Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #1101
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
They're 16th in GA/GP, so not "one of the worst" unless you're being very broad in your definition. But keep twisting things to make your point re:Hamonic.
Team Hamonic left is now dead last in GA...double digits worse than the 30th place team
Old 03-21-2018, 11:46 PM   #1102
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Really a shame we couldn't convince Shanahan to work for us. He gets hired on and proceeds to hire Lou Lamoriello the architect of The Devils who made the Stanley Cup playoffs all but three times between 1988 and 2012, qualified for five Stanley Cup Finals (in 1995, 2000, 2001, 2003 and 2012) and won the Stanley Cup three times (in 1995, 2000 and 2003). This isnt even mentioning Babcock.

We instead get Burke who had a decent resume but he proceeds to hire or allows the hirings' of Treliving and Maloney the architects behind the great Phoenix Coyotes. We supplement this with Cameron who led the Senators to a first round out and missed the playoffs in the second year before being let go. We wonder why we continue to be a mediocre team. It starts from the top down. You get what you pay for as they say.
I'm sure Stevens, Neidermayer, and Brodeur would have made any GM look good. Sometimes your top 5 picks turn into generational talents and other times they turn into Sam Bennett. A lot is luck. If Lou is the GM of any other team than Toronto he likely isn't able to sign Babcock. Make Babcock the Flames coach and give us Auston Matthews as our number 1 center and I think were doing pretty good.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:38 AM   #1103
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
I'm sure Stevens, Neidermayer, and Brodeur would have made any GM look good. Sometimes your top 5 picks turn into generational talents and other times they turn into Sam Bennett. A lot is luck. If Lou is the GM of any other team than Toronto he likely isn't able to sign Babcock. Make Babcock the Flames coach and give us Auston Matthews as our number 1 center and I think were doing pretty good.
Luck has favoured Lou For 30 years. Maybe it isn’t luck at that point. When you have been that successful for that long. We could certainly have used some more luck of that variety. Austin Matthews doesn’t make the Leafs a good team on his own just like Conner doesn’t make the Oilers. Give credit where it is due it’s not just being lucky. I’m not seeing how this is an endorsement for our current management team either way. They aren’t in the same realm it’s pretty obvious. Shanahan didn’t want to work for the Flames though so it’s a moot point but I wonder if things would have turned out different.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:30 AM   #1104
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
And at the same time hockey is a team game and Stanley cup winning teams give all players on that team the pedigree.

Martin Brodeur was a darn good clutch goalie but Lou, Jacques Lemaire and the team in front perfecting the trap sure didn’t hurt his career.

*There is a ton of value in defining roles and finding guys who fit them like Ken Daneyko

The reason Lou basically had a dynasty isn’t those few assets alone, it is all of the other pieces. Coaches and players, and identity and commitment
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 01:33 AM   #1105
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 03-22-2018 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:40 AM   #1106
Jagermeister
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If this team had even a decent powerplay we would have at least 3+ wins on the season

If the team wasn't so god damn fragile when things go bad we would probably have 3+ wins on the season.

The Hamonic deal isn't bad if this team was in the playoffs.

If we can fix the first two issues, this team doesn't look that bad. How that gets fixed? I don't know maybe a new coach helps... but it seems year after year the Flames try to fix one hole and a new one opens up. Very frustrating
The Following User Says Thank You to Jagermeister For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 08:05 AM   #1107
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
If this team had even a decent powerplay we would have at least 3+ wins on the season

If the team wasn't so god damn fragile when things go bad we would probably have 3+ wins on the season.

The Hamonic deal isn't bad if this team was in the playoffs.

If we can fix the first two issues, this team doesn't look that bad. How that gets fixed? I don't know maybe a new coach helps... but it seems year after year the Flames try to fix one hole and a new one opens up. Very frustrating
A whole lot of ifs. The problem is this team is not making the playoffs and all these issues are exposed. Major change needs to happen. This is not a good rebuild.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #1108
RedMan12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Where's this proof?
The only thing Hamonic has contributed to Calgary is charity work. I don't even need to look at his stats. How many goals, assists, hits, shots and blocks does he have? Kris Russell is better.

