/...k-the-outsider
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #4136
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Just finished Tiger King.

The scene near the end with the chimps destroyed me. The message overall being that none of these animals were ultimately better off is just heartbreaking.

Erik talking about not being able to see his cats again and his remorse for being involved. "That means a minute to me, a heavy minute".
Ugh! Yeah I really think I'm gonna pass on this one, especially after reading that. I keep seeing ads for it on Netflix and seems everyone on social media is talking about it lately, so I was considering it. But yokels and mistreated animals..I don't think I can handle it.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #4137
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Ugh! Yeah I really think I'm gonna pass on this one, especially after reading that. I keep seeing ads for it on Netflix and seems everyone on social media is talking about it lately, so I was considering it. But yokels and mistreated animals..I don't think I can handle it.
I thought they heavily downplayed the animal abuse considering how big of a deal it actually was to the case and the ongoing investigation into big cat and exotic animal "zoos". The filmmaker really decided to highlight the crazy over the cruel.

I seriously recommend the podcast Joe Exotic: Tiger King (formerly a season of Over My Dead Body) to get a much deeper dive into how horrific the conditions are in these places, and get a real grasp of just how much suffering occurs.

Or, if you're a person that is really affected by this topic, you may just want to take my word for it. It's not for the faint of heart.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 12:13 PM   #4138
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'll just take your word for it. I'm a bigtime animal lover, I think stories about mistreated animals actually bother me more than mistreated humans.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #4139
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Even his comedy was always a slow burn. I think its a matter of taste, I can see how some people don't have the appetite for it. But for me that background dread that can build with the slow realization that you are not in control of anything is the best.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:32 PM   #4140
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yeah I'll just take your word for it. I'm a bigtime animal lover, I think stories about mistreated animals actually bother me more than mistreated humans.
Maybe my priorities are mixed up, but I found the killing of kittens in Don't #### With Cats more upsetting than the guy getting chopped up.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post: