Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2020, 12:21 AM   #541
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Man the quality of this match has been absurdly good
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 12:32 AM   #542
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
Man the quality of this match has been absurdly good
Geez, Muguruza saved her best tennis for those last two games. Excellent tennis match.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:56 AM   #543
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fed saves a couple of break points to hold serve and then breaks Djoker to lead 2-0 early in the opening set.

Edit: Roger fails to consolidate however.

Last edited by dash_pinched; 01-30-2020 at 01:59 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:13 AM   #544
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well...at least the match completion streak remains untarnished. Heal up Roger for spring hardcourts, you picked up a few extra ATP points and more street fighter cred.

Now Nole/young gun, I'm gonna wake up super early Sunday for you, make it worth the effort. No Djoker vs Murray-like slumberfest from the previous decade.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:53 AM   #545
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta hope for a Thiem win tonight if you want any sort of drama. Zverev/Djokovic could be really ugly. No disrespect to Zverev or anything, but beating Novak when he is dialed in requires firepower and Zverev doesn't have nearly enough. I also find it hilarious that Muguraza basically shows up every 6-8 majors and wins one, and then disappears into hopeless mediocrity (or worse) in between. Perfectly sums up the women's game really.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #546
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Zverev ends up playing Djokovic in the finals, can Nadal and Federer coach him again? "No negative #### ####"
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #547
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes no sense to me, Djoker is a hell of a player and what's wrong with showing emotion. I think as tennis fans we should just be grateful that we've been able to enjoy superlative tennis for the last 15+ years.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1222946866800795648
Old 01-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #548
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The hate Novak gets is so wildly undeserved, and it's primarily because he beats Roger and Rafa so much. The only thing he does that's annoying is take 72 bounces before serving.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:26 PM   #549
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The hate Novak gets is so wildly undeserved, and it's primarily because he beats Roger and Rafa so much. The only thing he does that's annoying is take 72 bounces before serving.
Also known as 'The Cilic'
Old 01-30-2020, 01:45 PM   #550
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I don't think he gets that much hate, but I think it bothers Djokovic and his fans that he will never be as beloved as Roger and Rafa, no matter how many slams he wins. hate to admit it, but Kyrgios spoke truth on this one.

I'd say it's mostly due to him not having as strong a signature characteristic as the other two that fans can identify with. Roger is loved for his beautiful/elegant game and demeanor, and Rafa for his fire and unbreakable will. This comparison has been made before, but cheering for Djoker is kind of like cheering for an android. a game with zero weaknesses but not as much personality is just not everyone's cup of tea.

that being said, a couple more majors and if anyone wants to crown him GOAT then and there (or Rafa), this Fedfan won't protest. I know who my greatest will always be, but it's close enough now that it's simply a matter of taste.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #551
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

No doubt it seriously bugs Novak that he doesn't get the love of Roger and Rafa. But that hatred (or lack of love) has been a major asset in his ascent to likely ending as the greatest with virtually all the biggest records his. It seems like the more the crowd is against him, the better he plays. Wasn't always like that earlier in his career, but since that 2011 demolition season he's used the hate to fuel him better than any athlete I can remember.
Old 01-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #552
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he certainly gets the most love at the Aussie Open compared to the other grand slam events. Probably has a lot to do with the large Serbian community (more in Sydney than in Melbourne) that reside in Australia.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:41 PM   #553
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

TSN5 has the mixed doubles semi-final match featuring Gaby Dabrowski and her partner Henri Kontinen.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #554
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, quite the comeback in that last service game (down love-40) to win four straight points and close out the first set 6-3. Dabrowski/Kontinen one set away from the finals.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:47 PM   #555
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Match tie-break required to decide who's going to the mixed doubles finals.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:59 PM   #556
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well poop, they played very well in the first set, but not so great after that.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #557
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thiem with a huge win, but give Zverev credit he played very well. It was only a matter of time before he figured out playing best of 5 matches and I'm confident he has given his run here in Australia. If he doesn't win a major in the next 2 years I will be shocked.

How much gas does Thiem have left is the question after playing for 7 hrs his last 2 matches while Djokovic has pretty much cruised the entire tournament. When Nadal won his only AO title he defeated Verdasco in a 5hr classic before taking out Fed in another 4 hr classic so it can be done. Poor Thiem he has made 3 finals in his career and they just happen to be against Nadal at the French twice and Djokovic at the AO. For an encore he now has to play Federer at Wimbledon to complete the hat trick of GOATs in their natural habitats.

If Thiem wins, he will move to world #3 and cement his status as one of the best players playing today and the first of the next gen to win a major.

If Djokovic wins he will win his 17th Grand Slam and will put him in great position to pass Federer's 20 Grand Slams. As well he will return to world #1 and have a great shot at beating Fed's record weeks at #1.

My prediction is Thiem in a 5 set classic that we will be talking about for years. I feel his one handed backhand will give Djokovic trouble much like Wawrinka's and Thiem can take confidence from beating Djokovic at the French and World Tour Finals last year.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #558
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Aussie Open is the only grand slam that plays the men's semi-finals matches on different days. How much of an advantage does Djoker have with an extra day of rest?
Old 01-31-2020, 07:49 AM   #559
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1223224180407074819
Old 01-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #560
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

not a whole lot of positive spin can be put on Thiem's side, but you had to force it you could say that he's been battle tested in high pressure situations, while Djoker hasn't really needed to use his highest gear yet.

I think I'm gonna cheer for the one handed backhand guy, gives me a bit of that vintage Stanimal feeling.