You lack rawness, you lack passion, you couldn't make it through war without rations.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #1109
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been a rough year for the flames, but man there's a lot of teams facing misery....

Flames - miss the playoffs, trade away the lottery pick.. No high round picks this draft, major arena concerns, with relocation bs threats inevitably coming

Habs - sign price to a major extension, weber trade looks worse and worse... Rebuild, retool, gm seems useless

Sens - disaster year after being a conference finalist, trade and lose the turris deal, lose methot, major issues with their future hof dman who may be on his way out, an owner that continues to distance himself from the fanbase to the point where there's billboards being put up against him

Isles - about to potentially lose the face of the franchise, another year no success, poor goaltending

Oilers - terrible moves by gm, cap about to make things that much harder

I'd add arizona and buffalo but they are always in this position...

Which fanbase deserves the boo-hoo award the most?

Last edited by bubbsy; 03-22-2018 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 AM   #1110
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers were supposed to win the cup and are 11 points worse than the "terrible Flames"
Old 03-22-2018, 08:42 AM   #1111
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Oilers were supposed to win the cup and are 11 points worse than the "terrible Flames"
Absolutely. Sucks for them more today. Who's gonna feel better lottery ball and draft day
Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #1112
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving bungled the 2015-16 season by losing Byron on waivers and saddling the team with the 3-headed goalie monster, but that was a relatively minor gamble that turned out horrible in retrospect. The coaching hires are the biggest profile move in terms of a GM putting his stamp on the team.

Treliving needs to accept that he is only there to provide for the roster. Nothing more. None of this nonsense about we need to play a "certain way". No interference whatsoever. If the mantra is "we will outwork our opponent" then sure, that's what most coaches want anyway. But what he did in hiring Gulutzan was to hire a "yes man" coach in order to get the team playing the way HE envisioned - a puck possession based team, an advanced stat darling.

This is the exact sort of rookie GM mistake I had feared he would make and the exact sort of move that Burke is in place to veto (by all accounts Burkie was very impressed by Gulutzan's interview, so he fell into the trap too). Brad's next coaching hire is going to be his true legacy to this team. Not the Dougie or Hamonic trades, not the Gaudreau/Monahan/Backlund signings. He'd better get someone who knows how to win in this league.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #1113
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Whataboutism is never not a pathetic argument.

What the Oilers did has no relevance whatsoever to whether or not the Flames have been terrible this year.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:57 AM   #1114
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

It really would have been nice if some of our first rounders from 2013 would have panned out... Emile Poirier, Morgan Klimchuk. We do need to trade for some scoring, but we can only acquire what other teams are willing to trade. I'm really hoping for a step forward from Bennett and Jankowski next season, that could really help us. Or maybe guys like Mangiapane, Dube, or Foo could surprise us and help solidify our bottom 6.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #1115
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMan12 View Post
A whole lot of ifs. The problem is this team is not making the playoffs and all these issues are exposed. Major change needs to happen. This is not a good rebuild.

Two "ifs" is a lot?

Seems pretty simple and straightforward to me.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #1116
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I like to think that the reason Treliving didn't make a big splash at the deadline is because he knows exactly what he has here, a team that isn't ready yet. That last post season was an anomaly.
Maybe he knew that at the start of the year, maybe he figured it out as the season progressed but I believe he sees the team as they are, bottom half of the league. He hung on to his assets with the intent of making needed moves this off season. Why go all in (I don't believe the addition of Hamonic was an all in move) if you are convinced it will be for naught.

Keep Treliving. I think he has a good handle on what he has here. I'd like to give him more time.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #1117
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty sure Treliving said this was a 100 point team.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #1118
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Whataboutism is never not a pathetic argument.

What the Oilers did has no relevance whatsoever to whether or not the Flames have been terrible this year.
Context matters

I was responding to a post about other teams misery not excusing the Flames.

I think we can add Dallas to that group...WTF is wrong with that team? Pretty much everyone picked them as most improved.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:32 AM   #1119
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Gulutzan certainly said he thought this could be a 100 point team.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...00-point-club/
Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #1120
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Pretty sure Treliving said this was a 100 point team.
Wasn't that GG?