Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2020, 01:12 PM   #1601
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I saw Onward the day before the theatres closed. It wasn't great or anything but it's probably a fine diversion for little kids. Not really up to Pixar's standards, though. I found Chris Pratt's character unbearably annoying.

It'll be on Disney+ in a couple weeks so can't hurt to give it a watch if you didn't get a chance to see it in theatres.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #1602
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Rented Jojo Rabbit last night. It was incredible and maybe now my pick for the best movie from last year.
I cant say enough good things about that movie. Its easily on my short list for best movie from last year.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #1603
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Just watched The Hunt.

It was pretty great! I was pleasantly surprised.

Black comedy similar to “Ready or Not”.
I'm guessing you're not referring to the movie The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen. It was also pretty great, but I can't see anyone describing it as a dark comedy.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:34 PM   #1604
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I'm guessing you're not referring to the movie The Hunt with Mads Mikkelsen. It was also pretty great, but I can't see anyone describing it as a dark comedy.
Pretty sure he meant this one -> The Hunt (2020)

I saw it as well. Very funny and entertaining.

Betty Gilpin was excellent in her role.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #1605
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I cant say enough good things about that movie. Its easily on my short list for best movie from last year.
Watched it with my 14 year old. Fantastic movie.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:23 PM   #1606
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I saw Onward the day before the theatres closed. It wasn't great or anything but it's probably a fine diversion for little kids. Not really up to Pixar's standards, though. I found Chris Pratt's character unbearably annoying.
For reference, Chris Pratt's character is every D&D player/Dungeon Master in Pixar form. I loved this movie, as did my 13 year old D&D player son.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #1607
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

My kid wanted to watch The Dead Don't Die. Great cast but I don't know if I've ever seen a movie that missed its mark more than this one. I get his message at the end but by that point I really didn't care anymore.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #1608
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

A couple of weeks ago I threw Contagion on my Plex server when the Covid situation was still isolated to China, figured I'd watch it with my wife as she's never seen it. Forgot about it until now, and now I'm concerned that it'll be way too real
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #1609
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
A couple of weeks ago I threw Contagion on my Plex server when the Covid situation was still isolated to China, figured I'd watch it with my wife as she's never seen it. Forgot about it until now, and now I'm concerned that it'll be way too real
In the film, if I recall, the death rate was 20% of cases which is 20 times worse than the current COVID crisis. That said, the movie is very realistic about the political and economic fall-out of a pandemic. Lots of things in that film are things we are seeing now.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:31 PM   #1610
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
For reference, Chris Pratt's character is every D&D player/Dungeon Master in Pixar form. I loved this movie, as did my 13 year old D&D player son.
Glad you liked it!
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:07 PM   #1611
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bloodshot. The best comedy I've seen in a long time, also with spectacular visuals.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:08 AM   #1612
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ha. I just watched it tonight. Kind of eerie seeing how it plays out to be honest. A couple of similarities.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:28 AM   #1613
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Finally watched this last night and it lived up to the billing. If I had an Oscar vote I would have had a hard time not giving this one best picture.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:19 PM   #1614
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Wife and I made it about halfway through Once Upon a Time In Hollywood last night before the kids had to go to bed, then we were too tired to watch more. Does it pick up at all in the 2nd half? Over an hour in the movie and it feels like nothing has happened, I heard it was a slow burn but this feels like an editor wasn't doing their job
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #1615
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We watched Uncut Gems last night with Adam Sandler. Pretty good though i agree with my wife that it was essentially 2 hours of Sandler yelling which makes it a bit of an intense watch.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #1616
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Rocketman.

Meh, 5.5/10.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #1617
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wife and I made it about halfway through Once Upon a Time In Hollywood last night before the kids had to go to bed, then we were too tired to watch more. Does it pick up at all in the 2nd half? Over an hour in the movie and it feels like nothing has happened, I heard it was a slow burn but this feels like an editor wasn't doing their job
Oh the back half is the best half as it is with all tarantino movies. 1st half: setting the table, 2nd half: build up then explosive finish.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #1618
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched couple of more flicks on demand last two nights:

Midway: Some movie experiences suffer because you had unrealistically high expectations going in. This had the opposite effect. Expected something unwatchable, and it was an OK popcorn flick. Absolutely no acting to speak of but easy to watch. My teenagers liked it, as it gave them a high level overview of the events and major players of the war in the Pacific. Worth the $5 for this family.

The Gentlemen: This was on another level than Midway. Stylish, well acted gangster type film. Some nice laughs and a few twists. This one had the higher price tag since it was in theatres ($15) but worth it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:56 PM   #1619
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Recently viewed movies:

1. Richard Jewell
Awesome movie. Really puts the screws to the FBI and the media. Really hammered home why I dislike society as it is today. Man does his job so good the ego of others cannot comprehend how a tub of lard did it better than themselves, the experts.

I loved the Olivia Wilde character as she was a bloodthirsty shark and then realized how terribly she screwed up.

2. The Gentlemen
Guy Ritchie back doing what he is best known for and I loved this one the most put of all his cockney gangster movies.

3. The Invisible Man
Big old meh and dont see how this ties into the same universe as The Mummy. Maybe itll be a Marvel-esque multi movie build but I really didnt like this one aside from some of the things an invisible man could do.

4. Jojo Rabbit
C,mon! Can I get just a tiny Heil?

5. Bombshell
Amazing acting all the way around. John Lithgow is so underrated.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:56 PM   #1620
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched Jojo Rabbit last night. Amazing film.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post: