Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-19-2020, 01:43 PM   #1441
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw 1917, yeah it's really good, those wide angle shots are incredible! I'm a sucker for historical wars, but I still greatly enjoyed it. I didn't think it was as good as Dunkirk - very different movies too - but it was still very good.

It was actually my first time in a movie theater since I saw Dunkirk almost 3 years ago, man have theaters changed! The leather recliner seats are awesome, and all the food options now are great. It's like an overpriced 7/11 in there. Good to see they finally are trying to improve the experience, as they know they're in trouble with the rise of home theatres.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 01:48 PM   #1442
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sorry but Dunkirk was absolute crap. Not sure why Nolan thought it would be a great idea to make a war movie with no blood. What was the point of that?

The opening 10 minutes of 1917 was more exciting than the entire Dunkirk movie.

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 02-19-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 02:03 PM   #1443
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Has Nolan made an R-rated pic since his Memento/Insomnia days? I think everything he's made since has been aimed at wider audiences. I don't think anything more than a PG13 was ever in consideration for Dunkirk.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #1444
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Saw 1917, yeah it's really good, those wide angle shots are incredible! I'm a sucker for historical wars, but I still greatly enjoyed it. I didn't think it was as good as Dunkirk - very different movies too - but it was still very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
The opening 10 minutes of 1917 was more exciting than the entire Dunkirk movie.
1917, was a mixed bag for me.

Some of it was good, but some of it was well poor.

Visually it had some stunning parts.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #1445
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
If they're reviewing bad movies, why would they review Master of Disguise?

That film is a masterpiece and anyone who says differently is obviously not turtley enough for the turtle club.

Huh, I never realized Mitch McConnell had a career in film before politics.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #1446
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Birds of Prey was genuinely the closest I've ever come to walking out of a theatre, just a nightmare of a movie. It could be used as an accessory to a CIA enhanced interrogation session.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #1447
Flamesguy_SJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I started listening to How Did That Get Made? podcast. Reviews of bad movies are one of my favorite things.

Ex. Master of Disguise. The Hottie and the Nottie.
Their reviews of the Fast & Furious movies are amazing, I highly recommend going back and listening to them.
Flamesguy_SJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesguy_SJ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #1448
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I started listening to How Did That Get Made? podcast. Reviews of bad movies are one of my favorite things.
My favorite podcast right now. Hilarious.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:16 PM   #1449
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:

Ex. Master of Disguise. The Hottie and the Nottie.
That sounds worth my time. Do you have to have seen the bad movies in question?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 09:17 PM   #1450
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Birds of Prey was genuinely the closest I've ever come to walking out of a theatre, just a nightmare of a movie. It could be used as an accessory to a CIA enhanced interrogation session.
Were you in forced isolation and didn't read anything about the film before hand?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:35 PM   #1451
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Nope, it's great with or without. Jason Mantzoukas is a treasure.

It's How Did This Get Made? btw.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2020, 11:42 PM   #1452
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've always thought that bad movies are an artform of their own, I'm not talking about the movies that are meant to be bad or designed to be a cult style movie. But the movies where the director and the actors thought they were onto something, and completely missed the mark. I've also never counted sequels as bad movies with the exception of the highlander sequels.

But movies where the director and actors think they've done brilliant work, leave the premiere in shame and fan blaming, then watch the film years later and realize that they really made a horrible crapburger.

My friend and I came up with the list, it is our special collection of utterly dreadful movies, its almost impossible to get on the list because to get on the list, a movie cannot have one single redeemable scene, on snippet of dialogue or a action sequence or a moment of good acting that almost but not quite redeems the movie. Therefore to get on the list is equivalent to receiving a life time achievement award.

To summerize to make the list

Cannot be a sequel

Cannot be a film that's intentionally bad, or a low budget rip off of another film
Can have no redeemable scenes.
We were going to induct Ed Wood into the List Hall of fame but none of his movies ever made the list, and his movies were so bad that they were brilliant.

Stunningly the list includes "Meet Joe Black", "The Devil wears Prada" Richie Rich, Tomcats. and the Broderick Godzilla.

There were several movies that came close and fell just short because they had one redeemable scene.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 02-19-2020 at 11:50 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:01 AM   #1453
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

This recent RLM review where Mike heaps praise on Freddy Got Fingered got me thinking of films that were originally planned but ended up redeemed after time. Starship Troopers is the big one for me with barely anyone originally understanding the satire. Showgirls is another one that could be praised as a satire although I’m not sure if this was the directors intention.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:32 AM   #1454
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
This recent RLM review where Mike heaps praise on Freddy Got Fingered got me thinking of films that were originally planned but ended up redeemed after time. Starship Troopers is the big one for me with barely anyone originally understanding the satire. Showgirls is another one that could be praised as a satire although I’m not sure if this was the directors intention.

Don't get me wrong, I like Starship Troopers, but a major reason it was panned wasn't because people didn't get the satire, it's because the movie forgets it's satire about 2/3rds of the way through (coincidentally when the movie goes from "awesome" to "mediocre") and morphs into the jingoist pap it's was originally skewing.

Freddy Got Fingered however is a treasure and Green maintains true to his vision throughout the entire film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 02-20-2020 at 05:41 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:04 AM   #1455
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw Starship Troopers in theatres the weekend it was released in a packed Northland Mall theatre and the crowd loved it. I was always genuinely surprised that it flew over the heads of most critics.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:14 AM   #1456
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
No they spend at least a full hour explaining the whole mess, and they play a few clips. A week before each new episode they do announce which movie they are doing next, if you want to see it before they review it. They do live shows all over North America.

https://www.hdtgminfo.com/

Related - Ebert's Most Hated (I think there was a book too):
https://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jo...rts-most-hated

Last edited by troutman; 02-20-2020 at 10:10 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:30 AM   #1457
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I saw Starship Troopers in theatres the weekend it was released in a packed Northland Mall theatre and the crowd loved it. I was always genuinely surprised that it flew over the heads of most critics.
That movie is so underrated. It's great! So much better than any of the new Star Wars movies.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #1458
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I'm confused. If you don't like certain genres/franchises then don't pay to watch them. Seems a controllable solution.

I think the Transformer movies are the lowest of the low in blockbuster entertainment. They don't get a dollar from me for that reason, but I don't care if they keep making them for people that enjoy them. It hasn't hindered the production of quality films and entertainment that I enjoy.
Okay, now imagine every second movie coming out is a Transformers spin off. I hate super hero movies, but they're hard to avoid because I've typically seen everything else before I have to suck it up and go to one of these snooze-fests with bad jokes.

Movie theaters are great. I love the seats, I love the popcorn, I love the big screen, I love the sound. It's awesome just zoning out with a giant Diet Cherry Vanilla Mr. Pibb for two hours. What isn't awesome is watching crappy comic movies over and over. They're all the physical ####s.

It's totally reasonable for people who don't buy into the super hero universe/world/costume crap to be annoyed at how many of these movies come out. I'd way rather studios put effort into other genres, but I guess as long as we all keep going, they're going to keep making them. Hopefully a few more BOP-type bombs straighten them out.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #1459
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay, now imagine every second movie coming out is a Transformers spin off. I hate super hero movies, but they're hard to avoid because I've typically seen everything else before I have to suck it up and go to one of these snooze-fests with bad jokes.

Movie theaters are great. I love the seats, I love the popcorn, I love the big screen, I love the sound. It's awesome just zoning out with a giant Diet Cherry Vanilla Mr. Pibb for two hours. What isn't awesome is watching crappy comic movies over and over. They're all the physical ####s.

It's totally reasonable for people who don't buy into the super hero universe/world/costume crap to be annoyed at how many of these movies come out. I'd way rather studios put effort into other genres, but I guess as long as we all keep going, they're going to keep making them. Hopefully a few more BOP-type bombs straighten them out.
There are, literally, hundreds of films that come out each year that I do not spend money to see. Conservatively, 25% of those probably include marketing similar to those of the standard Marvel/DC installment. These aren't hard and fast numbers, of course, but I still somehow manage not to spend money on and experience something I don't want to spend money on or experience.

I don't know if it's reasonable for people to be annoyed at the amount of super hero movies, but it does seem unnecessary. Blockbuster cash cows haven't ruined cinema.

The concern is overblown.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:06 AM   #1460
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year there was a grand total of 6 superhero films that came out into theatres. There rank at the domestic box office was 1,6,7,9,21 and 44. Frankly I'd be more pissed at all the Disney live action remakes they are doing that keep making bank at the box office, how is the Lion King remake the 7th highest grossing film of ALL TIME! (All Time!)

And this notion that superhero films are ruining cinema is crazy, big blockbusters/franchises have always dominated the box office, superhero films are just the latest trend. 10 years ago the top 5 highest grossing films (Domestically) were: Avatar, Transformers, Twilight, UP and Harry Potter. 20 years ago the top 5 films were Star Wars, Sixth Sense, Toy Story 2, Austin Powers, The Matrix. And 30 years ago the top 5 films were Batman, Indiana Jones, Lethal Weapon, Look Who's Talking and Honey I shrunk the Kids even further back 40 years ago the top 5 were Kramer vs Kramer, Amytiville Horror, Rocky 2, Star Trek, Alien. Big franchises have always ruled the box office.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote